What is this part on my Racor assembly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sababa

Vessel Name
Sababa
Vessel Make
Maritimo 52
2001 Nordic Tug, two years new to me, can’t find any documentation explaining what this stalk is bolted on top of my fuel water separator assembly where I would expect a vacuum indicator might be.

Attachments

• 5981C7B3-7C76-4AAB-990D-556B740D9F79.jpg
    5981C7B3-7C76-4AAB-990D-556B740D9F79.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 64
Whatever was the purpose of that stack will likely remain a mystery. There is no telling for what it was used. Clearly, however, each of the joints is a point of failure. I would remove it all and install a liquid-filled drag needle vacuum gauge directly on top of that "tee". Trawler%20Forum2095747527.jpg

There’s a gauge extension that’s been plugged by a collection of old fittings.
I’d guess the gauge broke and this stuff was onboard.

It depends if it's on the tank side of the filters or the engine side. I would agree it's probably a cludge to replace a broken vacuum gauge. It might be some cludge to adapt a vacuum system to bleed the filters. Either way, it should be simplified or replaced with a proper vacuum gauge.

Ted

Last edited:
I have a big box at home with several of each of those fittings. The gage mounted there likely broke and the PO rifled they his box of fittings and came up with that to get back underway.
The difference is that I would never leave it that way. Too many leak possibilities as stated above.
( plus it looks like doo doo)

Surprised it didn’t come up in my survey. Also doesn’t seem like my PO (who was stickler) to leave a MacGyver job in place. But you never know. Installing a proper vacuum indicator when I’m next back in port.

Perhaps I could decorate it for the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom