1" or 1.5" hose for Raritan ME head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
Just installing it now, it takes either. The non-clogging part of me wants to use the big hose, however the installation and maintenance part of me want's to use 1". It will make removing the head (or moving it at least) for any maintenance somewhat easier. If it makes a difference, the hose run is only about 4' to the holding tank.

I have had MEs in 2 boats now. I used 1” for the discharge. It holds less stuff in the 1” hose so it takes less water to flush the stuff through the hose. Since the stuff has just come out of the macerator there are no solids just a slurry of poop. I don’t see clogging as much if any issue. Definitely use SaniFlex hose. Defender sells it by the foot. I bought the adapter for rear discharge instead of floor discharge. It was about 3” of hose and a 90 degree plastic fitting and 2 hose clamps for like $45 from Raritan. I thought maybe it was something special, but no just a rip for the amount charged. Otherwise I love the ME heads.

I hope Peggie chimes in on this.

My thought is that it would take a smaller volume of water to clear the 1” hose. As Comodave said the “stuff” is pretty well liquified.

I think they give you the option of using an 1-1/2” hose if you are replacing a toilet that already had the larger hose.

Ya'all are talking me into it. The outlet barb has a 1" concentric with the 1.5 anyway, so everything has to already pass through a 1". I like the idea of less volume in the hose.

Ya'all are talking me into it. The outlet barb has a 1" concentric with the 1.5 anyway, so everything has to already pass through a 1". I like the idea of less volume in the hose.

Well, that is my theory and I am sticking to it. I figure that since it had to go through 1” going out a 1” hose should work ok. And it does take less flush water.

I'd also go with the 1". I only used 1.5" on my forward Sea Era because the bulkhead hole, tank fittings, etc. were already set up for it. And that hose slopes enough to self drain (and is about 6 feet long), so I don't worry much about clearing it out.

Back
Top Bottom