West coast vs East coast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
So I am trying to determine where we should relocate to buy a boat and liveaboard. When we first decided to change lifestyles I wanted to go back to Alaska and liveaboard there, choices were open to anywhere coastal Kenai Peninsula. I do have experience working on Alaska waters from Yakutat to Rat Island way out in the Aleutians, although it was some 20 years ago.
I have decided that too far north to Alaska may not be the place to start out with my girlfriend and our son(who should be 10 when we start), due to the fact that the winter may be too harsh for them to see the joy of the lifestyle, unless we are close to skiing. I don't want them to be miserable too much. So I have been looking a little farther south towards PNW. I'm really not wanting to cross bars getting into my home port and I want areas that we can cruise to get away from people occasionally. I feel like I can get that there. But I really know nothing about the east coast cruising and living aboard.

What I would like to find in a homeport.
1. places to cruise to and anchor up to explore wilderness areas, hiking kayaking ect.
2. places where we could Marina hop around for a week or so.
3. A bit of marina community, social opportunities (not for me, I don't like most people, but the girlfriend is the social one.)
4. reasonable dockage rates.
5. place where one or both of us could find employment, possibly even traveling for seasonal employment.

I was thinking North Carolina to Maine for east coast, or Washington state to southern end of southeast Alaska for West coast.

I don't want to deal with the hurricanes just as much I don't want the family to freeze.

We will be in the market for a 36-44 footer, trying to stay under 50' loa.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome, why do you love where you are and why did you choose that area?

I have boated on both coasts. West coast is prettier but there are a lot more places to go on the east coast.

We’ve also boated on both coasts. I’d say it depends on your out side interests and tolerance to weather. IMHO the PNW has some of the better boating, kayaking and exploring but now we prefer the better weather on the East Coast but that’s us.

I have just a little bit of experience in the PNW having chartered a trawler there for a week. But I lived in Oriental, NC and Annapolis for ten years and cruised full time for a couple of years there.

Unlike the west coast, almost all shoreline on the east coast is privately owned so there are limited opportunities for kayaking to and hiking in pristine areas. But for just cruising the Chesapeake can't be beat. There are hundreds of nice anchorages there. The eastern shore has somewhat reasonable housing but all water front places are expensive.

NC is nice but has a fraction of the anchor out spots that the Chesapeake has. But for boating oriented social activity, Oriental can't be beat. Employment opportunities are limited though.

David

One of the big differences is the proximity of all weather harbors on the east coast compared to most of the west coast. In New England it’s usually 10-15nm. The south east may have longer runs in and out to find suitable anchorages but in the northeast it’s pretty easy to avoid the need to find slips or mooring fields. Messing around dinghy exploring or kayaking is easy in any of the big bays as well as nearly anyplace in Maine. There are state and National parks, public launches, dinghy docks all over the place so private land isn’t an issue when you want a nice walk.

I'm kinda planning to do both, myself. I'll stick around on the East coast for a while, and just before I think I might be getting bored with it, I think I'll switch.

I recently got a price quote to ship my 44 footer cross country, and it was 20k. Just one more data point for your thought stew.

PNW, warm in the summer, mild winters, year round cruising. Just a little rain...

I'm in NC and have boated all the way from the Caribbean to Maine. Here in NC our winters can be colder than PNW (often get ice on my saltwater creek) and get lows down to 15F. Not often, but it happens. And the summers can be bloody hot. The Chesapeake can get hotter than here in coastal NC, as we get afternoon sea breeze. Rarely breaks 90F at our place.

Hurricanes are a major PITA in my area. We seem to get more than lots of other areas. We to get threatened a few times a year, and get hit once a year or two. We know how to handle hurricanes, and can survive a cat2 pretty well, a cat3 would be iffy.

But the problem with hurricanes is the disruption. A week to prep, maybe haul out, then at least a week to clean up and get back to normal. Recovering from a bad thrashing takes even longer.

Every place on the east coast has its pros, and each has its cons. Lots of folks summer in the NE and go south after hurricane season. Snowbirds. That lifestyle has its pros and cons too!! But you sure get variety.

I live in WA so I'm somewhat familiar with the cruising areas in the Puget Sound and north areas. I would avoid a coastal PNW marina because when you leave the slip you have two choices--turn north or south, and it can be a bummer to be "landlocked" because the winds keep blowing.

Puget Sound offers hundreds of places to go and many are a short day's cruise. Further north is the San Juan Islands and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Both areas have lots of places to cruise to and anchor out or stay at a marina.

I've never cruised the east coast so I can't compare them but I can tell you that you won't get tired of finding new places in the PNW.

I'm in NC and have boated all the way from the Caribbean to Maine. Here in NC our winters can be colder than PNW (often get ice on my saltwater creek) and get lows down to 15F. Not often, but it happens. And the summers can be bloody hot. The Chesapeake can get hotter than here in coastal NC, as we get afternoon sea breeze. Rarely breaks 90F at our place.

Hurricanes are a major PITA in my area. We seem to get more than lots of other areas. We to get threatened a few times a year, and get hit once a year or two. We know how to handle hurricanes, and can survive a cat2 pretty well, a cat3 would be iffy.

But the problem with hurricanes is the disruption. A week to prep, maybe haul out, then at least a week to clean up and get back to normal. Recovering from a bad thrashing takes even longer.

Every place on the east coast has its pros, and each has its cons. Lots of folks summer in the NE and go south after hurricane season. Snowbirds. That lifestyle has its pros and cons too!! But you sure get variety.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to deal with hurricane season, we will be living aboard and one of us will probably be employed shoreside

Being a snowbird on the east coast has been kicking around in my mind also. Are you also a skier?

Last edited:
Rhode Island and Delaware don't impose sales tax or excise tax.

When I saw this I was thinking the exact opposite: I have boated on both coasts. West coast is prettier but there are a lot more places to go on the east coast.

I have taken the below in italics directly from Wiki:

The British Columbia Coast stretches from the southern tip of Vancouver Island along the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the community of Stewart at the head of Portland Canal. The aerial distance between these two points is approximately 954 km (593 mi). However, due to its deeply incised coastline and over 40,000 islands of varying sizes, the total length of the British Columbia Coast is over 25,725 kilometres (15,985 mi), or approximately 10% of the entire Canadian coastline. This coastal geography is shared with the neighbouring U.S. states of Alaska and Washington.[4]

Pretty hard to beat that and I haven't even included Washington and Alaska. I will include a link to "Introduction To The Inside Passage" by Slowboat at the end.

For sheer awesomeness, its hard to beat Washington on up and the more up you go, the more awesome. And I've lived in some pretty awesome places, like Jasper Alta situated in the Canadian Rockies, routinely doing the drive from Banff to Jasper (those in the know will be nodding their head wisely as they know what killer views there are along this roadway. I have also lived in the most southerly Canadian fjord in Indian Arm in a place called Deep Cove. Routinely drove to Whistler and back to the Cove during the Olympics, working the Paralympics. Many car commercials are shot on the highway paralleling Howe Sound.

But two days ago, giving my boat engine its first work out to see what it is capable of after the required 20 hour Mercury break in period, I cruised from Comox, over to Powell River, past Lund, past the Copeland Islands, up the West side of West Redonda Island, into Deer Passage, then Pryce Channel, down the Waddington Channel, back through the Copeland Islands and home in 5 1/2 hours. On your average trawler, this trip would take roughly 15 hours. And for you Desolation fans, I passed two boats the entire time.

I have to say in all my life I haven't seen anything as dramatic as the view in Lewis Channel into Deer Passage and Pryce Channel. And its suppose to be even better into the Broughtons and the Alaska Panhandle.

For dramatic, isolated scenery you can't go wrong with the Northern West coast area. But I don't think I'd recommend living aboard full time. I could definitely see living on a boat for 7 of the 12 months on Whidbey Island (7th largest continental island of the States). And I would live in a condo (rented or not) for the remaining 5. Now there are about 6 boats at my marina in Comox with full time liveaboards so they would certainly ignore my advise. But if you can successfully and enjoyably live on a boat then a small condo tossed into the mix won't be a challenge.

And now, the intro vid to the inside passage:

Wifey B: The problem is the wording as West Coast vs. East Coast. Dozens of different boating environments involved. So here are Wifey B's hot sports opinions.

Southern California. Perfect climate but very few places to go. Mostly big city life which I love but doesn't sound like what you want.

San Francisco Bay area. Beautiful and some inside boating but once you venture out you have a long trip anywhere.

Portland. Nice river and places to explore. Coming out at Astoria can be challenging but then go where? Same issues. Plus gets cold. I'd apply this the rest of the coast north too.

Puget Sound, Seattle, and all the bazillion other places. Really year round boating is possible although winters a bit cold. As a South Floridian, my criticism of the area is that there's no real summer. I see it's popularity among those who aren't big swimmers or recreational athletes or bikini fans. It's still a beautiful area and some of this depends on what you're use to. However, you are use to it. No finer city to live than Vancouver. I can't see a better place for you than right where you are.

Alaska. Too cold, too dark much of the year.

Now to the East Coast

NC has cold in winter and has hurricanes. In fact, anywhere on the coast has hurricanes. You dismissed the best boating in the world however over hurricanes and that's South and Florida and the Keys and Bahamas. Plenty of people life here just fine. But back to NC, both issues exist. Still a nice coast.
Chesapeake Bay. Incredible boating. Too cold to live on a boat in the winter though for me and colder than you're use to.

North of there just too frigid for living on a boat although New England has some incredible boating.

Now, if you're use to Vancouver, you might well find the heat in the South to be problematic, but your 10 year old would likely love it.

That's the problem. Where could you be comfy living. Then what kind of boating near it. The SE, including FL has a great combination of comfortable living and incredible near by areas for boating, including the unparalled magic of the Bahamas.

I hate to say this but if you're use to and like the PNW, then that's probably where I'd stay. :)

Wifey B:

Hey wait a minute. Its only cold when its dark in the winter. I do see bikinis in the summer in Alaska worn by hardy Alaskan ladies :eek:

Don't mind that white stuff on the ground, its just frozen water.:thumb::D

Wayfarer (Dave) this one is for you, a slight thread highjack. You said: I'm kinda planning to do both, myself. I'll stick around on the East coast for a while, and just before I think I might be getting bored with it, I think I'll switch.I recently got a price quote to ship my 44 footer cross country, and it was 20k.

Why not bring you and boat around by yourself, maybe bring a buddy along, or a string of buddies. It will be cheaper and definitely an adventure.

Canal fees

Galvez took care of payment as part of his agent services, providing a receipt outlining fees. If you’re organising your own paperwork, the Admeasurer provides a form which you take to Citibank and pay. The biggest variable is based on the size of your boat. Under 50ft, the transit toll is $800. For boats 50-80ft, the fee is $1,300. Length is a true ‘length overall’ including bowsprit, pulpits, davits, etc. Totem’s documentation shows our LOA at 46ft 8in but we exceeded 50ft when measured from the front of our anchor to dinghy davits. Deflating the dinghy edged us just below the 50ft mark of the Admeasurer’s indisputable tape.

In addition to the ACP charges, a buffer fee of nearly $900 is due. This is a bond to cover potential fines or additional charges which could be incurred by missing an assigned slot, being too slow, needing a water taxi for line handlers, or other events. An agent covers the buffer fee for you.

For do-it-yourself transiters, the fee (like other official canal tolls) can be paid by credit card, in cash, or bank wire transfer at Citibank along with other standard fees. The buffer will be reimbursed after a successful canal transit is completed.

Our all-in cost to transit the canal (including non-canal specific formalities) was a little over $2,000: this included visas, cruising permit, and clearance fees. It’s a lot of money, but Cape Horn and the North West Passage present inconvenient alternatives and the necessary gear would have set us back more than that!

Every step of the process with Canal authorities was above board, the only flaw being a port captain in Colón who claimed an error in our original entry formalities required a $20 fee to correct. As it was one hour from our scheduled departure, we were stuck without any option to dispute it – delaying transit could incur an ACP fine. It is one of the only times in our decade of cruising we’ve knowingly paid an ‘unofficial fee’.

The salmon is better in the PNW while the lobster and scallops are better in the NE.

Wifey B: Seriously, who eats salmon and tuna when they can get Stone Crabs and Lobster or Snapper or Dolphin. :D

Wifey B: Seriously, who eats salmon and tuna when they can get Stone Crabs and Lobster or Snapper or Dolphin. :D
Wash your mouth out with soap Young lady!!

Fresh salmon, halibut and dundee all topped off with king crab....

Wifey B: The problem is the wording as West Coast vs. East Coast. Dozens of different boating environments involved. So here are Wifey B's hot sports opinions.

However, you are use to it. No finer city to live than Vancouver. I can't see a better place for you than right where you are.

Chesapeake Bay. Incredible boating. Too cold to live on a boat in the winter though for me and colder than you're use to.

North of there just too frigid for living on a boat although New England has some incredible boating.

Now, if you're use to Vancouver, you might well find the heat in the South to be problematic, but your 10 year old would likely love it.

I hate to say this but if you're use to and like the PNW, then that's probably where I'd stay. :)

Hello Wifey B,

Alaska is only dark during the cold season, but plenty of light in the summer.

Never been to Vancouver but heard it can be an experience in itself.

We are in Vermont now and I often compare the temps to where I used to live in south central Alaska, often times during the winter is regularly about 10 degrees cooler here in Vermont than Coastal Alaska.

I prefer halibut and salmon over lobster ( I shall shield myself now from the stones of the lobster lovers). I don't eat much seafood here in Vermont, too far from the ocean.

Florida isn't out of the question but would want to be a snowbird and come down Novemberish.

I've got to force my boy to wear shorts and a tshirt when its 90 out. he prefers long sleeves and pants, although he loves to swim and be in the water, also I don't fare too well in a bikini.

How are moorage rates and availability during the winter in South Florida?

My trouble is I want to experience it all and am not sure where to start.

Wayfarer (Dave) this one is for you, a slight thread highjack. You said: I'm kinda planning to do both, myself. I'll stick around on the East coast for a while, and just before I think I might be getting bored with it, I think I'll switch.I recently got a price quote to ship my 44 footer cross country, and it was 20k.

Why not bring you and boat around by yourself, maybe bring a buddy along, or a string of buddies. It will be cheaper and definitely an adventure.

I haven't ruled it out, but something about the scale of that trip that scares me more than excites me. I'm not sure I've got the boat for a job like that, honestly. It would probably take me a year... lol. It would be one hell of an adventure though...

My trouble is I want to experience it all and am not sure where to start.

Well, maybe let the boat make that decision for you. Cast a wide net for the most perfect boat, and start the adventure wherever she happens to be. I wouldn't have chosen to start my adventure in Toronto, but that's how it worked out.

If you plan on doing the Canal just realize all costs multiple once you’re over 50’. They measure the boat and they mean 50’. That includes everything. Davits, bowsprit, anchor on roller. Everything. Our last boat was marketed as 46’ . But builder had davits that would rotate in. Otherwise it would be >50’ and incur all those additional fees.

CharlieO,
I prefer long sleeve shirts and pants too.
All my life

I live in WA so I'm somewhat familiar with the cruising areas in the Puget Sound and north areas. I would avoid a coastal PNW marina because when you leave the slip you have two choices--turn north or south, and it can be a bummer to be "landlocked" because the winds keep blowing.

Puget Sound offers hundreds of places to go and many are a short day's cruise. Further north is the San Juan Islands and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Both areas have lots of places to cruise to and anchor out or stay at a marina.

I've never cruised the east coast so I can't compare them but I can tell you that you won't get tired of finding new places in the PNW.

Hi neighbor! Not sure about the rest of it... but I'm pretty partial to the Tri-Cities for boating! Doesn't meet post authors criteria however... as nice as it is to boat at the juncture of 3 rivers!! So Beachcomber hasn't sold yet?

Mark

Snowbirding on the East or any coast adds the complexity of moving a vehicle back and forth multiple times.

Snowbirding on the East or any coast adds the complexity of moving a vehicle back and forth multiple times.

We will probably be selling the cars and motorcycles, we will keep the truck for a while until we are established and comfortable on the boat.

Dingy and ebikes will be our transportation hopefully.

There are no snowbird boaters on the west coast, not because there isn't appreciable snow, but because it's over 2000 nms between tip of Baja and PNW. Except for cluster of marinas in SoCal, there are roughly a dozen all weather ports along the way with big water along much of the coast. Heading to PNW for the summer is not uncommon, but still a tiny fraction of east coast snowbirds. It's beautiful cruising, but much different than east coast.

Peter

Charlie O,

Looks like you've been around a bit and certainly have a feel for different areas. If you're in Vermont now, you know cold. For me, anything below 60 is really cold, and why I'm in Florida.

As for a choice.... there's just too many variables. I'm an east coaster, Florida most of my life, growing up in the Midwest (so I know cold).

As few things I've notice here in FL:
First, it's too crowded.... and the whole east coast is. Massive crowds once you get up in the DC, PA, NY area. However, there are nooks and crannies to get away from the crowds.

One excellent way is just live on the water... and in a short time you can most likely find some solitude, with little exception. And there's still a LOT of small towns, parks and preserves and islands that have very few people for exploring. And, in a lot of places, there are a lot of anchorages. I've got several dozen within an hour of my house, and a few are secluded, and I live in St. Pete, FL, with a huge populated area of crammed in people.

You asked about marina prices.... in a nutshell, they are expensive. Usually in the $2 ft or more, and double or more in southern FL in the winter. Again, there are anchorages.

A comment about commuting.....
I did a commute from St. Pete to southern WI for about three years. Never drove it, just kept a car in my hangar at both ends and flew there in my plane. Also kept a duplicate of clothes, household stuff, tools, and toys (but the boat was a lot smaller, lived on a lake in WI). But, after awhile, I got tired of it and just prefer to be in FL year round. Commuting was not for me, as it's just easier to take a few weeks off and go somewhere and just forget about it when coming home.

Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom