Washer/Dryer Usage on Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
42 foot boat here.... it came to me with a Splendide combo washer/dryer, or as I call it, a “washer no dryer!”

I tried to use the dryer a few times. It ran for literally hours, used a lot of water (hot water provides the drying heat). Since then, I have simply hung wet clothes on a wooden drying rack. Easy-peasy! If I were going to replace this unit, I would either get a vented model or a combo unit with a real dryer, or give up and only have a washer.

I do like having a washer aboard! (Don’t have a dishwasher or a water maker though)

You need a VENTED dryer/Splendide. The unvented ones are useless as dryers.

I agree! I would never install a ventless unit, based on my experience. However, the washing machine part is fine, so I don’t plan to replace it anytime soon.....

42 foot boat here.... it came to me with a Splendide combo washer/dryer, or as I call it, a “washer no dryer!”

I tried to use the dryer a few times. It ran for literally hours, used a lot of water (hot water provides the drying heat). Since then, I have simply hung wet clothes on a wooden drying rack. Easy-peasy! If I were going to replace this unit, I would either get a vented model or a combo unit with a real dryer, or give up and only have a washer.

I do like having a washer aboard! (Don’t have a dishwasher or a water maker though)

Off-topic, I’ve learned that a dishwasher is a real water saver. Ours has a pot scrub setting that allows us to go from table to dishwasher without rinsing. We run the dish machine every 4 to 5 days and sometimes longer. On the heavy-duty cycle it just runs longer, it doesn’t use any more water than the fast cycle.

On the other hand the clothes washer is a real water hog!

Splendide vented washer dryer onboard. Would replace it immediately if my 18 year old unit died.

As with any unit, you need to learn how to use it, and that means READING THE DIRECTIONS. If you don't follow the guidelines, you will probably be disappointed with the results. It takes about 11 gallons of water to do a load. So factor that in with regard to water capacity or having a water maker. Most of my use is when I take a slip for the night, as I usually have 7+ days of every day clothes. While I'll do sheets, blankets are saved for washing at home.

Ted

We have a 40 foot boat with a non-vented Splendide. Problem with non-vented dryer is trying to dry too large a load. We use the washer for personal items about 3 times a week, usually drying outside. We've found it very convenient to do laundry underway, running off the inverter. Sheets, bedspreads and other heavy items are washed at the marina's laundromat.

Our apartment sized Maytag washer used about 4 or 5 gallons IIRC on the econo-wash setting. I agree the dishwasher is a net water saver compared to normal manual washing. Just wait until it is full a let'r rip. Ours took about 5 gallons as well.

Most marinas and even other laundry facilities I have used really aren't dirty and far less people than other places such as grocery stores. Admit that is between Jersey and Florida.

They also often have good ventilation and/or air conditioning to keep heat and dust down.

We were fortunate that our boat came with an apartment sized stacked washer dryer combo. Shortly after moving onboard the dryer gave it up so we replaced it with apartment sized front loaders (vented).

Our rule is that boating doesn’t need to be “camping”. It’s nice to do laundry whenever we need it and not worry about finding a laundromat or hanging our clothes on lifelines.

Adjustments.jpg

Most marinas and even other laundry facilities I have used really aren't dirty and far less people than other places such as grocery stores. Admit that is between Jersey and Florida.

They also often have good ventilation and/or air conditioning to keep heat and dust down.

There is a huge difference between Florida and Washington on this subject. Up here we have 25% liveaboard rate which is really 40% after you count the sneakaboards. There is a waiting line most the time at the marina laundry facilities. The other issue, most of our marina’s are government owned
Florida’s are privately owned. Explains a lot of differing opinions between the two coasts.

I think a lot depends on your wardrobe. If you wear a shirt and tie to work everyday its different than retired and wearing gym shorts and T-shirts. If you dress like Mr & Mrs Howell you may need a dry cleaner on board. If you are entertaining guests frequently, have toddlers, have a set of sweaty work out clothes from the gym or or are a daily runner....etc. Too many variables for a general rule on this one.

I think a lot depends on your wardrobe. If you wear a shirt and tie to work everyday its different than retired and wearing gym shorts and T-shirts. If you dress like Mr & Mrs Howell you may need a dry cleaner on board. If you are entertaining guests frequently, have toddlers, have a set of sweaty work out clothes from the gym or or are a daily runner....etc. Too many variables for a general rule on this one.

My wardrobe is essentially the same t-shirts and shorts.
Find a comfortable make, buy 20, open 5, have 15 as replacements
And a dozen Hawaiian shirts for the odd occasion I need to walk amongst the dirt people.

They need washing at some stage
As do sheets, pillowcases and towels

Again...convenience is in the eye of the beholder.

In places like Florida, in the peak transient season...people roll in and do 5 loads of laundry at a whack and yes, you have to wait. If you see that and the people seem nice, ask them to calll when they ae going up to take their load out. Or like many people do, just pretend the machines are broke and go to a local laundromat.

When I was stationed in Wash, DC and living aboard. I had my uniforms at the local dry cleaners every week. Probably not an issue for cruisers, but I will admit there is a big difference in cruising in the tropics and up North when it comes to what winds up in the hamper every week.

It still boils down to whether a boat has room for a W/D, then what size, then actual need for a unit(s). Even then there is how a person handles inconvenience. I know people who DON"T use the marina machines because they are often too small to handle really large loads so they prefer to use the big ones at the commercial laundromat and get it all done quick! They would laugh at trying to use a Splendide.

My wardrobe is essentially the same t-shirts and shorts.
Find a comfortable make, buy 20, open 5, have 15 as replacements
And a dozen Hawaiian shirts for the odd occasion I need to walk amongst the dirt people.

They need washing at some stage
As do sheets, pillowcases and towels

The problem with Hawaiian shirts is that they need ironing after washing. That means either a commercial laundry, doing it yourself or looking like you slept in your clothes. Better to buy collared polo shirts that don’t need all the fuss to look good.

The problem with Hawaiian shirts is that they need ironing after washing. That means either a commercial laundry, doing it yourself or looking like you slept in your clothes. Better to buy collared polo shirts that don’t need all the fuss to look good.

I like the rayon "Hawaiian" shirts which require little to no ironing and are very comfortable. However we did have a full size iron and ironing board on our boat if we felt the need to be tidy, more typically napkins and tablecloths .
Think I'm kidding?
L2S15AXVQrUx-v2JENTHAKHiQCuGuP63fmMv9rcK-SLo4A4aeetG8U1SJpliMAk25f-VGHpmmSJXIL-St1BYS9lH92wYu6pokPiF2bw_xDtxrU-v3YeX9AxxIZdQrBDWqLLzhUUbtrlKZm1HzhBjLBTCD1a-OI7eUL3Y8FxOBkmAkTnyM1PPIVAwOPICibrhfpv2097LCRVNIeu8Y6xIoxSm8ysYRVTAN6S9HeOZIzwvurH7hGRS5LFaxUN7ndbLEzviI4Mu5wkgevDLvMtCemxLbGFeA_CdOT4ikY4r92DfS0bSMKdA03Ztqs9AimtSgCh8SsspzThG8QkRpU3gFc-Ux2uAsB0Co-PjCBXuP4t5tyolLL-4LHqXKrNAMmuFmStfu_9NG8IxWQ5MdFvNVelLRLIPKKi9DhZ74aRkaWoaRAhpamR4QCX6tUSq8mAum2_gxgOECIgTOrE2HSJfRsxU1FL5og3dtpTmeEOV7HsYB0xNViDYIuXqNnQ9Hi427e9dGhSlFTaogunMnx5SlDVHg87ES2r9VgjsYF93X4DOnnNMUR2IckkL7PcxmL-UxcIDqpV7nJj8jKaK9_FDX9EbiHBF4DWFcDOUepebT1S2lwxYviUs3OvtoQ2oFf5m84hEklZLplEMUA_BdPlhpQ2TKVJoVaFEwftEiG6-Lh19gdYk375qO6RusYQP=w1000-h750-no

Ann would even iron the cotton/linen sheets for the guest twin beds which always elicited oohs and aahs from our friends.

My lifelong personal preference is to not wear clothes against my skin made from petroleum products: cotton, wool or silk only and mostly cotton. I have a closet full of Hawaiian shirts, but since they have become an identifier for a certain political faction I keep them there (boogaloo boys). I’m happy to wear synthetic outerwear though and if rayon works for you then more power to you.

Last edited:
On my AT34, I have a Splendide non-vented washer/dryer.
If I dont overload it, the results are pretty good. I wash my canvas shorts, light pull over shirts by Cottonseed. They come out almost dry, wrinkled and I dont care.

On my N46, I had a vented Splendide washer/dryer. Might have worked a bit better but the down side is the vent hose..... gotta keep reasonably clean.

This post sums it all up nicely. For the OP you now have plenty of views from which you can now make a decision which will fit your particular needs and desires.
Again...convenience is in the eye of the beholder.

In places like Florida, in the peak transient season...people roll in and do 5 loads of laundry at a whack and yes, you have to wait. If you see that and the people seem nice, ask them to calll when they ae going up to take their load out. Or like many people do, just pretend the machines are broke and go to a local laundromat.

When I was stationed in Wash, DC and living aboard. I had my uniforms at the local dry cleaners every week. Probably not an issue for cruisers, but I will admit there is a big difference in cruising in the tropics and up North when it comes to what winds up in the hamper every week.

It still boils down to whether a boat has room for a W/D, then what size, then actual need for a unit(s). Even then there is how a person handles inconvenience. I know people who DON"T use the marina machines because they are often too small to handle really large loads so they prefer to use the big ones at the commercial laundromat and get it all done quick! They would laugh at trying to use a Splendide.

They would laugh at trying to use a Splendide.
:iagree:I had a non-vented Splendide on a 54' Sport Fisher and it was definitely the most useless thing on the boat! :ermm:

I think...

- A non-vented combo unit is barely better than nothing

- A vented combo unit is infinitely better than nothing

- Separate washer dryer (vented) is infinitely better than a combo unit.

And based on the practicalities of your boat, you do the best you can.

What he says.

I think...

- A non-vented combo unit is barely better than nothing

- A vented combo unit is infinitely better than nothing

- Separate washer dryer (vented) is infinitely better than a combo unit.

And based on the practicalities of your boat, you do the best you can.

Non-vented combo unit: Have never had one, however, judging from what others have said on this thread I would avoid it like the plague.

Vented combo unit: I have had one, a Splendide, and think it is at least one of the better things since sliced bread. I was actually amazed at how it worked. I thought it would be useless, but it was great. It took almost 2 hours to do a load, but so what. Put stuff in with detergent, turn it on, walk away, and come back to dry stuff. Magic.

Stack washer and dryer: Have one aboard Mimi's Oasis now. Really like it. It's not magic like the Splendide because we have all seen them in small homes and apartments, but it works very well.

Overall, if you have the room for a washer/dryer or a washer and a dryer I think you would be foolish not to have one. If you have lived WITH a washer and a dryer all your life you will undoubtedly be very surprised how much of a pain it is to go without. There is often SOMETHING that needs washing and drying, or perhaps just drying (swim suits). And then, of course, when it is time to say goodbye to guests and clean sheets and pillow cases in anticipation of yet more guests, or just to leave the boat "shipshape", it sure beats hauling stuff to the marina laundry and waiting your turn. I did enough of that in college to last a lifetime.

'nuff said.

Wardrobe? We wear trunks, T shirts, and flops and wear them for a few days before they get washed. We are in the water a lot, so our biggest load is towels which can stand up on their own if they are not washed periodically. They key to these Spendide combo units, as others have noted, is not to overload them - small loads. Thankful we have one, especially now during C-19 in order to allow us to socially isolate.

I haven't ironed anything in over 30 years
Don't even own an iron.

We have a full size washing machine and use it once a week or so but we seldom go to marinas. (Dishwasher, used daily, is much more useful.)

We only cruise in the summer so don't absolutely need a dryer. We hang stuff to dry on one of theses placed in the bow or flying bridge.

For a boat (or a house) I would consider the new (ventless) heat-pump dryers that are coming on the market. I have read they use half as much energy as traditional vented dryers.

The condensing end of the heat pump heats the air going to the drum and the evaporating one takes the moisture out of the air which is then recycled. Neat!

Attachments

• drier.jpg
    drier.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 30
When we were bringing our current boat home from Virginia it was a pain to get change to operate the marinas laundromat machines. We went to 3 different banks in Virginia and they refused to even make change for a $20 bill since we were not customers of the banks. We were surprised that we couldn’t get change. Finally in Cape May we were able to get some rolls of quarters at Utches Marina. They had lots of rolls of quarters because it was so difficult to get quarters. We don’t have a washer and dryer in our current boat and miss it a lot when we are cruising.

I am always amazed at the problems some people have cruising and others seem to manage and deal with the same issues with hardly any.

I am always amazed at the problems some people have cruising and others seem to manage and deal with the same issues with hardly any.

I think there is a big difference between a "problem" and "issues" and chosing to cruise comfortably when you have the vessel and means to do so.

Based on your responses you clearly do not have a w/d, don't feel you need one, and feel that only bigger boats need or have them.

That's fine, your boat, your decision, but it's quite all right for people to decide to have them on board without deciding that they have introduced or are resolving a "problem" or "issue."

Last edited:
Thats really not what I am saying...not even close. Its pretty clear that most who have them like them....or the kind they have would work better if the accepted its limitations.

If you read my posts...I have said that on smaller boats they just have a hard time fitting aboard.

I also said I would probably have them if I had the room and I have measured many times trying to fit one.

I am saying that many of the issues/problems people have mentioned either are because they are not creative or forward looking....so buying a boat based on a W/D is being overthought....but if it is a "must have", one has to trade space on smaller boats or opt for a larger boat.

I agree they can be real convenient. I just disagree with many of the comments on using other facilities thus inflating the need for one. But having one would be great.

As for problems many boaters have about all kinds of things covered on TF....I find many other cruisers who seem to simply avoid or work around them.

Last edited:
Ironed napkins and silverware being let down by chocolate milk in 2L container and plastic cups. ;)

L2S15AXVQrUx-v2JENTHAKHiQCuGuP63fmMv9rcK-SLo4A4aeetG8U1SJpliMAk25f-VGHpmmSJXIL-St1BYS9lH92wYu6pokPiF2bw_xDtxrU-v3YeX9AxxIZdQrBDWqLLzhUUbtrlKZm1HzhBjLBTCD1a-OI7eUL3Y8FxOBkmAkTnyM1PPIVAwOPICibrhfpv2097LCRVNIeu8Y6xIoxSm8ysYRVTAN6S9HeOZIzwvurH7hGRS5LFaxUN7ndbLEzviI4Mu5wkgevDLvMtCemxLbGFeA_CdOT4ikY4r92DfS0bSMKdA03Ztqs9AimtSgCh8SsspzThG8QkRpU3gFc-Ux2uAsB0Co-PjCBXuP4t5tyolLL-4LHqXKrNAMmuFmStfu_9NG8IxWQ5MdFvNVelLRLIPKKi9DhZ74aRkaWoaRAhpamR4QCX6tUSq8mAum2_gxgOECIgTOrE2HSJfRsxU1FL5og3dtpTmeEOV7HsYB0xNViDYIuXqNnQ9Hi427e9dGhSlFTaogunMnx5SlDVHg87ES2r9VgjsYF93X4DOnnNMUR2IckkL7PcxmL-UxcIDqpV7nJj8jKaK9_FDX9EbiHBF4DWFcDOUepebT1S2lwxYviUs3OvtoQ2oFf5m84hEklZLplEMUA_BdPlhpQ2TKVJoVaFEwftEiG6-Lh19gdYk375qO6RusYQP=w1000-h750-no

Thats really not what I am saying...not even close. Its pretty clear that most who have them like them....or the kind they have would work better if the accepted its limitations.

If you read my posts...I have said that on smaller boats they just have a hard time fitting aboard.

I also said I would probably have them if I had the room and I have measured many times trying to fit one.

I am saying that many of the issues/problems people have mentioned either are because they are not creative or forward looking....so buying a boat based on a W/D is being overthought....but if it is a "must have", one has to trade space on smaller boats or opt for a larger boat.

I agree they can be real convenient. I just disagree with many of the comments on using other facilities thus inflating the need for one. But having one would be great.

As for problems many boaters have about all kinds of things covered on TF....I find many other cruisers who seem to simply avoid or work around them.

OK, fair enough.

Ironed napkins and silverware being let down by chocolate milk in 2L container and plastic cups. ;)

Like the plastic butter dish and koozie?

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_195609489.jpg
    IMG_20190514_195609489.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom