Asian trawler mast innards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
I am fabricating a way to remove the gizzard-cutter wire stays and secure the mast another way. ( Pics/method coming if successful)
Mast seems like a FG shell , have no idea what's inside except wires for anchor & spreader lights. Plug exits at base, goes into female receptacle. 3 large bolts thru base side to side.
Anybody know what's inside?
1984 lien Hwa 30ft same as Senator, etc

Do you have an inspection camera that you could stick it there? I would guess it is likely empty but that is just a guess.

Mine is a solid piece of wood. I had a guy cut off about a foot and it was solid wood with the anchor wire inside.

There is nothing inside of my (probably identical) mast on my Tung Hwa 30 (aka Lien Hwa Senator, etc.) It is hollow. The three bolts go through a built up teak shoe that fits inside the hollow mast. That teak is bolted to the deck and an aluminum plate (on the inside of the galley cabin cupboard). The mast is very light. My Radar is mounted on it and that probably weighs more than the mast and spreaders. I have removed it by myself, but a helper makes it a breeze.

I've been looking into making it a tabernacle mast. My air height is 16.5 feet, which is nice for the radar. But locally the openings for boat houses for a 30 foot boat are more like 14 feet high. I'd need to buy a boat house for a 50' boat. I could save myself 30K by having a tabernacle mast. Otherwise, no reason for me.

THANKS, exactly what I needed. So I see you have a radar even with the spreaders. There is a 'Bump" on the front of the mast, was wondering how strong/thick whatever it is. BTW, my mast is about 1/2 way fwd on my bridge. Tabernacle is a great idea, have one made or watch for used?

My radar sits on a custom stainless platform done by a prior owner. I haven't really looked at it too much. The tabernacle mast would likely be the existing mast converted. Since there are no stays, the hinge would need to be substantial and the mast reinforced at the pivot point. That project is fairly far down on the list.

Is your mast half way fwd on the bridge? Mine is, and I am putting a bimini top on. The aft bow will almost touch the mast. If yours is similar, my solution may work for you too

The mast on my 83 Albin 40 was wood, solid square at the base and hollow round above.
Mounted at the aft end of the flybridge and had a pivot mount with 2 bolts. Remove top bolt the lower.
Only had 2 permanent cables both run forward to the side of the bridge structure.
The aft stays were lines to the end of the boom and I put mount on the rear of the aft cabin so nothing was ever in the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom