Accumulator Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
On my boat turning on water is like turning on the pump. This cannot be good for the pump. So I need an accumulator tank. This seems as easy as mount the tank, hose in, hose out, done. Anything I am missing on this? No electrical that I can see and can't come up with a reason for it anyway......

Last edited:
Google these for some good information: Groco 091020 and 080829.

These are installation instructions and guidelines for installing Groco water pressure systems.

An accumulator tank will do what you want. But a variable speed pump will do the same thing and will give more even flow. So new pump or new accumulator. An accumulator is cheaper.

David

Thanks. What would the average ordinary suggested capacity be for a 42' trawler?

The larger the better within reason. Depends on what size will fit on your boat. Groco I think has a large stainless steel one that I had in a previous boat, it was very nice in that you could wash your hands and the pump wouldn't even turn on. It took quite a bit of water running before it would cause the pump to cycle. I had a bad experience with one of the variable speed pumps when they first came out, maybe they are better now.

The first thing that you must determine is what type of pump you presently have and what type of controls you have in place. If there is not presently an accumulator tank then perhaps you have an on demand variable speed pump. If that is the case then yes, when you turn on the water the pump will come on. If you have a pressure regulated rather than flow controlled then you may already have a tank that may be "water logged". A system with a tank usually will have an electric pressure switch that controls the cut in and cut off pressures.

I added a 7 gallon accumulator designed for home use to our constant pressure pump system that was installed as easily as you've described and have been pleased with the results. If you have to winterize your fresh water system, the accumulator adds some complexity, especially in the valving so that you can isolate/flush/etc. the various components as needed. The comparable 'marine' components were 2-3x the cost without corresponding benefit. I also shopped RV options, but I couldn't find the size that I wanted as they were typically smaller.

Go to an irrigation shop. About 1/5 the price of a Groco, exactly the same thing.

Get an ST-5 from one of the box stores or your friendly plumbing supply house. Locate it near the cold supply pressure line, e.g. DOWNstream of the pump. Anywhere on the cold line, it does not need to be close to the pump, can be at the other end of the boat! Pick a location unexposed to seawater, the tank is steel, but has a bladder. Fasten it securely with some aluminum or stainless bands, it can be suspended or mounted in any manner wherein it will be well-supported, but not by the pipe fitting. Shut off the water, cut a tee into the cold line, pipe the branch of the tee to the tank. Set the air pressure in the tank about 2-3 psi below the cut-in pressure of the pump. Re-charge the water line. Leak check. Done.

Size isn't critical, the ST-5 is proven, it's pressure rated higher than your marine system requires, but that's a non-issue. It's cheaper than a marine "accumulator" and performs the same function.

I have a variable speed pump which does not require an accumulator, but I still use the ST-5 to help with hot water expansion, and just to keep the pump from cycling as much. Works great.

An aside that if you want the tank function as a thermal expansion absorption device as well... - if your water heater has a check on the inlet, disassemble the check valve and make a small notch in the valve seat. Just enough to keep it from sealing 100% This small bleed will allow enough backflow to prevent thermal expansion overpressure, while still allowing the check valve to perform its intended hot water backflow function. So your tank can perform dual functions.

I installed a 4 gallon tank from Home Depot. $35. Works fine.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I have a Jabsco variable pump and no accumulator tank. Quick look shows a Groco "marine" 4.4 gal for $434. Or a Home Depot 14 gal non-marine, basic garden variety for $138. Pretty much a poster child for boat oriented purchases. I'm looking at the specs and can't find much difference. The marine one does have a "Specialized rubber bladder that separates the water from the air charge" whereas Home Depot doesn't seem to think that this is a big deal selling point for an accumulator/pressure tank. Sarcastic humor.

I went to harbor freight and picked up a shallow well pump with attached accumulator for about $150. Even if you don't need the pump for something it was a whole lot cheeper then other sources.

"The marine one does have a "Specialized rubber bladder that separates the water from the air charge" whereas Home Depot doesn't seem to think that this is a big deal selling point for an accumulator/pressure tank."

For best service a bladder is needed.Most house units have a bladder.

Air in the accumulator is slowly absorbed by the water in the unit.

The tiny black "marine" units are a PIA as they frequently have to be drained to add air to the unit.

Any accumulator with a Schrader valve (car tire valve) to pressurize it should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I have a Jabsco variable pump and no accumulator tank. Quick look shows a Groco "marine" 4.4 gal for $434. Or a Home Depot 14 gal non-marine, basic garden variety for $138. Pretty much a poster child for boat oriented purchases. I'm looking at the specs and can't find much difference. The marine one does have a "Specialized rubber bladder that separates the water from the air charge" whereas Home Depot doesn't seem to think that this is a big deal selling point for an accumulator/pressure tank. Sarcastic humor.

Your Jabsco variable speed pump is designed to work without an accumulator tank. It varies the speed of the motor to match the water demand.

They are designed to run continuously as long as there is a demand for water.
When I was selling these pumps, my customers who installed them without removing the accumulator tank had a lot of problems.

The home depot pressure tank of 14 gals. uses a diaphragm rather than the bladder. Both serve the same purpose in preventing the water and air from mixing and thereby removing the air charge. As mentioned, a tank may confuse the "on demand" type pump that you are using.

"The marine one does have a "Specialized rubber bladder that separates the water from the air charge" whereas Home Depot doesn't seem to think that this is a big deal selling point for an accumulator/pressure tank."

For best service a bladder is needed.Most house units have a bladder.

Air in the accumulator is slowly absorbed by the water in the unit.

The tiny black "marine" units are a PIA as they frequently have to be drained to add air to the unit.

Any accumulator with a Schrader valve (car tire valve) to pressurize it should be fine.

Thanks, was just joking about the "marine" marketing playing up a feature that is sort of standard on all of them. I swear if they sold "marine" houses they would play up how it comes with a roof and a front door so you can get in.

The home depot pressure tank of 14 gals. uses a diaphragm rather than the bladder. Both serve the same purpose in preventing the water and air from mixing and thereby removing the air charge. As mentioned, a tank may confuse the "on demand" type pump that you are using.

I need to go to the boat today and get the exact pump model. I don't really know what I am talking about. Hey, there is news to everyone.

33 oz, Flojet Pressurized Accumulator Tank $ 66.39 by United States Plastic Corp.

Back
Top Bottom