What does it mean to be a boater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acdfpic

Vessel Name
Destined Nomad
Vessel Make
Albin 40 North Sea Cutter
What does it mean to be a boater? I just had to replace four 8D Lifeline batteries in my boat. Total cost, $4000 for the batteries, plus a little less than $1000 for the youngsters to drag the old ones out and put the new ones in. This old guy does not mess with 160-pound batteries in confined spaces anymore! So close to $5000 total. Ouch…but it’s a boat, it needs what it needs…I’m good with that.

Now…the interesting part. I have a hole in my leather couch at the house. Note to self…do not let Febreze get on leather. This is a couch that I use every day…sometimes for more hours than I should.

Here’s the dilemma, I need a new couch, but the idea of having to spend a couple of thousand on a couch is really tough. I can afford it, but it’s just the idea that is the issue. And no…I’m not married which I know changes the equation drastically.

I figured this group would understand better than other folks. Now…where did I put that brown duct tape?

Greetings,
Mr. A. Get seat covers for the couch to put over the duct tape repair. Will keep adhesive off your pants/shirt.

iu

Last edited:
What does it mean to be a boater? I just had to replace four 8D Lifeline batteries in my boat. Total cost, $4000 for the batteries, plus a little less than $1000 for the youngsters to drag the old ones out and put the new ones in. This old guy does not mess with 160-pound batteries in confined spaces anymore! So close to $5000 total. Ouch…but it’s a boat, it needs what it needs…I’m good with that.

Now…the interesting part. I have a hole in my leather couch at the house. Note to self…do not let Febreze get on leather. This is a couch that I use every day…sometimes for more hours than I should.

Here’s the dilemma, I need a new couch, but the idea of having to spend a couple of thousand on a couch is really tough. I can afford it, but it’s just the idea that is the issue. And no…I’m not married which I know changes the equation drastically.

I figured this group would understand better than other folks. Now…where did I put that brown duct tape?
=======================================

silver lining!!!

the only reason you have this dilemma is that YOU ARE ALIVE!!!!

On the sofa/couch

seems you get a lot of daily use/pleasure, make sure your last words are not

“wish I have replaced that couch, The end!"

This is a great excuse to go to Baja by land or sea, buy a nice Mexican blanket, throw it over the sofa. Every time you sit on it will remind you of a great trip to Baja, which could cost less than a new sofa.

There are people that can repair that hole. Research leather repair.

Hi,

I understand your point, but your leather sofa could get a new life, with this or a similar set of products for only about 20€/$.

My last boat had cream leather benches and sofas, but they got hit and a hole in them. I repaired them and no one noticed the waxed spot, they came out like new...

Easy job!

Totally understand. We are heading from PNW to Florida, and we were researching/trying to find a place to base our boat out of while we cruised Florida, the Caribbean, Bahamas, or up the East Coast, balancing paying for a full year, even if were were planning on being away much of the time, just to secure the spot for our return . . . . Prices were crazy all over the place, but even with a high price, availability was very difficult to find . . . . So we ended up purchasing a dock of our own . . . . that came with a house. We weren't looking to buy a house, really we weren't, but . . . . . it was for the boat!:dance:

We ended up getting way more dock than we needed . . . . . . Maybe we need to get a bigger boat, or maybe a second boat?!? Hmmmm, our current boat is too deep and tall (draft/air draft) to do the great loop . . . . . But a SECOND boat . . .
No Scot, back away from the edge, don't even think about it . . . . . :popcorn:

You paid too much for the batteries. You could have used the money for a new couch. Should have cost less than $2000.

Actually I got a deal on the batteries! I replaced with the same batteries that have been in the boat for the last 6 years, Lifeline AGM 8D. Great batteries and no worries about venting or maintenance. Why would I want to risk my boat...and its very expensive electronic systems.

Back
Top Bottom