Who has/uses AIS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't mean AIS isn't a good thing, just maybe hasn't floated up high enough in our minds yet for the type of boating we do. If I was gonna do Western Rivers or New England fog..... it would start climbing to the top quickly.

That's what motivated me. I anchor a lot on commercial rivers and waterways. It's very weird. You're all alone in the world, and then a tow comes by.

I wanted them to know I was there well in advance so they could pass me safely. That's worth a grand to me.

Based on the "experience brag" found on here...hard to believe some of the biggest proponents of AIS can't "perfectly tune a radar in all conditions and intuitively calculate closest point of approach at a glance from changing bearings. "
That is the problem with irony.

But I can sorta tune a radar. My intuition isn't what it once was, but I can usually avoid a self- own.

AIS? Yes, of course!

I remember when people debated getting GPS and cell phones... this is similar.

There is no such thing as too much information when it comes to safety. Situational awareness is everything.

Be sure to get one with NMEA output so you can see objects on your chart plotters.

Personally, I went for one of the newer Class B+ versions with higher transmitter power (Vesper Cortex) and integrated VHF. I like it a lot.

Late to the party, but, to me, AIS is indispensable in my cruising waters here in the Salish Sea. I have both Rx/Tx and on several occasions have had useful communications with the "big boys", ferries, and Seattle & Victoria Traffic. It's also useful for seeing the traffic lanes around corners, such as a few of those in the San Juan Islands. I agree with the comment that it's one of the best safety features to come out in recent years. It's normally off at the dock and comes on automatically when the Nav gear is turned-on. My $.02.

Thank you very much again everyone!

This discussion has been extremely educational and helpful for me!!

:Thanx:

Don't discount expense. Recieve can be enabled through a $200 VHF. Tx is probably a grand.

So I would highly recommend receive for all. Tx depends on use case and budget, and I'm certainly not going to show them the way.

I can know what I'm missing and do without. Many folks here are balancing need against want.

But look at all the money we spend on other electrical annd instrumentation wants. AIS costs don’t even rate in comparison.

But look at all the money we spend on other electrical annd instrumentation wants. AIS costs don’t even rate in comparison.
Not me. Well, on the electronics side. I'm using a 9" MFD and basic kit elsewhere. My tranceiver is the crown jewel of the collection.

Last edited:
We've had AIS transceivers for about ten years and 22,000 miles on Fintry and Morning Light. While I certainly understand those who have receive only -- I tend to use it to stay out of the way of the big guys and you don't need transmit for that -- I like it that the big guys can see me. It's particularly useful in foggy New England and the Maritimes. Don't leave home without it.

Jim

Definitely set up for Receive. With Receive you can see all the commercial vessels and the recreational vessels that transmit

However, think twice about setting up Transmit for a 38' vessel!

It has been reported that some marine police and the Coast Guard are saving all AIS data and then issuing tickets for speeding through whale zones and even no wake zones.

For me, I'd rather see the vessels I want to avoid rather than assume they are keep watch and see me.

Big fan of AIS

First about surveillance: anyone who thinks “they” are just sitting around surveilling you have an inflated sense of importance. The surveillance agencies have more important things to do and there’s no need to worry u less you are trying to evade some law or regulation.

I have AIs transceivers, I.e.both send and receive.

I have had more than one experience piloting through small island groups where my AIS showed me a potential interception route with a vessel not visible to the eye or radar, behind an island. That’s worth it.

I have had one experience where Canadian CG was able to track and guide me from my AIS signal toward help and safe harbor after having encountered a poorly marked rock.

Quit worrying about somebody peeping at you and add this powerful tool to your navigation kit.

Quit worrying about somebody peeping at you and add this powerful tool to your navigation kit.

Agreed the Receive is a powerful tool. Unfortunately, many vessels don't maintain a proper watch. I'd never trust that a vessel I see on AIS is also going to see me on AIS and follow the correct Rules of the Road-- I've seen too many cases where, even as the stand-on vessel, I had to take evasive action. I'll stick with Receive-only AIS.

Ditto

AIS is probably the best and biggest advancement in navigation tools in the 21st century. I would definitely add it, and only consider a transceiver. Receive-only is just freeloading off those of us who transmit.

Agreed.

Well put

First about surveillance: anyone who thinks “they” are just sitting around surveilling you have an inflated sense of importance. The surveillance agencies have more important things to do and there’s no need to worry u less you are trying to evade some law or regulation.

I have had more than one experience piloting through small island groups where my AIS showed me a potential interception route with a vessel not visible to the eye or radar, behind an island. That’s worth it.

I have had one experience where Canadian CG was able to track and guide me from my AIS signal toward help and safe harbor after having encountered a poorly marked rock.

Agreed

AIS? Oh YES!!

In getting electronics for our upcoming boat, I'm debating AIS. Not to get into any political discussion about surveillance etc., but I'm curious who has and uses AIS here? If getting electronics now, would you get it?

Thanks!

I upgraded all my electronics about 18 months ago and added AIS. I have found it to be very helpful, and it does something radar won't do: see around points and radar obstructions. This coupled with the "Rescue 21" system are 2 of the most important boating safety improvements since GPS. ⛵⛵️?

Agreed. And being that most of us carry cell phones, etc. we're already trackable if someone is sufficiently motivated.

Agree completely. Transmitting is just as if not more important than receiving. I want the big commercial ships to see me and be able to call me by name on the VHF. Let them tell me what to do do to stay out of their way.

Carl has it right. Big tankers, car boats, US Navy, etc., will call you and ask about your "intentions" if there is a question and help to clear. :thumb:

AIS is probably the best and biggest advancement in navigation tools in the 21st century. I would definitely add it, and only consider a transceiver. Receive-only is just freeloading off those of us who transmit.

Yes!

Definitely set up for Receive. With Receive you can see all the commercial vessels and the recreational vessels that transmit

However, think twice about setting up Transmit for a 38' vessel!

It has been reported that some marine police and the Coast Guard are saving all AIS data and then issuing tickets for speeding through whale zones and even no wake zones.

For me, I'd rather see the vessels I want to avoid rather than assume they are keep watch and see me.

Or maybe just don’t speed through whale zones or no wake areas…

Transmitting saved me from collision

Chartplotters these days can overlay AIS and radar on top of your GPS position on a chart. Vector charts also allow you to zoom into a tight area while traveling. You may be prudently paying attention to hazards in doing so. In my case, I was in the process of doing all that, but in dense fog. Then my radio called out: “Main Attraction, this is …. So, what do you want to do here?”

I zoomed out on the chartplotter to see a giant radar target, AIS icon, and another large target behind it a quarter mile. It was a tug in tow. If that tug captain didnt’t try me on the radio, I would’ve reacted when it was way too late. Luckily for me, I was broadcasting AIS. The actions of that tug captain were made possible by my broadcasting AIS and his eye toward safe seamanship.

Main Attraction

We have AIS on our boat and also had it on our previous boat. We really like it. We both broadcast and receive. When we need to hail a ship due to passing situations, it helps a LOT if you can call them by name! Otherwise many do not respond.

I installed an Emtrak A100 Class A receiver/transmitter several years ago and it has been faultless. Class A is the way to go in terms of multiple transmissions every minute to more accurately position your vessel and the A100 has many functions like messaging, voyage data input etc..
West Marine currently are selling it for just over $500.

I want both

We have receive only which was veery annoying when the boys are on a 5-day trip out of cellphone coverage, and I can't see their position. So we are planning an upgrade to receive and transmit.

When I outfitted my 42' Uniflite, I got receive only AIS mostly because I didn't understand AIS well and was trying to save a buck. I wish I'd gotten both send/receive because I want anyone out there to see me as well as I can see them. Great advance in technology.

Tak

To the OP; Yes absolutely one more thumbs up for AIS and definitely the transmit version. Beyond the reasons mentioned, I also often check the speed of commercial vessels and occasionally their destination if it’s listed on their transmission. The speed sometimes gives a sanity check whether you’ll cross paths before or perhaps adjust yourself and pass behind them.
BTW, I have to give credit to TF and say I’m impressed this thread overall is incredibly civil, considering it’s one of those topics (like “what’s the best anchor?) that can often get people pretty excited, Ha! ;)

Its worth every penny and a fantastic system. The Furono FA50 system had a satellite date roll over about a year ago. We could receive and see other AIS targets, but I didn’t realize we were not transmitting for many months. It’s covered on the tech support website. Anyway, I just did the software update last week and we are back on the proverbial map.

AIS is doing for cruising what TCAS has done for aviation. Especially for mixed traffic; big/small, fast/slow. I expect it to be a requirement someday.

Recent passage from Galveston Tx to Tampa Fla-- thru the oil patch (hundreds of rigs and riog boats offshore as well as tons of fishing boats-- was extremely valuable - ran it on 1/2 the chart plotter screen with Radar on the other half. Very valuable to have both at night or in fog-- Two valuable tools to have Radar for the things that dont have AIS (small boats, oil rigs buoys weather etc) and AIS to help us pick our way thru the traffic coming into Part Fourchon and Tampa. Number one tool is still the Mk1 Mod1 eyeball as we did find the remains of an old rig unlit and no AIS at about 2am using that old tool- it ghosted by about 1/2 a mile to port. However overall the combo of radar and AIS improved situational awareness greatly. it was super easy to get CPA and time to CPA on multiple targets quickly. Wouldnt be without it.

Back
Top Bottom