What spare do you carry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now that was a crappy job, any pictures of you toiling away?

Nope...simple fix...large mouth vice grips to get outlet hose into a somewhat rounded shape, then a big hose clamp to tease it round. Luckily, no cracks in hose!

The time consuming part was working back from the joker valve & pump until the problem was found.

Hmm, lots of tools, including shrink connectors and the like, multimeter

Gen raw water pump, main raw water pump, joker valves, spare macerator pump, fresh water pump, spare fuel lift pump. Spare alternator, starter, spare parts for the espar furnace, spare filters and oil for everything.
Bunches of hose clamps, spare impellors, spare fan belts.
Spare propellor for the dinghy engine, repair kit for fiberglass, soft wood plugs and those squishable foam plugs...

Other redundancies:

Redundant nav system with its own gps antenna, two dinghies, 2 complete primary anchor set-ups

Lots of food!

Last edited:
Off the top of my head......
Box of 2020 diesel filters 30&10mic
6 oil filters for genset
6 of all filters for the 855
Filter for hydraulics
Filter for gearbox
80 litres of Castrol RX oil
Spare raw water pump for 855 (10 minute changeover)
Impellers x 3 for raw water pump
Spare electric water pump for genset
Spare starter motor
Meter lengths of silicone engine hose
Hose clamps x lots in various sizes
Spare belts for 855 and genset
O rings
Impeller, spark plugs, fuel filter, head gasket, spare prop for OB
Rated chain joiners x 9
Spare 80m length of 13mm anchor chain
120, 100, 60lb plough 50lb sarca, 80lb delta anchors
Fresh water pressure pump x 2
300gph bilge pump and float switches x2
Spare macerator pump
Spare deckwash pump
Kit for rebuilding toilet
8 sheets of 17mm marine ply
4 sheets of 12mm marine ply
Various lengths of dressed hardwoods
3/4 roll of 300gsm double bias
50 litres of epoxy resin
Various fillers for glue and bog
20 litres of epoxy primer
20 litres gloss white
20 litres emerclad (kiwigrip)
Boxes of mixed s/s bolts, screws, boxes of nylon plumbing, box of assorted valving
50x 6 s/s flat bar x 4 lengths
S/s tubing various lengths

Box of wire and connectors, soldered joints etc
Spare bulbs, fuses

Bench grinder, angle grinder, multi cutter, compound mitre saw, drop saw for steel, circular saw, jigsaw, various sanders, multiple battery drills, rattle gun, portable workbench, compressor.
Socket sets x 2, spanner sets x 2, torque wrench X 2, stilsons , crowbar
Hydraulic jack, air shims
Arc welder, s/s rods, will have TIG shortly

Bound to be something I've missed.
Add:
4 lots of redundancy for plotter
2 lots for depth
Spare autopilot head and computer

Why?

There are no shops out here and there is no assistance or towing service in Australia

Last edited:
Another option, when possible, is to step down in technology instead of carrying a spare.

Composting toilet, they don't break, leak, smell, or have a black water tank that needs pumping.

I have an extensive collection of spares including all parts I would possibly use on any maintenance or repair in the annual through 5 year time period. As a coastal cruiser, I draw the line where I feel failure is extremely rare (you have to draw the line somewhere). While crankshaft failures are rare, they do happen. Doubt you will see a cruiser with a spare one.

If I were a passage maker, I would have twins. Imo, the ultimate spare collection is a completely independent redundant drivetrain that can push the boat at cruising speed.

Part of my on going maintenance program is rebuilding systems that may not be likely to fail but have gotten old. Imo, old makes many things with seals, less reliable. So as an example, I rebuilt my helm pump and steer cylinder after it was 18 years old. Once past the infant mortality period, I feel I'm in a better position than bobbing around in the Atlantic trying to effect repairs and hoping it works the first time as I have a limited amount of spare steering fluid.

Ted

"The time to figure out that your "spare" potable water pump is set up different and that you do not have the correct fittings to plumb it in, is not the thing to learn down island somewhere."

Offshore sailors would frequently install the newly purchased spare and keep the operating removed unit as a spare.

A bit of work, but better than a surprise .

For mechanical stuff, here's an approximate list of stuff I've got on the boat (and probably a few more things I've forgotten about). And a few things at home like spare props (getting them shipped wouldn't be a big deal, as I don't have the ability to swap them in the water without outside assistance anyway).

If I were planning a trip to somewhere that getting a part to me would be a challenge, I'd probably add some extra stuff. But most of the time, I don't need to carry the extra stuff and weight around, especially for parts that eventually age out (so I don't want to carry more spares than I'll rotate into use in a reasonable amount of time). Worst case, I limp in somewhere and wait for a day or 2 while something gets shipped to me.

• Spare impellers (1 for generator, 1 engine impeller and housing)
  • Spare belts (1 for generator, 1 engine set)
  • Fuel filters (1 pair for engines)
  • Oil filters (1 pair for engines)
  • Spark plugs (1 engine worth)
  • Oil (enough to change both engines and generator)
  • Coolant
  • Steering fluid
  • Trans fluid
  • Assorted hose clamps, cable clamps, etc.
  • Assorted light bulbs
  • Assorted bits of wire
  • Wiring connectors
  • Assorted bits of hose
  • Assortment of hardware
  • Spare bilge pumps
  • Stuffing box packing (and packing extractor)
  • Spare fresh water pump
Plus a decent set of tools.

ty-wraps and duct tape?

"The time to figure out that your "spare" potable water pump is set up different and that you do not have the correct fittings to plumb it in, is not the thing to learn down island somewhere."

Offshore sailors would frequently install the newly purchased spare and keep the operating removed unit as a spare.

A bit of work, but better than a surprise .
Good advice. 2 years ago, I had a DOA Jabsco Macerator pump I tried to install. Brand new, in box. Made a lot of the right noises so I thought it was a blockage, electrical issue, or other install issue. Took several hours to figure out it was DOA. Had I been out on a cruise, would have really pissed me off.

ty-wraps and duct tape?

Yup, I have those on board as well.

And for things like filters, impellers, belts, etc. When it's time to replace one normally, I install the spares then put the new ones away as spares. Saves ending up with a 10 year old spare impeller.

Yup, I have those on board as well.

And for things like filters, impellers, belts, etc. When it's time to replace one normally, I install the spares then put the new ones away as spares. Saves ending up with a 10 year old spare impeller.

How often do you replace impellers? Why does a car impeller last forever?

I carried too many spares and the perfect amount of tools I never had an impeller or belt fail while underway. My PM program must have worked.
I did have an inverter crap out but overnight shipping took care of that quickly.
Had domestic water hoses come loose 2 times but those were easily fixed.
Missed the lower part of Lake Champlain cause I was fixing a broken shear pin in the windlass. But again I had all the necessary tools which included Mr Dremel to do the job.
I guess I was lucky all in all over my 30 plus years.

How often do you replace impellers? Why does a car impeller last forever?

Interesting thought. The raw main engine raw water pump on the boat we are purchasing is 39 years old, and has never been replaced. Periodically disassembled, and seal replaced, but that's it. It is a bronze impeller. But there are two complete spare replacement kits on board . . . . just never needed!:thumb: Or you can use the crappy rubber/neoprene impeller set ups, and replace once a season.:dance:
Hippo: Great thread by the way!

Raw water impellers are usually rubber, wear is high, they take sets over off season non-use and live in a tough environment dealing with silt and maybe a dry start to so.

Replacement often is annual, but can go multi year depending on use and environment.

Engine coolant pumps are a totally different animal and usually last much longer if coolant is maintained.

Last edited:
If I may play devil's advocate for a minute. Other than full-time liveaboards, most of us have cars that we drive many more hours and miles than our boats. We often carry no spares other than a tire. Though I applaud those who carry all belts, hoses, impellers, fluids, etc, how often do they get used? Why are we ok calling a tow truck but not Sea Tow? Why does my 12 yr old car seem fine with 160K miles on original belts, hoses, water pump etc. (Yes I do occasionally inspect them). Are our supposedly bullet-proof diesels that cost more than my entire car that fragile?

I believe engine coolant pumps usually use vane pumps. These are not self priming where an impellor pump is. On the downside, impellors are a wear item.

If I may play devil's advocate for a minute. Other than full-time liveaboards, most of us have cars that we drive many more hours and miles than our boats. We often carry no spares other than a tire. Though I applaud those who carry all belts, hoses, impellers, fluids, etc, how often do they get used? Why are we ok calling a tow truck but not Sea Tow? Why does my 12 yr old car seem fine with 160K miles on original belts, hoses, water pump etc. (Yes I do occasionally inspect them). Are our supposedly bullet-proof diesels that cost more than my entire car that fragile?

Most boaters do just call a towing service.

Cruisers that don't want to be inconvenienced carry spares to either get going when there is no or distant towing service available, or just have it on hand to change that night after a towing service towed then to a suitable marina or anchorage.

Raw water impellers are usually rubber, wear is high, they take sets over off season non-use and live in a tough environment dealing with silt and maybe a dry start to so.

Replacement often is annual, but can go multi year depending on use and environment.

Engine coolant pumps are a totally different animal and usually last much longer if coolant is maintained.

This. Both of my engines still have the original 35 year old coolant pumps, but the rubber raw water impellers get changed every 2 or so years, mostly to avoid having one fail at an inconvenient time (they usually give up when they get an air bubble during winterizing).

Back you make a good point. Yes, it totally depends on usage. However you need not go far to be in a position where “if you didn’t bring it with you - you ain’t got it”. On a prior boat there was a block of rubber between the shaft and transmission with separate bolts from each side. Believe it was there to save the transmission if rotation of the shaft was impeded. Due to age it failed. We had traveled less than 100nm and were in Rockport Maine. Ended up sending the couple we with cruising with home as we waited for the replacement. Had a Ford Lehman in a prior boat. There was one reliable place to get parts for this old engine. Learned early on to just carry spares for everything I could think of although that was a boat only used coastally. Once you leave your home country parts are a real issue. Depending on island there may be no chandeliers or more likely they don’t have the part. Budget and Island Water World are good but expensive. Then add on shipping etc. You usually can escape import duties being a “yacht in transit” but you still pay through the nose. Took to bringing parts in with any trip home or in the luggage of any visiting friends or family. Then even domestic coastal once you leave your home harbor you need transportation to get to where the part is. A simple $5 part can be an expensive annoying cab ride or car rental and shoot a whole day. So have a different attitude about parts and spares having nothing to do with passage making.

For items such as engine belts that should be replaced periodically install the new and keep the old as a spare. That way you know for certain the spare fits.

For items such as engine belts that should be replaced periodically install the new and keep the old as a spare. That way you know for certain the spare fits.

This was mentioned before by FF. Imo, that's a really bad idea. You replace stuff because it's wearing or aging out. And then you might use it when it's that much older? Keep new spares. Periodically install them and get another new spare. If you doubt your ability to buy the correct replacement, maybe you need to match it to the current one to make sure you have the correct one. Just can't imagine reinstalling a used water pump impeller only to repeat the process as soon as you can get a new one.

Ted

Not doing far offshore cruising but here is the list of spare we carry aboard:
Oil filters, 3 to 5
Oil jugs, enough for 3 oil changes at min
Fuel filters 3 to 5
Impellers, 2 or more
Coolant, at least 1 gal
Hydraulic oil, at least 1 gal
All sort of fuses.
All sort of bulbs.
Bilge pump replacement.
A spare anchor (just in case)
Length of coolant hoses of all needed size.
Belt
Oil pad
Shop towels
Electrical wire
Breakers
All sort of connectors and associated tools to cut, crimp etc
Demineralized water for batteries.
O rings
Length of ropes of all size.
Bilge blower replacement.
... I may miss some like screws, tie wraps, collars etc

L

This was mentioned before by FF. Imo, that's a really bad idea. You replace stuff because it's wearing or aging out. And then you might use it when it's that much older? Keep new spares. Periodically install them and get another new spare. If you doubt your ability to buy the correct replacement, maybe you need to match it to the current one to make sure you have the correct one. Just can't imagine reinstalling a used water pump impeller only to repeat the process as soon as you can get a new one.

Ted
I agree with FF. Install the new part and keep used as spare. If new fails and old spare is installed, replace it ASAP. Rinse, repeat.

As I mentioned, I had recent experience with a DOA macerator pump. Would have been a problem thinking it was a new pump. I realize DOA isn't common, but getting mis-labeled fan belts is not terribly uncommon. There are several ways to get new parts wrong. How many of us have not brought home the wrong voltage pump or similar because it was on the wrong shelf at the chandlery?

Peter

Last edited:
Have run 24v stuff at 12v. Surprisingly it works. For a lot of stuff you can check it without doing a full install. A big bucket and scraps of hoses works for pumps as an example. For a lot of stuff usually buy 2 replacements. Figure one may not work or I’ll screw up the install and ruin it. But that’s been predicated on it having been hard to get spares. Pumps get rebuilt and run so know they will work as a spare. Some plug and play stuff is better off not being checked out before being put into actual use as well. Also over time you learn which things are likely to fail. So think there’s two sides to this coin and you just use your judgment.

. 16 fuel filters (4 racor 1000, 4 CAT, 4 racor 500, 4 westerB)
. 30 gal engine oil
. 20 gal spare diesel
. 5 gal spare gas for dingy
. 2 sets of belts for each engine
. 4 sets of impellers for mains
. 1 water pump for main
. 2 set of impellers for gen
. several reels of various tinned wire and connecters
. tools to do tear down and rebuild everything
. full service manuals on everything
. full set of gaskets and seals for each engine
. spare hoses for fuel, water, and oil lines with several sets of SS hose clamps
. 3 GPS
. 3 VHF ( 1 is a hand held )
. 12 red flares
. 4 3700 GPH bilge pumps
. 2 bilge pump auto switches
. 2 spare anchors
. large trays of nuts, bolts. and lock washers
. spare 24 mile radar (hot)
. spare or backup plotter (hot)
, large assortment of light bulbs to fit everything
. knowledge and ability to work on EVERYTHING

I know that does not cover everything but is a good start :)

For something like a pump, I might be inclined to test the spare before putting into my spares storage. But in general, I want a new spare, not an old, mostly worn out part that's just enough to limp me to somewhere I can get a new one (and then have to swap it again). I'd never dream of keeping a used belt or impeller as a spare, only a new one confirmed to be correct.

I agree with FF. Install the new part and keep used as spare. If new fails and old spare is installed, replace it ASAP. Rinse, repeat.

As I mentioned, I had recent experience with a DOA macerator pump. Would have been a problem thinking it was a new pump. I realize DOA isn't common, but getting mis-labeled fan belts is not terribly uncommon. There are several ways to get new parts wrong. How many of us have not brought home the wrong voltage pump or similar because it was on the wrong shelf at the chandlery?

Peter

So what you're telling me is you don't check the stuff you buy. It's really not that hard to check the number on your belt to the belt on the engine. Open the box on the pump and check the voltage tag. Match filter part numbers with current filters.

I could accept keeping the old one if you had a new one to install first. If the new one wasn't a winner, maybe go back to the old one.

Ted

So what you're telling me is you don't check the stuff you buy. It's really not that hard to check the number on your belt to the belt on the engine. Open the box on the pump and check the voltage tag. Match filter part numbers with current filters.

I could accept keeping the old one if you had a new one to install first. If the new one wasn't a winner, maybe go back to the old one.

Ted

In addition to a ton of boat work, I've remodeled 4 different houses - to the studs. Just seems that one out of 10 times or so, you end up with the wrong widget. Big basket of stuff, and one of the widgets is the wrong size, thread, male when it should have been female, old was 3/4" new is 1/2", the oil sender unit that should have been dual control is actually a single, the stop-solenoid that is actually for a different year engine that you have, eye-ring terminal on a panel is wrong size, adapters are no longer included, replacement item is 10-inches instead of 12-inches, A/P pump you get a deal on is 3-wire instead of 2-wire, pump that says 3/4" inlet is actually 1", lift pump is 180-degrees out of alignment, seized fasteners, NOS Raymarine gizmo you bought as a spare has an odd connector, Seal/o-ring has a crimp, 12V instead of 24V (as mentioned before), I pickup 10 of something and 1 of the 10 was mis-labeled and should have been in the bin next to it, returned items that were mis-marked, all sorts of ways for stuff to go wrong. If you've never had that happen, I don't blame you for not wanting to swap-in new - it's extra work and a PITA. But what's worse is being short the one item you need to complete the install. Half the time it's a measly 5-cent part, but you need it. Happens to me enough that installing new and using old as spare saves me the hassle when the nearest replacement is days/weeks away.

So yea, install new, and put old into spares. If you need the spare, replace with new ASAP. I try to do that. Sometimes I defer the work and forget, but to me, its a good practice. I wish I had a 100% success rate and didn't have to go that route, but I don't. So that's what I do to avoid a bad situation becoming much worse.

Peter

Last edited:
I guess I'm just lucky. I bought a spare starter, raw water pump, fresh water pump, idler pulley, serpentine belts, impellers, raw water pump rebuild parts, fuel and oil filters, thermostats, radiator caps and a bunch of other parts. Open the boxes match parts. Can't remember the last time I received the wrong stuff. Infant mortality in also quite rare.

Ted

Two years ago I ordered a replacement lift pump for my Perkins 4.236 from TAD. They have my engine serial number and all the particulars. Pump came and had all the right numbers to it. Looked like the right pump until I tried to install it. Wasn't off by much, but enough. Similar issue with the stop solenoid assembly and bracket the year before. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Classic risk assessment. Probability of a mismatched spare is fairly low. If you're cruising the ICW and staying in marinas, the impact is pretty low. Venture far afield, the impact grows substantially. Just depends on your appetite for risk.

Peter

I agree with OC completely. For me the labor and inconvenience is far more meaningful than the price of most (not all) parts. I buy two if I expect it to be a wear item and throw the old one away. Why would I want to spend a bunch of time installing an old part I know I'm gonna have to take out and replace in a few days?
BD

Back
Top Bottom