Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I'm going to paint every square inch of exterior teak wood. I may use some of the viet stuff inside. Anyone here know what is a good paint for outside teak over varnish ??? I have had it with Brightside, I used it on my 42 sailboat and birdshit made it peel. Plus it dulled out in 18 months.
To get a better paint than Brightside youíre going to need to go to a two part paint like Perfection or Awlgrip. Unfortunately if you put two part paints on varnish it will lift the varnish like paint remover. It might be possible to put an epoxy barrier coat between them but thatís beyond my pay grade. Give the paint manufacturer a call and ask them.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I prefer Vietnamese food to Vietnamese Varnish.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Been a decades since I for years often applied varnish on various boats... both interior and exterior.

In NY, during 1960's, I did multi layers of Valspar varnish over mahogany wood.

We'd take the wood down to bear; being well sanded smooth and bleached when/where necessary. Then we'd work it back up with coat after coat of Valspar varnish. We sanded between each coat with very fine sand paper. Ten [10] coats varnish was not unusual on exterior. Interior was usually held to four coats. End result was mirror finish.

We found by many careful varnish coat applications the interior would last for many years without need for a mild sand and single refresher varnish coat. Exterior would go one and sometimes two years before the mild sand and single coat refresher.

I love the look of well varnished fine wood... who wouldn't!! However... being that I am no longer paid to varnish my boat... I now own a boat with NO exterior varnish and practically no exterior painted wood.

Worth reading: https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/art...gular-varnish/

"Simple is as simple does!"
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
I'm going to paint every square inch of exterior teak wood. I may use some of the viet stuff inside. Anyone here know what is a good paint for outside teak over varnish ??? I have had it with Brightside, I used it on my 42 sailboat and birdshit made it peel. Plus it dulled out in 18 months.
geoleo,
I suspect your prep for the Brightside was poor or lacking in some way. Sanding and cleaning is the drill. You need a solvent that won't harm the undercoat and will remove all oily like contaminants including body oil. Then sanding the whole surface (not just the high spots).
Interlux makes a primer I always use called "PrimeCoat". Medium grey in color. It's fun to brush on as it's smooth and oily feeling.
I have a link downloaded telling all about the Interlux products. What is good for what surface and compatibility with other coatings (Interlux).
It's brand specific but a great guide.
Parks is right per my experience. Brightside is about the best single "pack" coating. Spend a bit of money on your brushes too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #25
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
When one of the big hardware chains went belly up here I bought 8 litres of their "Sherman Williams" self priming exterior gloss acrylic paint and had it tinted to a shade of brown we liked for our rails.
Sanded what was left of the varnish off with 60 grit and rolled in two coats.
Still looks fine after 18mths.
Have 20 litres of white for the cabin that I'll get out soon.

Will still use industrial enamel on the hull.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have been using Brightsides for years. Weíve painted the eye brow and exterior pilot house doors. Eric has it dialed in. Even the touch up is easy if you have a nick. A two part paint is a pia for touch up plus itís harder than a 1 part and can crack over teak as the wood contracts or expands.
Attached Thumbnails
9CBBD27B-32F9-49A9-90A7-8977162A6435.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"I'm going to paint every square inch of exterior teak wood."

Great , but first put a bunch of coats of ANY varnish over the wood.

The next owner may love varnishing , so making the paint easy to strip will be a positive at sales time.

Same concept ,if you want to liven up the usual TT teak coffin style below.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote