Sideshift Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
We want to add both bow and stern thrusters to our Formula 41PC. We have quotes for standard thrusters such as Sidepower and the cost is reasonable but when I look at the installation areas in the boat I find there isn’t room without relocating quite a bit of equipment. In the bow I would probably have to relocate the forward A/C. In the stern I would have to relocate the genset muffler, water heater and probably 8 to 10 hoses and water pipes. So I started looking at the Sideshift thrusters. I can install them without relocating anything. Also they are fairly easy installs. Then there is cost, while I was willing to spend the $24K for traditional thrusters, the Sideshift will cost about $12K if I do the installation myself.

So my question is does anyone have any experience with these thrusters? Good or bad?

Yes, my father's first trawler had a sideshift 24V stern thruster that came with the boat. It is basically two electric trolling motors mounted back to back and they are both reversible so both props spin in either direction. Eventually the shaft seal failed on one motor and we replaced the motor, the company was good to work with and the replacement was around $1k if I recall correctly. I believe the unit was about 7 years old when it failed. After the boat sold, the next owner did have problems with the mounting failing, it uses basically two stainless straps to hold the motor assembly to a bracket. They are probably less robust than the alternatives and don't have any protection around the props but are relatively cheap and easy to install. If I were in your shoes and having a custom swim platform extension, I would incorporate the stern bracket to mount to the swim platform rather than the transom and if possible include a hinge so it can be lifted out of the water when the boat won't be in use for a longer period of time. I don't have any experience with the bow mounted units, they look goofy and exposed in my opinion, they are above the waterline on a planning boat (when planning) but otherwise hidden. I would be hesitant to disrupt the lines of your pretty new boat with one. The side power external units units look more robust, especially for a bow mount.

Last edited:
My boat has a sideshift stern thruster, 24v and I think 7.5 HP. PO installed it maybe 8 years ago. He's putting a similar unit in my old boat. Fresh water use.

I haven't had any issues with it, and the mounting seems simple and robust. I've heard good things about their customer service. They're a small Canadian firm.

I'm not sure I'd want an external bow thruster, but based on my limited experience I can endorse the stern unit. My only caution is that the exposed mount and props can snag lines like a dinghy painter.

A year ago I toured the Sideshift "factory". At the time we were having problems with our ABT Trac stern thruster. We were impressed with the low cost and ease of installation and repair. Since there are no holes below the waterline, in theory, it could be installed while the boat is in the water, but because everything is under the swim platform installation with the boat on the hard is much easier.

Thanks all. I think we will go with them. For the stern it is about the only thing that will fir. For the bow it will be much easier to install since the A/C is sort of in the way.

Comodave,

Wondering if you went with the external bow thruster on your boat and how it turned out? Thinking about doing the same. Thanks.

Russ

Yes, we put SideShift thrusters on the bow and stern. They have been in use every day since we are on vacation and cruising. So far they are wonderful. No affiliation just a very satisfied customer. The install was pretty simple. They both bolt on above the waterline. It took my wife and I about a day and a half to install the bow thruster. The stern access on my boat is very tight, sliding in room only. I made up the electrical and batteries in a plywood tray and slid it down into the back if the engine room. It took a neighbor and I one day to do the install for the stern thruster. A really nice thing is that you don’t have to run control wires to the helm joysticks, they are wireless. You just need 12 volts to the joysticks. It also came with a wireless remote control.

Thanks, Comodave. Sounds like a good option to consider, even though I’d never trust myself to do the installation.

The install is really pretty easy. Just measure, drill a few holes, bolt and then do the wiring. All the holes are above the waterline. Do you have basic electrical skills? If so you could do it, if not hire that part out and just do the drilling and mounting.

Back
Top Bottom