head mistress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
Ok peggy* I have my holding back in my boat* I installed*two 1 1-2'' vent lines existing on opposit sides of my boat* cleaned the tank best I could, even bought a gal of the*ko* so what must i do to maintain this how much ko do I add? I have a 35 gal holding tank* I also left the 5-/8'' vent line installed

With three vent lines, the tank should certainly be getting plenty of air...IF even one of 'em is short, straight and relatively horizontal.

The instructions on the jug of K.O. tell you to add 4 oz/25 gal talk capacity...so 5-6 oz in a 35 gal. tank should be a good
starter amount. Flush it down the toilet, making sure that it gets all the way to the tank. After each pumpout, nominally rinse out the tank and add another 6 oz. I'd recommend putting forward facing clamshells--nice big high ones--over each of your new 1" vents to act as air "scoops."

I hope you didn't buy the gallon of K.O. and then leave it in the car till you were ready to use it...'cuz the bacteria in K.O. can't survive temps over 110...and even in winter, solar heat can easily run the temperature inside a car cabin or trunk up over 150...in the kind of heat we've had (over 100 for more than week and it's predicted to continue through next weekend), you can almost boil water in a car.
It should be ok anywhere on your boat that isn't exposed to direct sunlight.

"*hope you didn't buy the gallon of K.O. and then leave it in the car till you were ready to use it...'cuz the bacteria in K.O. can't survive temps over 110."

I wonder how they ship it
confuse.gif

That was a major problem when I still owned the product line...and still is in conditions like we're having now. Best to buy off the shelf instead mail order if possible. Or use Odorlos, which isn't temperature sensitive.

so is there anyway to tell if my swimmers overheated and died?*** Great I may have $50 worth of dead bugs
no.gif
*** This is makin my head hurt*

-- Edited by motion30 on Friday 5th of August 2011 12:01:49 PM

motion30 wrote:
so is there anyway to tell if my swimmers overheated and died?***
******* For the record, we are talking about the holding tank. Right?

Odor out the tank vent...'cuz dead bugs can't prevent odor. And yes, we ARE talking about the holding tank.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Friday 5th of August 2011 10:22:01 PM

* A little potty humor
smile.gif

HeadMistress wrote:

Odor out the tank vent...'cuz dead bugs can't prevent odor. And yes, we ARE talking about the holding tank.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Friday 5th of August 2011 10:22:01 PM

Back
Top Bottom