What is the long thing attached to the hull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure it is a keel cooler. Maybe for an engine or perhaps for the air conditioning.

Peter Skipp
SALTY LADY N4001

When I bought my current boat it had an external heat exchanger for the fridge/freezer, but it was not as long.

Attachments

• heat exchangee.jpg
    heat exchangee.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 5
My dad always used to say, "It was put there to make you ask questions."

The nuns in elementary school used to say, "Master Raymond, it is a Mystery," when I would ask them a question they had no clew as to the answer!

If I had to wager a guess, and if there is one on both sides, I'd say it is a jellyfish deflector. If only on one side, I'd guess it is to even the hydraulic effects of prop torque. I like my first guess better.

Last edited:
Cooling water tubes

This is cooling water tubes for freshwater cooling on enginees. Commonly used in Norway on smaller vessels20 to 30 feet. It function exellent in cold waters with added glycol for corrotion protection. The motor has additional intake for seawater cooling of the exhaust. These tubes are normally made of copper /brass and should newer be painted.

Cooling water tubes

This is cooling water tubes for freshwater cooling on enginees. Commonly used in Norway on smaller vessels20 to 30 feet. It function exellent in cold waters with added glycol for corrotion..

It's a "lifting rail", quite common on down east lobster boats. If installed correctly (this one looks too low) can add a knot or two to speeds.

I doubt very much it's a cooler of any sort. First it simply doesn't look like one and second it would be a very poor place to mount one. A cooler in that location could not be counted on to remain immersed at all times, they're most commonly mounted further aft on semi displacement hulls and down closer to the keel. Also it appears to be painted which is poor practice for a cooler. If it is a cooler it's a very poor example of one. As I stated previously it's a lifting strake, not the best attempt at but that's my two cents.

Last edited:
Could it be a strake that touches the hard when the boat is careened on a low tide?

The only way to be sure is to see it in person, or get better pictures. That broker is local to me, but they sell boats from all over, so I don't know where the boat is. Looking at the backgrounds in the photos I don't recognize the location, but now that I know what to look for, if I drive by it I'll recognize it. I tend to look at any boats I see when driving. Sadly, this looks like a somewhat less-traveled road, so my chances aren't good.

The Steyr is one tough motor. Cylinders and head in one solid unit, no head gasket to blow. Very rare in the US.

Back
Top Bottom