Using Spreadsheets for a Logbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrinkel

Vessel Name
Positive Latitude
Vessel Make
Mainship 430
There are a lot of great reasons to keep your logbook on paper, but I've preferred an electronic version for my past several boats. We've waiting for a boat part, a good weather window, and the railroad bridge south of Norfolk to get fixed before heading south. With the time, I had a chance to cleanup our Excel-based ship's logbook for those interested in using it has a template. In my sailboat days I used a boater-specific application for logging, but I like using spreadsheets for customization and control of my data. My Excel workbook template contains worksheets for a Deck Log, Marina and Anchorage Log, Fuel Log, and Pumpout Log. I looked at several different templates before coming up with this one. I added formulas to add up summary info on each sheet, but you can modify for your own use if you are interested in checking it out. I've received feedback that it works fine in Google Sheets and LibreOffice Calc as well.

Here is a link to get it for free to use or modify for your own purposes: https://ourpositivelatitude.com/captains-log-excel-template

Mark Rinkel
ourpositivelatitude.com

Use the computer for a maintenance log but want both a hard copy(paper) and Ethernet copy for the actual log. Your logbook is a legal document. While in transit all non social communications are logged as well. This has served us well. After being anchored for days interacted with local marine police in LeMarin.They didn’t board but just wanted to see the logbook, documentation papers and clearance. Looked at it. Gave it back and left. Think they were concerned with smuggling , a local crime or something. Would have been concerned about handling an electronic device to them and having to explain how to have them get the information they wanted through the language barrier. My French sucks.

I always used an electronic record for keeping track of maintenance and sources for parts with prices etc. It was especially helpful for remembering details related to events such as annual winterizing and spring start-up. Did not use a "potted" format as it was so easy to put my own spreadsheet together.
However, I did draw a big distinction between those activities and our daily cruising log which was our record for miles travelled, destination, location, fuel used/purchased, pump-outs, weather and sea conditions, and any events along the way, etc. I always figured this log, kept in a substantial page-numbered, properly hard-bound book was a semi-legal document that recorded our situation in time. Fortunately, we never needed the log for any court martial event but it still makes good reading years after selling the boat. The maintenance log went with the boat.

Electronic documentation has long since become accepted as legal documents, not in all cases, but in most, probably all. For example, very few businesses today keep hand-written books of original entry. It's all software now, Quickbooks, for example. IRS has accepted electronically-filed tax returns for what, 15 years? So, no sir, hand-written logbooks are not required, preferred by some, but not required. Another example: the Coast Guard requires us to have on board - part of their inspection protocol - a copy of Chart No. 1. It is now acceptable to have a copy handy on a tablet. The world has moved on from paper.
Use the computer for a maintenance log but want both a hard copy(paper) and Ethernet copy for the actual log. Your logbook is a legal document. While in transit all non social communications are logged as well. This has served us well. After being anchored for days interacted with local marine police in LeMarin.They didn’t board but just wanted to see the logbook, documentation papers and clearance. Looked at it. Gave it back and left. Think they were concerned with smuggling , a local crime or something. Would have been concerned about handling an electronic device to them and having to explain how to have them get the information they wanted through the language barrier. My French sucks.

Yep, spreadsheet. MX, Engine hours/ports/distances, fuel.

No com. A log is not a requirement here.

May not be legal requirement but a spreadsheet (travel) log can easily be changed after the fact. A hard bound written document with numbered pages is much more difficult to fabricate.

We use Nebo app in addition to paper log for both travel, fuel and maintenance. The app (with whom I have no affiliation) is nice as you can share your trip with shore crew who can travel vicariously with you and can monitor arrival times. It also sends a monthly log to show you the ROI ;-) on your boating investment.

Doesn't matter. So can a written log. Just rewrite it with different writing implements. Not as easy, but it can be done. And, who hard binds a log book? Where and why would anyone do such a thing?
May not be legal requirement but a spreadsheet (travel) log can easily be changed after the fact. A hard bound written document with numbered pages is much more difficult to fabricate.

Last time I hand wrote anything was in college, 30 years ago. All records kept digitally, all backed up daily or more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom