Sundeck screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We’re sitting at anchor baking in the late afternoon sun and wishing we had sunscreens. We’d like to make moveable screens out of Phifertex for the sundeck, able to slide around to the sunny side of the boat. I’ve seen some boats with channels on the underside of the boat deck perimeter used to support screens or canvas. Has anyone installed anything like this? What did you use and how does it hold up in the marine environment.

We have a keder rail system on our wraparound canvass on the cockpit,we remove,
this in the hot months,and use the same rail type hangers and attach bamboo blinds,
that can be moved around easily and you can raise them.
Looks great,and is very functional.All parts.at any good sunbrella dealer can supply them

Yes, they are called Keder strips or rails. You sew a bolt rope onto the panel and it slides into the Keder strip. Look at Sailrite.com they have all the materials whether you DIY or hire it done. You can see what is available and then plan how to fabricate the panels.

Yup Sailtite.com has the track and welt.
When I made ours I put zips directly on the welt and leave them in place most of the time. Zip the screen on place.
I used 3 grommets in the bottom with bungee type cord loops that attach to hooks hidden underside of rub rail.
I didnt wrap around the side but I've seen some use one side panel that will zip on either Port or stbd inside out on one side to get mirror image. You just need to be careful when arranging zips so swapping sides works.
If you buy the ladder rail that attaches with screws in the openning of the track because to also buy the screws and a driver bit as they have a very small head that doesn't interfere with the welt.
RockfordSupply.com has as assortment of sun screen material at good prices. Last white screen I bought was a 2nd and good $.

Attachments

• 20190611_171617.jpg
    20190611_171617.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
We kept it simple and put grommets on our sun screen with stainless carabiners and eye hooks attached to the hard top, radar arch and Bimini. It moves between our cockpit, aft fly bridge and front of fly bridge. Did the same on our sun deck trawler previously. We just hang it where ever we want the shade to be.

We’re sitting at anchor baking in the late afternoon sun and wishing we had sunscreens. We’d like to make moveable screens out of Phifertex for the sundeck, able to slide around to the sunny side of the boat. I’ve seen some boats with channels on the underside of the boat deck perimeter used to support screens or canvas. Has anyone installed anything like this? What did you use and how does it hold up in the marine environment.
Ian,
We made our sunscreens for Salty using Phifertex 70% so as to allow more airflow. We used 1" webbing straps with velcro to attach to the rail, and short webbing tabs with snap buttons on the top. The side screen was laid out to attach to either port or starboard side. The stern screen two sections, the P&S corners, and the side screen attach together with velcro tabs. The most difficult part of the project was lofting the two corner sections...different radius top and bottom.
Have fun!imgcache0.13063995.jpeg20170905_101428.jpeg20170905_101419.jpeg

I had Phifertex screens made to shade the cockpit of my boat last year. They are 4 pieces that all zip together, so I can choose how to use them. I love them! One of the best things I have added to the boat :-D

(You can see them in my avatar photo)

I use Sunbrella facing to bind the edges, it is 2” wide so you can wrap it around the edge of the Pfifertex and get a 1” bound edge to put snaps or grommets into. Or you can sew a zipper to it. Ir you are doing it yourself use Tenara thread or insist on it if you have the work done by someone else, it will last the lifetime of the material.

We are doing ours KISS
Bought a roll of 90% UV block black shade cloth
Pocket sewn top and bottom to accept 20mm PVC tube (have sewing machine and UV thread onboard)
Top attached to roof by drilling small holes through drip lip and tieing on with s/s mig welder wire
Bottom attached to rails with 3mm vb cord
Simple and cheap

Great ideas all, thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom