When Does it Become Cost Prohibited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slow- can’t argue with that. Sad but true. Given it takes a modicum of effort to raise sails there’s probably three groups of sailboats:
Cruisers and racers who boats are sailed and used.
Occasional day sailboats whose sails rarely come up.
Dock queens.
Same kind of breakdown for powerboats
Cruisers and fish boats with frequent use.
Occasional day trippers.
Dock queens.
However would not cast aspersions to any in any group. You don’t know the particulars. Limited time due to job or family obligations . Major life change such as a move of residence or divorce. Financial disarray.
I bought two different boats that sat on the hard for years. One was a OSTAR racer I converted to a cruiser. The Englishman who raced her across the Atlantic returned home by airplane. His health failed and so she sat. I bought her for yards bills.
Second one was a pacific seacraft which sat inside in heated storage for years. She was made in California. Bought and shipped to Miami and splashed for a year . Never used so sold and shipped to Massachusetts. Went into inside heated storage. When I bought her stove was never used. There was 5 hours on the engine and sails never used. She was 7 years old at time of purchase. So yes many boats are typically under utilized. Lack of use is detrimental to their integrity. Very low hour boats often need a lot of refit.

Last edited:
Why don't more boaters call a fuel truck to meet them somewhere there is access and close to a road. Why only buy at a marina? I realize it must be hard to find somewhere like this but even if it takes 2 days to get there, you might be saving over $1 or more a gallon. If your tanks don't measure up to the fuel company's minimum delivery, get on the radio and talk up another person willing to go in with you.

Just kind of curious if anyone has done this, has heard of this, or am I just too much farmer-minded?

My friend does that. But he takes on a 1000-1200 gals at a time. I only hold 600 gal, so the most will be in the low 500 range. I talked to one fuel dock (no marina, thats all they do in Boston harbor) they said it would have to be over 1000gal. I asked if I bought a friend with me to meet the 1000 limit. He said, It would have to be 1200+ gal and I am doing you a favor.

Point is, some of us just don't take on that much fuel.

Iggy have been able to do it with out difficulties in Naragansett bay. I like you have two 300 g tanks. Maybe look around and ask around some more.

Iggy have been able to do it with out difficulties in Naragansett bay. I like you have two 300 g tanks. Maybe look around and ask around some more.

Your right! But in Boston Harbor you have some of the big boys around. What I mean is that you have tugs and private yachts and more that take on 3,4 or even 5000 gals at a time. Some even more! They look at me laugh............. One told me, I will give you .10 cents off for Seatow.

In Onset, Redbook and Marion where I sometimes fuel up. I could try the next time I go there.

Lack of use is detrimental to their integrity. Very low hour boats often need a lot of refit.

This is absolutely true. Lack of use leads to lack of maintenance. Many people associate maintenance to usage, so the items that need attention more based on time get ignored because "I haven't used it, why would I need to replace that?"

This is absolutely true. Lack of use leads to lack of maintenance. Many people associate maintenance to usage, so the items that need attention more based on time get ignored because "I haven't used it, why would I need to replace that?"

Yep! Like cars, boats like to be used. I have heard of brushes in a genset will rust up and need to be replaced from the lack of use.

Regarding "Sail Boats", it's really not a sail boat unless it doesn't have an engine, because around here, "sail boats" are really power boats with big sticks since, from what I've observed, they are under power probably 90% of the time.:nonono: . . . . .YMMV

The advantage of the typical "sail boat" is that you get to pay for regularly replacing standing rigging, sails, AND maintaining an engine as well. . . Oh, and only about 2/3rds the living space for the associated length as a power boat. No, I'm not a sail boat hater, I LOVE sailing! I just don't believe in deluding myself either . . . . :hide:

You must be in a different Puget Sound than I am. Most sailboats I see are sailing or motor sailing.
In defense of the ones simply motoring around, winds in south sound are very unpredictable with all the narrow passages and land masses bending the wind. Sailing here is very tough compared to other, more open areas.
Plus, just being out on the water putting around is highly enjoyable. I don’t know if the 2/3 living space is accurate either, the 30 foot sailboat I just sold was huge inside, very comfy and cozy. Add in a nice cockpit enclosure and the usable space grows considerably.
I cruised in south sound in that boat for 25 years or more, annual fuel burn about 35 gallons.
And stability, slow roll period, and being outside on the water are all highly enjoyable features.
I’ve heard all the disparaging remarks over the years, I just don’t understand the reasoning behind them. Just let them roll off, doesn’t affect me to any extent.
At my marina I’m in a minority for sure, I actually use my boats. I just love being out. I don’t care whether power or sail or whatever, just boating.
The biggest drawback to the sailboat in my view was the limited range for the time available. My powerboat allows me to go to a lot more places further away from home.

Why don't more boaters call a fuel truck to meet them somewhere there is access and close to a road. Why only buy at a marina? I realize it must be hard to find somewhere like this but even if it takes 2 days to get there, you might be saving over $1 or more a gallon. If your tanks don't measure up to the fuel company's minimum delivery, get on the radio and talk up another person willing to go in with you.

Just kind of curious if anyone has done this, has heard of this, or am I just too much farmer-minded?

I know many people who have fuel delivered by truck. There are a few challenges. To fuel from truck to a vessel in the water requires a special license in most places. Most places, these trucks are servicing home heating. The market is so small, most don't spring for this license. There are a few companies around ports with a large commercial fishing fleet.

These trucks don't usually want to stop for anything less than a several hundred gallons. Most recreational boats don't have that kind of tankage, those that do, don't necessarily run their tanks down to 20%.

Fuel delivery by truck typically requires a seawall. The idea of 'find someplace on the side of the road' is unrealistic. You're talking about finding somewhere deep enough to get the boat close to shore and shallow enough to hand over the nozzle. Fuel guys aren't going to swim out. (Revisit that license discussion. Licensing includes certification in practices that prevent spills. Swimming out the nozzle will more than likely not fly).

As for the commercial fuel dock, small boats is a lot of work and reduces the amount of fuel you can sell. They don't want to dock 20 different 40 foot boats to sell 200 gallons each. They want to dock a 100 foot boat once and sell 3,000 gallons of fuel. They make no money selling a high volume of low quantities. It's a factor of time and profit.

The nice thing about North Island Marina in B.C. is they can run a fuel hose down each dock. A real nice convenience!

Scot, I think you over-generalize. I am only 1 month away from being part of your example of worst case, as I returned Retreat to her shelter at the end of October and haven't even visited since then. I still consider myself an active boater, just that there are other places to be, people to see, so the boating thing will happen from April to October, this year being, hopefully, somewhat like last year.

How did this turn into a sail vs power debate? Driving an RV on a twisty road will never be as much fun as on a motorcycle, but I'd rather sleep in the RV.

I love raised deck hull designs. Your Lindell sweeps upward beautifully!

Art :speed boat:

I prefer to avoid ladders or stairs to board a boat. Low decks are preferred.:D

Tom, all this increase in fuel costs makes me think that you and Jim and I made that trip to Seattle at a good time. I hope it all works out for you and Kay can still teach you how to catch those elusive salmon.

Tom, all this increase in fuel costs makes me think that you and Jim and I made that trip to Seattle at a good time. I hope it all works out for you and Kay can still teach you how to catch those elusive salmon.
LOL she is the undisputed halibut queen! We haven't 100% decided we are staying on the Columbia this summer. We can always come up to your part of the river.

What gives us pause is $6 a gallon. For us, fuel is our biggest expense as we don't stay at marinas, we prefer being on the hook.

And I prefer to berth and enjoy a land-based restaurant meal.

Attachments

• Pittsburg also.jpg
    Pittsburg also.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 37
LOL she is the undisputed halibut queen! We haven't 100% decided we are staying on the Columbia this summer. We can always come up to your part of the river.

What gives us pause is $6 a gallon. For us, fuel is our biggest expense as we don't stay at marinas, we prefer being on the hook.

I'd still plan to take a trip, just map out a few options for where the "stop and start heading home" point is. Depending on where costs go, you may pick one of the closer end points and maybe find more spots in between that you'd otherwise skip over to keep costs down vs going for the longer distance.

I'd still plan to take a trip, just map out a few options for where the "stop and start heading home" point is. Depending on where costs go, you may pick one of the closer end points and maybe find more spots in between that you'd otherwise skip over to keep costs down vs going for the longer distance.
Good point.

End of day after pissing away my kids inheritance refitting a new to us boat there’s no way I’m spending another winter in New England. The joy of experiencing a new way to boat, exploring skinny water, and not caring which way the wind is blowing has me excited. May not be below 12N but if dawn and dusk is longer than 5 minutes I’m going further south.

How did this turn into a sail vs power debate?...

Thread drift. We could start talking the best brand of baked beans to store on the boat (B&M) and 22 posts later, we'll be talking the preferred gas/oil ratio on a Yamaha 4HP outboard (99:1 according to the specs but of course that's utterly ridiculous). It's a very organic process.

End of day after pissing away my kids inheritance refitting a new to us boat there’s no way I’m spending another winter in New England. The joy of experiencing a new way to boat, exploring skinny water, and not caring which way the wind is blowing has me excited. May not be below 12N but if dawn and dusk is longer than 5 minutes I’m going further south.

It's called SKI (spend kid's inheritance). So when you go skiing, snow is not a requirement.

When you have a boat that is paid for and in working condition, if the fuel cost is a concern then you need to modify your distance travelled per day.

Calculate your average daily cost of fuel in the past year or two. Then calculate how far you can travel with the cost of fuel amount no more than previous average. At the end of the day you will feel good about spending the same per day. Bonus, you will have more time to smell the roses at each destination.

Last I checked our stretch is still open.

Besides I will miss my opportunity to buy SOIN2LA a beer or two.

Don’t feel bad, I won’t.
If you genuinely wish to be charitable, the Port Hardy Food Bank or Port McNeill Community Services will gladly accept your generous donation.

If you don’t want to go out of your way, North Island Marina will accept on the other’s behalf.

If you need help, might I suggest 10% of your fuel bill, which seems of little concern to anyone here. Or go big and make it 5% of your liquor budget.

When you have a boat that is paid for and in working condition, if the fuel cost is a concern then you need to modify your distance travelled per day.

Calculate your average daily cost of fuel in the past year or two. Then calculate how far you can travel with the cost of fuel amount no more than previous average. At the end of the day you will feel good about spending the same per day. Bonus, you will have more time to smell the roses at each destination.

I like this idea! All and all you are still out on water, your close destination is basically a far away place for folks docked 500miles from your homeport!

Who would go back to a 'rag top' whatever the price of fuel.?

for the right boat i would. boating is boating. i don't care if power or sail, a comfortable, seaworthy boat is all i need.

Back
Top Bottom