Winterization on Lake Champlain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansrr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Wing
Vessel Make
Camano 31
Exploring the possibility of relocating my Camano 31 from the Chesapeake Bay to Lake Champlain sometime in the future. Currently I do full winterization in water with a Flybridge cover and electricity to 5 AGM batteries. Marina also has bubblers for occasional ice. What is the normal procedure in Lake Champlain including batteries?

You don't need to put AGM's on a battery tender. Just shut off the battery switches and make sure there is no draw at all. They loose almost nothing when isolated (a few amps per month). I shut mine down and come back 6 months later, turn on the battery switches and turn on lights and start playing the stereo with no issues.

Typically boats in the North are hauled on land and covered or shrinkwrapped. Seastrainers, AC, Engines, generator, water tanks, water lines, faucets, pumps, head, holding tanks are flushed with propylene glycol.

Up north, I winterize everything with antifreeze. I turn off breakers for almost everything, but cabin lights and stereo stay on. I don't turn off the battery switches, as I plug the boat in any time I'm there doing work over the winter (tops off the batteries, lets me use lights, stereo, etc.). Can't leave it plugged in on land at my marina, but even after a few weeks with the stereo memory as the only draw there's no noticeable discharge with AGMs.

I agree completely w above.
I'm in NY w similar winters. Stored on the hard with shrink wrap, full winterization of systems.
I make sure 4 AGM batty aboard are fully charged and disconnect them. I check them in spring prior to hook-up and have been consistently getting 12.6V after 6 mos storage.
The only difference between in / out of water winter storage in my mind is the need to open seacocks after hauling to drain any water left in the ball cavity.
I use and like a maintainer on my motorhome battys when in storage but I don't have that option w boat where I store it.

Last edited:
Used to store at Shelburne Shipyard. Haul, drain hot water heater & tanks, pink antifreeze (don’t forget windshield washers) change oil & filters. Disconnect batteries. Many Northern yards do not permit stored boats to be plugged in except during day if working on your boat. With AGMs just connect batteries in the Spring & plug in change the impeller, start engines, change Racors enjoy short summer season, repeat.

Same experience in New England. And on Champlain I'd be surprised if any docks are left in anyway. It definitely freezes.

Back
Top Bottom