Washer dryer removal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscar

Guru
Vessel Name
Lady Kay V
Vessel Make
1978 Hatteras 53MY
Like many others Hatteras had (has?) a habit of building boats around appliances and engines of course. To remove one has to get creative or "modify" the boat. I've already cut up a dead fridge and a dishwasher. Now it was the washer dryer's turn. Technically it would have fit through the forward hatch which is 7' above the floor. That would take either a few bodies, or a crane or some contraption with 2/4's and a winch on deck. None of which was going to happen last night in 32ºF. I was on my own and tied up in the slip. So like the other appliances I made it so it WOULD fit through the doors and easily so by myself. This was the scene on the dock this morning. After that it fit in very little space in the dumpster so I wasn't "that guy" and filling it up with "other than household trash".........:D:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_8757.jpg
    IMG_8757.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8747.jpg
    IMG_8747.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 27
I've been dreading the day my washer -dryer combo dies for that exact reason. I have no idea how to get it out. You did well.

How will you get the new one in?

On a previous boat I was putting a household refer into the boat. I took a sliding door off the boat and removed the trim around the opening. We stripped down the refer and had 1/16” clearance to get it in through the opening. Glad the specs on the new refer were accurate.

I feel your pain. We removed the washer/dyer combo on Hobo a year after ownership. Having to dismantle it to remove it from the build out and then to get it up the stairs was not for the faint of heart. Removing the dryer from the washer was part of the trick for us but it still a major PIA!

The new unit is a Spendide (about 1/2 the height) and two strong people with some lifting straps, we were able to lift/slide it into the old area with some modifications. Fortunately the Spendide has been trouble free

I waited until Sonas was going to the yard and had Lambs take the whining washer out.

They have the equipment and young muscles for the job. Just not worth risking injury.

Like many others Hatteras had (has?) a habit of building boats around appliances and engines of course. To remove one has to get creative or "modify" the boat. I've already cut up a dead fridge and a dishwasher. Now it was the washer dryer's turn. Technically it would have fit through the forward hatch which is 7' above the floor. That would take either a few bodies, or a crane or some contraption with 2/4's and a winch on deck. None of which was going to happen last night in 32ºF. I was on my own and tied up in the slip. So like the other appliances I made it so it WOULD fit through the doors and easily so by myself. This was the scene on the dock this morning. After that it fit in very little space in the dumpster so I wasn't "that guy" and filling it up with "other than household trash".........:D:D:D

Oscar, are you on the Hatteras Owner's Forum? Lots of tips and discussions about this and similar issues. I'm also curious why you removed it, they are usually quite serviceable. Though I was very glad that the PO removed the old original unit on our 56 with newer small Maytag stacking units.

Nordhavn built my boat around the washer, too. When it died I had to take it apart in our stateroom before the pieces would fit through the door. Watch out, some of those pieces are sharp.

Of course this meant the new one had to be disassembled, too, but it also had to be reassembled to function. Not quite as much fun as destroying the old one!

Oh well, worth the hassle to be free of laundromats.

Been there. Done that. I should have made a YouTube video of how I had to disassembled the old unit to remove it. Then I had to disassemble the new unit to get it in place. I will say, the old unit had a 19” dryer drum. The new unit is a stackable and has a 24” dryer drum. In the end I was glad the old unit died. It was like moving from a rotary land line to a smart phone.

Yes, I am on the Hatteras forum, have been for years. I took it out because it was dead AND 30+ years old. Rust, dirt.

Disassembly is really no big deal, and took less than an hour. Screw gun with phillips head, side snips for the wires. The only part that didn't want to play nice was the motor in the washer part. I wanted it out because it reduced the weight of that chunk by 20 pounds. A sharp hack saw made quick business out of cutting the shaft.

Like I said there's a combo going in and I will gain a crap ton of storage above it as the old one filled the hole, but only utilized the front 2/3 of it......

There was no blood...:D.. which is surprising as there usually is. I was careful, mostly so as to not booger up my woodwork.

Attachments

• IMG_8756.jpg
    IMG_8756.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 24
Yes, I am on the Hatteras forum, have been for years. I took it out because it was dead AND 30+ years old. Rust, dirt.

Disassembly is really no big deal, and took less than an hour. Screw gun with phillips head, side snips for the wires. The only part that didn't want to play nice was the motor in the washer part. I wanted it out because it reduced the weight of that chunk by 20 pounds. A sharp hack saw made quick business out of cutting the shaft.

Like I said there's a combo going in and I will gain a crap ton of storage above it as the old one filled the hole, but only utilized the front 2/3 of it......

There was no blood...:D.. which is surprising as there usually is. I was careful, mostly so as to not booger up my woodwork.

That looks like some water supply plumbing that could stand an upgrade while the space is open.

Ted

Our stacker removal was the same as Larry's on Hobo. Came out in little pieces - four wheelbarrow loads is my recollection. Replaced with a Spendide, which has worked great. Bonus was linen cabinet above and storage below.

That looks like some water supply plumbing that could stand an upgrade while the space is open.

Ted

The valves are not shutting off completely. Contemplating proper ball valves.

Since we used the large-than-a-Splendide washer as a clothes hamper, it didn't seem to us that a combo unit would free up any overall storage space. Plus, when we had a lot of laundry, being to dry a previous load while washing a new load freed up a lot of time and effort as well.

Back
Top Bottom