West coast vs East coast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you plan on doing the Canal just realize all costs multiple once you’re over 50’. They measure the boat and they mean 50’. That includes everything. Davits, bowsprit, anchor on roller. Everything. Our last boat was marketed as 46’ . But builder had davits that would rotate in. Otherwise it would be >50’ and incur all those additional fees.

Did I miss it?
What canals are we talking about?

You asked about marina prices.... in a nutshell, they are expensive. Usually in the $2 ft or more, and double or more in southern FL in the winter. Again, there are anchorages.

$2 a foot is that the daily rate?

$2/foot plus $10-$20 for electric isI would say average to slightly above (but common for bigger or well located marinas).

There are free tie ups in places between NJ and Florida, some have size limitations, quite a few free day docks..... mooring balls usually run less than $25/night but aren't real common in/south of NJ.

Hi neighbor! Not sure about the rest of it... but I'm pretty partial to the Tri-Cities for boating! Doesn't meet post authors criteria however... as nice as it is to boat at the juncture of 3 rivers!! So Beachcomber hasn't sold yet?

Mark
Same here with boating in the Tri. I've lived here almost 44 years and boated here most of that time. It would take a LOT of dynamite to blast my butt out of the Tri-Cities. We are blessed in so many ways and our lives here in Pasco are a big part of that.

Nope, Beachcomber hasn't sold yet. That failed part when we left for Seattle in July cost us over a month delay until the 3 of us could clear up our calendars for another departure. That month delay put us just ever so slightly out of the prime boat selling season.

But the boat is safely in Seattle after a phenominal trip and I expect it will be there at the boat dealer's until the Feb-March opening of the boat selling season again.

Wifey B: The Tri-Cities have spoken. :D

That makes me think that often what we love is where we've been and what we know best. When I first joined my husband on a lake in NC, that was all I knew of boating and I loved it. We went with acquaintances once to the TN River and I dreamed of it, perhaps for retirement. Then we magically ended up in Paradise, otherwise known as South Florida. :D

However, we've boated so many places and enjoyed them all. I'd say there's a lot to be said for familiarity. I'd also say I could enjoy anywhere on the water, except.......(hold your breath, here comes the big reveal. :eek:

Climate. Environment. Amenities. :ermm:

Think of the climate you're use to. Having very nearly avoided any cold weather for 8 years, I couldn't go back. Sorry, not moving to Minneapolis or to Ketchikan or to Boston. All nice place, but not the climate for me. So think about your tolerances of different climates. ;)

Environment, some of us are made for big cities and some for country with few people around. I enjoy visiting nowhere. I loved some of the areas of Alaska with great wildlife and no people. But for home, I'm spoiled by city life. Many couldn't tolerate large cities. :)

Then amenities fits with that. Are you happy with a marina that's really nothing but a dock and with no real amenities near or would you prefer to be somewhere with tons of service at the marina, delivery available for meals from dozens of restaurants and grocers, anything you'd want nearby, a pool and gym for your use, tennis court. :socool:

So my point is it's not one place is better than another. It's fit for you and I think those are the factors that are most critical to most of us in choosing home. :D

Like a tree, you grow where you are planted.
Dont worry about east or west coast or Gulf of Mexico.

I didn't see anyone address the skiing issue. Needing enough skiing to keep the family happy, I'm thinking there is one clear answer: Bellingham, WA. Mt. Baker is the local "hill" and legendary in the quantity of snow that accumulates most years. And, it's close. As is Steven's Pass, and Whistler, to name a few. Match that with the proximity to the San Juan's and Canadian Sunshine Coast, winner winner, chicken dinner!

I didn't see anyone address the skiing issue. Needing enough skiing to keep the family happy, I'm thinking there is one clear answer: Bellingham, WA. Mt. Baker is the local "hill" and legendary in the quantity of snow that accumulates most years. And, it's close. As is Steven's Pass, and Whistler, to name a few. Match that with the proximity to the San Juan's and Canadian Sunshine Coast, winner winner, chicken dinner!

Wifey B: Skiing is mostly done on lakes but some on the coast. Use to have tons of skiiers and boarders on our lake. Hubby and I skied some. :D

Oh you mean in the cold and snow and broken bones kind of skiing? Actually we had that not far from our home in NC, but not our sport. :rolleyes:

Waaaay less fences and Private Property/No Trespassing signs on the BC & Alaska coasts :thumb:

Where’s Murray’s 13’ snowfall post .. I think from last year.

With all the talk of rain in PNW and southeast AK could I just harvest the water from the sky instead installing a water maker?

Rain droplets contain dirt , condensation nuclei , if filtered it is fine for use.

The first rain is allowed to wash the salt away , the rest can be captured for use.

With all the talk of rain in PNW and southeast AK could I just harvest the water from the sky instead installing a water maker?

Summers can get really dry, to the point of marinas shutting off their water supply. We shun marinas and are former sea kayakers, so have often filled water jugs at steep mountainside streams.

While paddling we have taken water from trickles where bedrock meets a beach on low lying outer islands. On one beach the water was as brown as root beer and had a foamy head because the source was peat bogs & swamps inland. Good stuff...never got sick :thumb:

WifyB makes good points. I prefer exploring ports and gunkholes some prefer fishing, some dream of long offshore passages or islands. I was never bored for new places to explore from NYC north but West FL is ok since the weather is better.

Last edited:

The San Francisco Bay and Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta would give you a run for your money in this regard, too.

I haven't read all the posts so apologize if this was all ready mentioned. Your biggest problem may be finding a marina that allows live aboards.

Thing to think about on the east coast is the humidity. Basically, from the Mason Dixon Line south the humidity is what is going to make you miserable in the summer (IMO). Even upstate NY is pretty humid in July and Aug. The farther south the worse it is. Also, the further south the longer it lasts. Yeah, So. FL is very nice from about December to the end of March. Rest of the year, not so much (again IMO).

There is a big difference in the comfort level between 95 degs in say Las Vegas vs. Miami.

The coastal PNW is more humid than you think, but the lower temps help make it feel more comfortable. Although if the temp drops too much you feel cold and damp whereas in Las Vegas, you'd just feel cold.

Last edited:
The SE coast of Florida is much better than from say Canaveral to Norfolk.

The sea breeze makes the Indian River and beaches pretty bearable. Much better than inland. The rest of the coast might be better, but I was pretty hot in Myrtle Beach last summer right on the ICW.

I have never owned a boat on the west coast but certainly been to the ocean. One major considerstion for me is whether or not you like to get in the water..lol. I like to spend time in the warm waters off the Florida coasts myself.

The San Francisco Bay and Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta would give you a run for your money in this regard, too.

Many boaters enjoy the protected waters of the San Francisco estuary (bays, straits, rivers, estuaries). That includes areas with freshwater many enjoy swimming or skiing. Never far from fuel, blackwater disposal, restaurants, and interesting historical sites. Most months have no rain either. Most all grounds are favorable to anchoring (thick-mud bottoms).

East Coast or West Coast

Thats good information too. I was wondering about that aspect too. Thanks.

I've lived in and boated around So Cal, Whidbey Island/Puget Sound/San Juans, Coastal NC, Jacksonville, Fl, Pensacola, Fl and points in between. All have their plusses and minuses. The white sands of the Fl Panhandle are beautiful. The ICW on the Gulf Coast and the East Coast is fantastic, in terms of cruising destinations and safety. Pamlico Sound, Albemarle Sound and the Outer Banks can't be beat. You could spend the rest of your life cruising from the Va/NC border to the NC/SC border and never see everything. However, all of these areas are catcher's mitts for hurricanes and you will have to deal with them, repeatedly, if you live/cruise in this area.

If I were in a position to start from a blank slate, here's what I'd do, knowing what I know now:

I'd go to Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, Wa and buy a 32/34/36' Trawler then I'd buy one of the small condos about 5 minutes from the marina that face the water or a small house in Oak Harbor so that I'd have a permanent home to dry out, entertain and relax in and then I'd spend all the time I wanted living on my Trawler and cruising the Puget Sound/San Juan Island area. The beauty is phenomenal. Coopeville, Oak Harbor, Anacortes, Friday Harbor and more are great places to visit. The other option would be Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes which is on Fidalgo Island (just north of Whidbey Island, connected by the Deception Pass Bridge). Anacortes has more to offer and is a little more "quaint" than Oak Harbor but it's also more expensive. A hidden benefit of this area is that there is no shortage of diesel mechs, Marine electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc and boat yards. Hell, they build America's Cup boats here. Summers are gorgeous and winters are mild and as long as you can give up swimming in warm water, the entire package of living there is worth the down side of the long, dark winters. You are close to several very good ski areas. An added benefit of Whidbey Island is that it is in a "rain shadow" from the mountains and receives significant'y less rain than Seattle.
Happy Hunting!

East Coast vs West Coast

Hello Wifey B,

Alaska is only dark during the cold season, but plenty of light in the summer.

Never been to Vancouver but heard it can be an experience in itself.

We are in Vermont now and I often compare the temps to where I used to live in south central Alaska, often times during the winter is regularly about 10 degrees cooler here in Vermont than Coastal Alaska.

I prefer halibut and salmon over lobster ( I shall shield myself now from the stones of the lobster lovers). I don't eat much seafood here in Vermont, too far from the ocean.

Florida isn't out of the question but would want to be a snowbird and come down Novemberish.

I've got to force my boy to wear shorts and a tshirt when its 90 out. he prefers long sleeves and pants, although he loves to swim and be in the water, also I don't fare too well in a bikini.

How are moorage rates and availability during the winter in South Florida?

My trouble is I want to experience it all and am not sure where to start.

If you are thinking of Fl and being a snowbird, (or anywhere on the Gulf Coast or East Coast) hurricanes will be a part of your yearly concerns and you will have to be prepared for your boat to either be lost or damaged in a major storm and you'll have to deal with that, in the aftermath. I'm on the hard now getting repairs from Sally. There are haul out plans but these cost as much as your annual ins premium and your boat won't survive a direct hit from a major storm anyway. This is just something you have to deal with in Fl and the problem is compounded if you are an absentee owner. Many marinas don't allow absentee owners and many more don't allow long term live aboards here either. The farther South you go, the more expensive slips are. There are many areas in Fl where you are not allowed to anchor; you have to have a mooring, which may or may not be available. In many ways, our state is becoming less and less boater friendly. When it's a sunny day with blue skies and calm weather, having our white sandy beaches and Emerald colored water, anchoring in 12' and being able to see the bottom while the Blue Angles do their practice show overhead is fantastic. The downside is our extreme weather.

East Coast vs West Coast

While I have boated on both coasts, even transiting the Panama Canal, the majority of my years have been spent in the Chesapeake region. I’ve lived aboard, and have owned boats from a 14’ skiff up to a 72’ antique motor yacht, here in Colonial Beach, VA. We’re in fairly descent size water with the Potomac being several miles wide at this point. We’re 40 miles from the Bay, not an Annapolis or a Solomons, but a great, well protected area with quite a number of State & National Parks along the River, and private property owners who, for the most part, always welcome boaters or kayakers. We only have about 20,000 residents in the entire County! There are plenty of creeks with great, protected, anchorages providing plenty of uncrowded swing room.
All the best in your decision making

I'd think the East coast will give you more options. The water is warm enough for swimming most places, depending on the time of year. Have you considered not home porting it just yet and doing the Great Loop? You'll get to see a lot of varied places. The Chesapeake Bay is great cruising grounds. Plenty of anchorages and also plenty of marinas. It's a huge area, with so many areas to explore it's unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom