Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #121

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms, GG. Far be it from me to suggest you just go out and buy something. You're doing good thus far. Research, research, research. Keep VERY MUCH in mind, even with you doing your homework and getting the BEST vessel you THINK will fulfill your needs, wants and desires, at this time, you're going to be disappointed with some things on "the" boat. I'm sure you have come to the conclusion that pretty well everything on a boat is a compromise and that your initial "list" has and will change over time. Keep askin'. Hey, you never answered my question regarding the Swedish boats and what renovations you felt were necessary. Accommodations? Fit and finish?
The boat was a bit crude for my liking. It would be fine if I wasn't going to also use it as a liveaboard. I would definitely have to clean it up.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Google this: converted trawlers for sale
There are a considerable number of hits

trawlers expedition yachts conversion for sale | Expeditionyacht.org
Mega Yachts here, but consider locations he mentions for conversion work. Maybe he would do a small job
Fishing Boats - Used Commercial Vessels
78 to 87+ fishing trawlers for sale.

One example of a boat that could be converted.
Desco 75 Trawler- Fishing Boat Market
I think I get my fill of renovation with homes. Plus, I'm not patient enough to wait on a lenghtly refit. Plus, I'd rather purchase the boat that some other guy dumped a bunch of money into
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
one element I don't know if has been explored, GG and MeMe, have you selected your captain? This is a very important piece to your puzzle and not to be taken lightly. You are going to be spending a lot of 24/7 time with this person....

We knew someone who bought a brand new high end 55 foot "trawler" type boat and hired a captain to help him fit it out and deliver it several hundred ocean miles. The captain was then to train the owner on handling the boat as it was a huge step up form the owner's prior experience. They did NOT get along and it got quite ugly. The captain packed up and left the owner in a rather bad situation. The boat is (and has been for about two years) for sale. Not to say he could not have found another captain, but he was so disgusted with the situation he chose not to and instead gave up on boating and moved on to other interests.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is a captain and he has helped one of his clients buy, fit out and deliver two large "Offshore" (I believe is the brand) boats. They are now working together on a third. My friend is on call to come to whichever boat the owner wants to use (they are in different places the owner likes to cruise) and run the boat for the owner while he is on board. They have a great relationship and have been working together for many years. Not sure if the removal of the "training" element helps the relationship but perhaps??? Trying to teach someone something adds an element of potential frustration on both sides.

On another note, our slip neighbors have been living on a big hatteras with "grandpa" and their young adult son. They are in the master stateroom, gramps is in the v berth and the son bunks in saloon on the fold out couch. I am not sure where he keeps his stuff but the boat is always put together and presentable. Don't limit your self to thinking the number of cabins or even number of "bunks" must equal the number of people. There is a lot of flexibility in sleeping spaces on most boats.
Thanks for the tip. We actually have a friend of the family who is a captain. We don't have to worry to much about the travel aspect at this stage in the game, because when the boat arrives, we will settle in and get comfortable with her for a couple months before taking any trips. So, we will have plenty of time for planning during that time.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #124
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post

. Plus, I'd rather purchase the boat that some other guy dumped a bunch of money into
I can relate to that completely. We did exactly that on a much smaller scale than you propose. I scoured listings and looked at boats for over 1 year before stumbling upon our boat by accident.

You can find what you seek but finding it intentionally by seeking broker sites is near impossible IMO. They usually sell quickly.

Ours was a private party sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #125
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
GG and Meme

Having followed this thread rather closely... I believe you have been informed once, twice, or more about most of the important items regarding the basic needs of the "type" boat and "style" boating you seek to own and accomplish. Redundancy of posters' input is actually becoming redundant (if that's possible?? ).

Now that you have been freely provided much info, there seems but one thing left for you to do... Go Forth and Prosper! Spend some bucks and lease boats similar to what you want with a captain at the helm. Then, after you get some firsthand boating experience under your belt, you will have better knowledge to actually find YOUR boat!

Best luck girls! - Art
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I can relate to that completely. We did exactly that on a much smaller scale than you propose. I scoured listings and looked at boats for over 1 year before stumbling upon our boat by accident.

You can find what you seek but finding it intentionally by seeking broker sites is near impossible IMO. They usually sell quickly.

Ours was a private party sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Funny you should say that as the last 3 boats that I really thought were the "one" went sale pending before I was even able to finish my research.

I figure I am either on the right track or having dumb luck or maybe a little of both.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #127
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
OK, I'm but maybe this is one of those more research is needed things:

Wooden Boat Renovation: New Life for Old Boats Using Modern Methods by Jim Trefethen
The author claims you can buy a wooden boat, renovate and remodel it for much less money than buying a comparable boat in steel or fiberglass if the wooden boat is repairable. Determining if it is repairable is also covered in the book.

Boat Interior Construction by Michael Naujok
OK so this is about what to do after gutting a boat which you do not want to do, but it could be useful if you want to do some modification to a boat so it has four cabins with enough bunks for the whole family.

Details of Classic Boat Construction by Larry Pardey
Lin and Larry Pardey have sailed twice around the world in two wooden boats that they have built and have written many books about their exploits that I just love to read about. This book on wood boat construction is 500 plus pages of detail on fabrication and also includes repairing and maintaining a wooden boat.

Initial Boat Survey checklist
The Initial Survey, is the boat worth repairing. Practical advice.

Marine Surveying : Surveying Wood Hulls - Old Boats and Yachts
Very detailed on wood rot detection, also some info on metal corrosion

http://www.baymarinesurvey.com/Cruis..._Surveyors.pdf
Some surveyors do a very bad job

http://alsafeenah.com/Uploads/Catego...8c0d36df97.pdf
A detailed survey check list for any boat.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #128
Art
Guru

Girls – Visit the ad. Maybe you like??

Suryey, Survey, Survey - Best Luck!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/3650844950.html

73' Pilothouse Yacht - $180,000
Call 714-943-1600
1974 Vic Franck Custom Pilothouse
Coldmoulded construction
4 staterooms
3 heads
Twin Detroit 8V71tti - 3200 hours
Rebuilt V-drives
Naiad Stabilizers
Bow Thruster
Microcommander Controls
20Kw Generator - 1200 hours
Teak Decks

$180k
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #129
Veteran Member

City: On dry land in NE
Hi Art, I think we looked at this one, she is pretty. Do ya think in this price range, ya get what you pay for. I mean, for this price this would need a bit of work even if maintained. Or is my thinking way off here?
We know we'll be buying someone else's problems, but just how deep will
they be at this price?
I guess hard to tell.
You wouldn't happen to know how long it's been posted for?
Thing we seen it on yachtworld, or another same make.
Thanks!
Meme
“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up"
-Terence McKenna
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #130
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatsea View Post
Hi Art, I think we looked at this one, she is pretty. Do ya think in this price range, ya get what you pay for. I mean, for this price this would need a bit of work even if maintained. Or is my thinking way off here?
We know we'll be buying someone else's problems, but just how deep will
they be at this price?
I guess hard to tell.
You wouldn't happen to know how long it's been posted for?
Thing we seen it on yachtworld, or another same make.
Thanks!
Meme
Hey Meme - Hire a surveyor for a prelim look and a base-report back to you two. Never know till ya try! She might be a real sleeper. At that price you could afford to spruce her way-up to meet your desires!

Heck... maybe seller has a survey handy for the get-go?? Only talkes a phone call!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Westwinds, thanks for the recommend, I'm an avid reader so I'm gonna order this one. There was another one they were recommending over on CF, about circumnavigation, I think they said part 4???
Are you familiar??
Thanks
Meme

Wooden Boat Renovation: New Life for Old Boats Using Modern Methods by Jim Trefethen
The author claims you can buy a wooden boat, renovate and remodel it for much less money than buying a comparable boat in steel or fiberglass if the wooden boat is repairable. Determining if it is repairable is also covered in the book.
“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up"
-Terence McKenna
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #132
Guru

City: Perth
Build one :-D easy peasy
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #133

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
I'd like to second the suggestion to do some charters. I've done some charters and my wish list changed after every one. I've used and been happy with Anacortes Yacht Charter Pacific Northwest Yacht Charters - Best Power and Sailboat Chartering in the San Juan Islands and Pacific Northwest - Anacortes Yacht Charters My $0.02.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #134
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Build one :-D easy peasy
OMG - It's Matt!! Abandon ship - He's gonna tear it down and rebuild it! - LOL

Hi Matt, how's it goen?? good I hope!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

OMG - It's Matt!! Abandon ship - He's gonna tear it down and rebuild it! - LOL

Hi Matt, how's it goen?? good I hope!
Hey mate! Hahaha yeah step aside and let me in there haha Yeah I'm all good thanks. Still building the woodie. How are you old mate? You and your family well?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #136
Veteran Member

@Art, thanks, I think I was looking at another Vic Franck on YW.

@Hendo, Is it at easy as building a house???

@Portager, love that area, had a friend who ran ferries to the San Juan Islands for years. We'll prob just do Maine or the east coast though.

Thanks,
Meme
-Terence McKenna
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #137
Guru

Quote:
@Art, thanks, I think I was looking at another Vic Franck on YW.

@Hendo, Is it at easy as building a house???

@Portager, love that area, had a friend who ran ferries to the San Juan Islands for years. We'll prob just do Maine or the east coast though.

Thanks,
Meme
Well I'm a residential house builder (carpenter by trade) not a boat builder ;-)

Have a look at my thread on the boat build so far. No boat building skills there lol. Just a weird shaped house
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #138
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Check out "Wayne Shibley wooden boats". He's in Chicago. Check out the wood diesel duck he built. Lots of construction detail.Larry
Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #139

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:

Thanks,
Meme
Sounds like a coastal bias to me!

The important thing is to find representative boats like you think you intend to buy and take an extended test drive somewhere representative. I choose the San Juan's to start because my wife at the time was nervous about rough sea's. The San Juan's were a great place to get her hooked.

Also, don't overlook aluminum boats. Aluminum costs a little more to build, but is the easiest to maintain and typically has higher resale value, so if you happen to find a good deal on an aluminum ...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #140
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
Sounds like a coastal bias to me!

Also, don't overlook aluminum boats. Aluminum costs a little more to build, but is the easiest to maintain and typically has higher resale value, so if you happen to find a good deal on an aluminum ...
The Europeans sure like aluminum. An isolation transformer is a must for these because of electrolysis which can eat up the boat.
Closed Thread