Where is Pairadice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing posts and photos. Thanks for keeping us up with what you're doing and where you are.

When you exit the canal and get to Cancun are you going to follow the shoreline or head across?

Amazing posts and photos. Thanks for keeping us up with what you're doing and where you are.

When you exit the canal and get to Cancun are you going to follow the shoreline or head across?

Were gonna cheat a bit. We’ve decided to hire a captain and crew to take Pairadice from Shelter Bay (east side of the canal) to Ft. Lauderdale. Were looking forward to a break from the boat and let them bash her across the gulf for us. Lots of reasons for doing this, but big reason is to save on insurance for the next year or 2. We do plan on cruising the Bahamas and a bit farther south this next winter, after the hurricane season of course.
We had a lot of suggestions on places to store Pairadice during the summer and hurricane season. Even an offer from a fellow TFer at his dock in a rather unique marina. We hope to make a decision soon. Do we store on the hard or keep her in the water.........
Right now we are focused on paperwork to exit Costa Rica and enter Panama, man these places love there paperwork.
Thanks for following us Mike and Tina! Cheers

Right now we are focused on paperwork to exit Costa Rica and enter Panama, man these places love there paperwork.

I remember how they would ink/stamp each of the many copies with unrestrained gusto! :) (If they still do that.)

Hi Ken,

I will try, just doesn’t seem to be much interest by the majority of TF’ers.

Cheers, John

Don't confuse silence with indifference :socool: Thanks for the pix from Bahia Pez Vela. We spent a couple weeks in Costa Rica and have very fond memories of that village.

tu amigo, Memo

I remember how they would ink/stamp each of the many copies with unrestrained gusto! :) (If they still do that.)

Oh they still do that for sure! What has changed, is now they want digital copies in advance. When we arrive they have folders in hand with printed copies of every document you send and then some. And we still have to fill out more forms, and more copies are made.
They sure like to kill tree’s down here, LOL!

Don't confuse silence with indifference :socool: Thanks for the pix from Bahia Pez Vela. We spent a couple weeks in Costa Rica and have very fond memories of that village.

tu amigo, Memo

Yepper and thank you for following us. We sure felt out of place in Pez Vela. Surrounded by big, go fast yacht fishers. Trawlers are definitely not seen around these parts, as we had lots of looky loo’s stopping by and asking questions.

Made it to Panama

John and Tracey finally crossed over to Panama. Yee Haw!!

Now they have to make their way to Panama City and the canal!!!

Made it into Boca Chica, Panama this morning. We were gonna try and enter the bay on the west side, but after we got within 3 miles and saw all the breakers. Its a friggin bar crossing and looked rather nasty. So we turned around and headed to Isla Parida and found a beautiful anchorage for the night. Then this morning we cruised into Boca Chica to start the check in procedure. This one will take 4-5 days before the cruising permit is ready. Lots of Officialdom here like every other country we have checked in/out of.
But, were only a couple hundred miles from the Canal, just gotta find a nice weather window to get around Punta Mala, a rather nasty spot to transit if the weather isn’t nice.
Cheers all, pics soon as we get a decent wifi!

FINALLY! A weather window has arrived. After 10 days here in Boca Chica we start our island hoping down to make the Punta Mala crossing on Friday. The howler monkeys have been going crazy every night here. They sure do make a lot of racket for such small guys. The heat is crawling up, we saw 92 today, the admiral is getting a bit testy.
Should arrive at the canal opening late Friday if all goes well, and our agent thinks we might be able to transit within a week. Wish us luck!

Yep, were in rain forest country!

Attachments

• E35014DA-C375-4A42-91C2-A1E1379E31C2.jpg
    E35014DA-C375-4A42-91C2-A1E1379E31C2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 17
Awesome!! Be safe my friend. Oh 49f but no rain....

John, I suspect there are a lot of TF'ers watching your progress, just don't have anything to add to the commentary. Not all of us are as verbose as ASD. :socool:

John,

I stopped and met you and Tracey at Salpare when I was looking for a place to dock for a couple years and you were preparing to leave. I ended up at Hayden Bay for the past couple of years. I'm now preparing to head down the coast myseld to stay in SF Bay for a year or maybe two. I was wondering if you waited to head down the coast in July because you thought conditions were better then or had other reasons. Second, I was just curious of your longer term plans after you get the boat to Florida. Keep the photos and posts flowing and best of travels to you.

John,

I stopped and met you and Tracey at Salpare when I was looking for a place to dock for a couple years and you were preparing to leave. I ended up at Hayden Bay for the past couple of years. I'm now preparing to head down the coast myseld to stay in SF Bay for a year or maybe two. I was wondering if you waited to head down the coast in July because you thought conditions were better then or had other reasons. Second, I was just curious of your longer term plans after you get the boat to Florida. Keep the photos and posts flowing and best of travels to you.

Bill, I was wondering about you just the other day.
July worked very well for us, we were able to day hop all the way down the coast. August is historically a good month also. You may have problems getting into some of the smaller marinas, but many of them can accommodate your beam.
Where do you plan to park that beast down in the SF Bay Area. Reach out to Flywrite, and a few others in that area, they are a wealth of information.

As of now, we hope to cruise the Bahama’s this winter, but if this Covid thing is still going on then.....well just have to play it by ear. The Covid issue has really put a dampener on sightseeing down here and that is partly why we are moving the boat instead of staying down here.

Cheers

More postings, Crusty!

I have enjoyed following along and one day hope to be able to make this journey.

John,

I have actually lived in the SF Bay area for over 50 years and spent the most of the past decades as research faculty at UC Davis researching, studying, and writing about CA water issues. The Delta is the center of all CA water problems. I don't think there is a channel in the Delta that I haven't already boated. Just want to spend enough time there for friends to get confortable with the boat so they will visit when I get to the Sea of Cortez.

Have to thank you for turning me on to Windy. What was your criteria on Windy to decide to continue down the coast or wait for better conditions?

When I get to the SoC you and Tracey would be more than welcome to come spend some time on DW.

Just got a call from Crusty. He is now sitting at the entrance to the Panama Canal, Panama City. He is very excited.

We made it to the Canal opening!

Since leaving San Carlos MX November 1 st of last year. We have traveled 3,137 NM with a few more to go before we get to the Eastern side of the canal.

We departed Boca Chica, north end of Panama and Island hoped for several days before we got our weather window to get around Punta Mala, it actually came a bit early, so we did an overnight run and arrived to dodge thru all the freighters at anchor to get to the La Playita Marina.

Pics coming

Attachments

• 10E714F2-27C7-4420-9FEA-7F79FED2A3E6.jpg
    10E714F2-27C7-4420-9FEA-7F79FED2A3E6.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 7DC8F199-EC61-4219-9E1C-8FF6F6526089.jpg
    7DC8F199-EC61-4219-9E1C-8FF6F6526089.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 91F25D31-5251-4BBE-8998-45AE78AC7BB0.jpg
    91F25D31-5251-4BBE-8998-45AE78AC7BB0.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 21
A few more!

Attachments

• 6657091F-15CF-47D2-B082-EFC7CFF98EEF.jpg
    6657091F-15CF-47D2-B082-EFC7CFF98EEF.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 19915887-F984-49F5-A869-47A2FC6D5107.jpg
    19915887-F984-49F5-A869-47A2FC6D5107.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
  • EAB0A245-69E3-49F9-AAFA-AAE4C723B58B.jpg
    EAB0A245-69E3-49F9-AAFA-AAE4C723B58B.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24
Just heard Pairadice will be crossing over on the Panama Canal Saturday!!

He has hired a manager, captain and line handlers.

If you had asked a month ago, you would probably be there. But the AA would have been warm....
Does Crusty need a pilot to go through?

Pairadice if on the gulf side, Colon. Looks like a safe passage. Can't wait to hear from her Cap't. Congrats to her crew.

Wow. What an amazing journey. I have followed along with admiration and a hint of jealousy. Great job.

Another item we crossed off the bucket list!

Awake at 02:30 to get Pairadice ready to pick up the “Advisor” at 04:00 am this morning. Advisor arrived at 04:30 and we hovered until 05:30 then started our trek towards the pacific locks, or up hill side. Cruised under the Bridge of America’s and headed to the opening, just a mile or so.
On the uphill side you are behind the “big Boys” and there tug. We had hired an advisor and 2 line handlers to get us through the locks, wise move. These guys did a great job ! Anyway 3 locks up and then we cruised through the Gatun Lake towards the 3 locks on the Atlantic side. On the downhill side your are in front of the big boys, much more enjoyable.
A total of 44.8 miles, longest trek in the shortest distance we have ever had.
Did arrive at Shelter Bay this afternoon at 3:30 almost 12 hours later.
I promise pics as we get decent WIFI .
We toasted the Bucket list item with friends who came down to take the trip with a special bottle of Mescal we had saved from Mexico!!!!
Cheers all, and thanks for following along, “Love ya no ****”!

Congratulations. Quite an accomplishment. Looking forward to hearling more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom