Webasto BlueCool chilled water system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Has anyone installed this system and have experience with it? How low of startup and operating power draw have you experienced?

This is a digital inverter system.

It has a storage capacity of 17,000 btu. That might keep a forward berth cool all night, but only if it has been cooled down first by a genset driven A/C system.

Over an eight hour sleeping period, that amounts to only 2,000 btu/hour.

It is an interesting idea, probably driven by new regs prohibiting idling of truck diesels. It should work well in a truck's cab. But those are smaller spaces and probably have better insulation than a boat.

David

I looked and did not see a storage capacity , except perhaps what is cool in the coolant circuit or tank. No eutetic found..

We have used Carrier systems that are similar.

Only coolant is plumbed thru out the boat so a hole drilled in the wrong place is easy to repair.

Having a sealed freon section allows any of the units to be returned for repair , no in board techs required. A spare cold also be carried.

If the compressor is a multi speed scroll unit , it might operate slowly enough to reduce electric draw , although multiple in cabin fans may still be using power.

To me the biggest draw is the multiple compressors , so 2 or more can have a great total output (we used 3)
And the EZ use of multiple zones.

I'm referring to the 50,000 btu chiller unit

I think you are mis reading the specifications for the BlueCool unit. 50,000 btu/hr is enough for most houses or a 50' yacht.

The storage unit's thermal storage capacity is rated at 17,000 btu or 5 KWHr. (I think the units for storage capacity below are misstated. Hey even Webasto can make a mistake.)

You can infer the unit's instantaneous cooling capacity from the air flow rate. 150 CFM at 20 deg temp drop is about 3,000 btu/hr.

Here are the specs (not sure if this copy will read right):

BlueCool / BlueCool Hybrid Specification
Thermal Storage 17,000 Btu/h / 5 kW
Power Consumption During Cooling 3.5 – 10 Amps
System Weight 326 lbs / 150 kg
Refrigerant R134A
Thermal Storage Unit Dimensions 26 x 25.5 x 33 in / 660 x 650 x 850 mm
Air Handler Dimensions 20 x 24.5 x 8 in / 509 x 624x 204 mm
Air Flow (max output) 150 cfm / 88m3/h
Cooling Duration Up to 10 hours / Unlimited (Hybrid only)
Noise < 62 db (A)
Vehicle Battery System 4 - Starting Batteries. No Additional Batteries Required
Hotel Load 2 - 120 Volt AC Outlets w/GFCI Protection (Hybrid only)
Battery Charger 30 Amp (Hybrid only)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom