Winter storage without oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New engine are shipped without oil and they may sit in a warehouse for a long time before actually being installed and started.
Same is true for all engine powered tools.

Are they assembled with special lube to guard against corrosion? My reading says yes...at least some. Similar stuff is used by some engine rebuilders too.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29204/oil-base-number

New engine oils usually have a range of 5 to 15 BN. As oil is used in service, it becomes contaminated with acids, causing the base number to drop over time. By using oil analysis for your engine oil, you will be able to track the BN of your oil and determine how much life is remaining. Once the base number drops below 3, this is considered too low and should trigger an oil change for your engine.

Last edited:
I would NEVER leave the engine dry. My memory is so poor that I wouldnt leave the engine dry overnight unless I disconnected the starter. If I ever did, I would probably comeback the next day so excited that I was going fishing and forget it was dry and ruin the engine. No reason to take the risk. Here we dont winterize, we sumerize........LOL Sumerizing is easier to recover from. My boat is only idle from July thru August.

Condensation in spring

Hi. I always change oil in fall when I pull my boat.

Not sure if this is a legitimate concern, but here in the northeast, when it warms up in spring, I get condensation on cold metal surfaces. I’ve seen it on warm humid spring days in my valve cover when I am adjusting the valves and have valve cover off.

Would having fresh oil in engine be helpful in this case. I know it’s “splitting hairs” but just a thought.

You guys are way overthinking this. There is no difference in leaving the oil in for 6 months of no running or leaving it empty for 6 months. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN unless Lou forgets and just starts it. NOTHING! Aaaarggghhhh!

You guys are way overthinking this. There is no difference in leaving the oil in for 6 months of no running or leaving it empty for 6 months. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN unless Lou forgets and just starts it. NOTHING! Aaaarggghhhh!

What?? It will not disintegrate? Jeez I was worrying for nothing (as usually)!
Joke apart I was misleading myself and indeed changing oil hoses does not require me to empty oil, just thinking too much...
Damned wine! :)

L

Absolutely correct. The rest of the engine doesn't know if there is oil sitting in the pan or not. Simply take steps to prevent a spring start up without remembering to add the oil.

Ken

"NOTHING WILL HAPPEN unless Lou forgets and just starts it. NOTHING! Aaaarggghhhh! "

So I guess fogging fluid is a big con?

Since cylinders do rust , I have often thought that modifying a cold start device from spraying Ether to spray fogging fluid , each time on shut down would be great insurance..

Many boaters do not know if the boat will be used in a week, or a couple of months .

Many engine builders suggest preservation of an engine out of service for 30 days.

This would be great push button insurance for a few bucks a can of fogging oil.

I agree FF...but the cylinders dont know whether the oil is in the pan or a bottle next to it.

If I was going to take the oil out and leave it out and not run or build the oil pressure on some regular basis depending on the total period, I would "fog" per manufacturer guidelines like FF suggests.

There is absolutely no valid reason not to put clean oil back in.

Bill R.

Condensation

Condensation within the engine would seem a risk to uncovered (by oil) components. I remember once being advised to overfill the crankcase for winter and drain some before spring start up. In either event new oil is my preference for winter

One time I tried to winterize my Diesel engine by spraying fogging oil in the air intake.

I kept spraying but it never stalled out. I went through 6 cans worth 60$ before I gave up.

"I remember once being advised to overfill the crankcase for winter and drain some before spring start up."

When gas was cheap the lobster guys ran common gas engine blocks.

They would try to make , a deal with a local junk yard and when a good runner would come in they would grab it as a spare.

The technique was to fill it with diesel as much as they could get in.

Could sit for a year or more , and when drained could be used.

I collect cars, trucks, airplanes,and boats. I have started gasoline engines that have set 30 years in a field under a closed hood and only had to clean the carburetor and they purred like a kitten. I once cut a tree out of the engine bay of an airplane,started the engine and took off. (I will admit when I was in my 20s I was a damned fool idiot.....) Diesels in a mild climate in the interior of a closed boat will restart after at least 5 years and run like it was yesterday they last ran.

BUT were they damaged internally by the neglect? Maybe, but I never saw evidence of it, even in the airplane engine with the tree in the cowl. But I dont recommend neglecting the engine, but changing oil before storage of a few months isnt required in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom