What's your dream boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HoG was(is) stunning. Was she a Philip Rhodes design? There are similarities to our old 'Rhodie'. Wood or steel? I appreciate the name's etymology.

Oh, can I guess too? Jack Hargrave?

You guys are good!

She was built by Burger Boat Co. Probably the last of her series in steel, with teak decks and wood/canvas house. Designed by Hargrave. She was chined aft but was a displacement cruiser. The year after, Burger forever switched to aluminum. Design draft dropped a foot, higher powered Jimmies, and they became coastal cruisers.

Oh, to add to my list, she would need stabilizers for sure! My heart still pumps faster when I see her photo.

Regarding the name, I became infatuated with naming my ship that after reading Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's series in high school.

photo bridge

to cross France 3.48m by the "standard" one, and 3.18 m for the canal du midi
link 3.18m under canal du midi bridge ...
:)
3.18m air draft on the "canal du midi" :eek::rofl:

Attachments

• pont Hoa.JPG
    pont Hoa.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 26
X2!!!

Our Dream Boat is the one we currently own, cruise, and live on. Any other dream boat at this point, would be just that, a "dream". I prefer to live and cruise in the real world, and not in a dream world.
Having said that, if I had unlimited $$$, I would probably hire someone to figure out why the &$(%& bow thruster will only work in port thrust mode . . . .:banghead::nonono::banghead:

Yesssss!!!

You guys are good!

She was built by Burger Boat Co. Probably the last of her series in steel, with teak decks and wood/canvas house. Designed by Hargrave. She was chined aft but was a displacement cruiser. The year after, Burger forever switched to aluminum. Design draft dropped a foot, higher powered Jimmies, and they became coastal cruisers.

Oh, to add to my list, she would need stabilizers for sure! My heart still pumps faster when I see her photo.

Regarding the name, I became infatuated with naming my ship that after reading Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's series in high school.
I may be a few years older as HHGG didn't come out until I was in my 20's.
My infatuation with what became my first boat's name happened in
college, when I saw the film school screening of John Carpenter's
'Dark Star' that he and Dan O'Bannon made as their graduate project.
Probably not the best choice for a boat's name as things turned out!

Last edited:
You guys are good!

I missed the HGG reference! Thought you were just a huge Neil Young fan.

Dream boat as in singular?? You are kidding right?

Every day is a new dream! I can fall in love quite frequently. There is no perfect boat, but there are just a ton of lovely ones, each for their own reasons.

I should have bought that boat. Dragging it over the Continental Divide notwithstanding.

Yeah. right. I couldn't even induce you to spend a week with us!:D

Attachments

• parliament 2017-XL.jpg
    parliament 2017-XL.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 24
Interesting question.
So, We have generally considered boats our means to adventure and exploring new places. Our sailboat enabled us to cruise the Caribbean, the US East Coast, The Azores, Portugal, Spain, The Balearics, etc as far as Turkey. So we like exploring. However our current boat has not been more than a couple hundred miles from home port and likely will only go as far as the Sea of Cortez (~1800 miles). With that said, my dream boat with unlimited funds is an adventure boat, like The Lone Ranger, which under its prior ownership sailed the 7 seas from the Arctic to the Antarctic according to the 1st Mate (my contact). We took this picture in St. Barts.

Attachments

• St Barts Nov 06 001.jpg
    St Barts Nov 06 001.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 31
Why didn't I think of that?!?

Never mind. Just install a second bow thruster that only thrusts to starboard, and voila - problem solved. (You're welcome).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit
I would probably hire someone to figure out why the &$(%& bow thruster will only work in port thrust mode . . . .:banghead::nonono::banghead:

Dream boat as in singular?? You are kidding right?

Every day is a new dream! I can fall in love quite frequently. There is no perfect boat, but there are just a ton of lovely ones, each for their own reasons.

You're living proof that the 'dream boat' can be a moving target for some. :socool: :D Still got your Seattle fleet, Bill? I might be heading that way sometime and would be happy to take them out for a stretch in your absence. Don't want that diesel fuel going bad, right? Safety first!! Call if I can help you out...

For someone like me in the 'budget yachting' category, I'm loving my simple 1977 34 LRC Californian. She's stable, cheap, capable of 2 week itineraries, owner-manageable and easy to single-hand...drinks 6, feeds 4, sleeps 2. Just right for me!

But then again, I'm probably not leaving the CA Delta or SF Bay anytime soon. You guys float in rough water!! It's a whole 'nuther world out here in the benign, well-protected, freshwater sleepy anchorages of the CA Delta where the largest waves are boat wakes. (Check out the boat in the background of the second shot)

At this stage in my life, calm and benign is priceless.

YMMV :flowers:

PS. Shhhhhhhhhh...don't tell anyone...

Attachments

• 20220925_185543.jpg
    20220925_185543.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220925_150947.jpg
    20220925_150947.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This ship

Interesting question.
So, We have generally considered boats our means to adventure and exploring new places. Our sailboat enabled us to cruise the Caribbean, the US East Coast, The Azores, Portugal, Spain, The Balearics, etc as far as Turkey. So we like exploring. However our current boat has not been more than a couple hundred miles from home port and likely will only go as far as the Sea of Cortez (~1800 miles). With that said, my dream boat with unlimited funds is an adventure boat, like The Lone Ranger, which under its prior ownership sailed the 7 seas from the Arctic to the Antarctic according to the 1st Mate (my contact). We took this picture in St. Barts.

was sold at a very very very low price you can't trust !!
She was for sale and the price going down down down, one day we visit the Less 83 an broker said "this ship is for sale at xxxx", we quickly contact the seller but she was under offer few day before !!!

Not for us !! Of course but could be an interresting operation.

my dream boat is the boat I bought, a 34foot American Tug. Perhaps I sound have bought bigger dream, a 41AT but, this is it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom