BBQ Mount for GB wood rail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldersalt

Vessel Name
Pacific Star
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Greetings!

So I bought this nice rectangular Kuuma BBQ grill and want to mount it onto the wood railing of my Grand Banks 32. None of the available mounting options from ANY of the manufacturers appear to be able to handle clamping onto a wood railing of about 2 1/2" wide by 1 1/4" thick. I could mount it onto one of the vertical stainless round railing supports, but the best position is unfortunately between to such supports on this boat.

Has anybody found a solution to this awful problem? (I understand this is what is often referred to as a "first world problem, but hey, we do what we gotta do.)

Thanks in advance,
Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

Google "scotty mounts", go to images and look through the images, you might see something you can adapt to your rail.

I am guessing you want a clamp-on style solution vs. drilling holes/screws/through bolts, and that you want the body of the BBQ mostly outboard of the rail. That adds a moment-arm to the mount vs. one with the BBQ centered over the rail.

Make up a couple clamping pads from wood or plastic stock that can through-bolt around the rail without scuffing it up, and put a mount on the top pad. Best I got!

Last edited:
Got the same problem with our Cuisinart table-top cooker. This first year, we've used it while sitting on a table, oddly enough. We've discovered that it's a bad idea to leave it on the table when under way...

First problem is where to mount it: anywhere outboard of the rail across the stern interferes with the dink and davits; either side at the stern, outboard of the rail will interfere with the slip's pilings.

Second problem is that the grease tray is shallow and storing the thing on its side as it's intended is messy. Ditto when it falls off the table...

The third problem is the mounting, particularly if removal and storage is desired. It's actually reasonably easy and adaptable to your application, too. Think of fishing rod holders mounted to the stanchions and/or bolted through the Europa side panels. Cheap, adjustable, low-key and all stainless is available. Then bolt tubing sections to the grille.

Most desirable, functionally, would be a neat and easy way to mount the grille overboard when in use and/or not in danger from pilings, and inboard for storage. The problem is the 'neat and easy' part.

Had the same problem on our GB 32...This is the best we came up with. It's adjustable and tucks away under the canvas when not in fishing or cooking mode. Works well for now but we're still looking for a better option. Let us know what you end up doing.

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

The only problem with the rod holders is that it's annoying to change the angle; you have to unbolt the whole thing off of the stanchion to access the bolt that sets the angle. It's easy to change the height and to rotate it around the stanchion; simply loosen the bolts.

Far cheaper alternatives than paying West Moron! Check eBay:

4 X stainless rail mount clamp on 360* SWIVEL FOR RAIL 7/8" to 1"-NICE | eBay

Stainless Steel Clamp Fishing Rod Holder Rails 1" to 1-1/4"Plastic Liner Durable | eBay

We loosen the Allen screw with the provided T-handle tool. Ready to fish or grill in 15-20 seconds tops. It doesn't need to be fully disassembled as it backs-off just enough to allow you to articulate the angle without coming apart. Again, let me know a better way and I'm on it. I'd prefer to have it rail mounted. We also drilled a hole in our magma rail mount tube and inserted a small bolt to keep it from rotating in rolling seas. I'll take a few pictures when I'm on the boat this weekend.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...eel-rod-holders--P019_570_001_552?recordNum=4

Last edited:
I've installed Scotty mounts on custom teak blocks so they can be secured to a vertical rail. These mounts hold rod holders and the Magma Scotty mount arm. These shown are on my aft rail, but I have one on each side rail, too. (The fire hose protects the handrail during fishing and in the slip.) The grill can be easily pivoted in or out to alleviate concerns for drips on the cockpit deck or interference with pilings.

img_498307_0_326abe7d0a6d4268f02d0b11cf13125c.jpg

Last edited:
GBB, must be a better design than than on the ones I've got two different brands of.

Fishing rod holder. One dedicated just for grill.

Grill has cutting board rod holder mount bolted to bottom. It slips easily into any of the vertically mounted rod holders around the boat.

Solution for Mounting the Grill

TF'ers,

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I finally found the solution by buying the Kuuma "square rail" mount. It's wide enough to fit around the GB wood railing, but not quite high enough. So I cut a couple of roughly 1/4" slots in the bottom of the railing so all 4 mounting bolts could be attached. I have to admit I felt a bit nervous about "defacing" my beautiful Grand Banks teak railing (even if it is the underside), but did it anyhow. I also put a thick rubber gasket around the railing, so the mount won't dig into the rest of the wood railing. Fits securely and looks good!
Thanks again
Oldersalt

The rubber will prevent damage to the wood, but not the varnish. Ultimately the clamping will result in damage to the varnish and you'll need to redo the varnish on the rail, but that's gonna need to happen anyway eventually. Sounds like you found the perfect solution. I'd sure like to see a pic of the final result.

Images of Grill Rail Mount Modification

TFer's

Here are some images of how I mounted my new BBQ grill on the big wooden Grand Banks stern rail.

1. In order to allow the Kuuma "square rail" mount to fit, I had to cut grooves (gasp!) in the underside of the Grand Banks stern rail. Oh well, whenever I sell the boat I may keep the grill but leave the mount in place.

2. The new grill in place on the mount so it hangs over the stern. I will probably trim the rubber gasket a bit to improve the looks.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Oldersalt

2nd try--Images of Grill Rail Mount Modification

TFer's

Here are some images of how I mounted my new BBQ grill on the big wooden Grand Banks stern rail.

1. In order to allow the Kuuma "square rail" mount to fit, I had to cut grooves (gasp!) in the underside of the Grand Banks stern rail. Oh well, whenever I sell the boat I may keep the grill but leave the mount in place.

2. The new grill in place on the mount so it hangs over the stern. I will probably trim the rubber gasket a bit to improve the looks.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Oldersalt

Attachments

• cuts.jpg
    cuts.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 106
  • grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 192
Back
Top Bottom