USCG broadcasts of Mayday and MMSI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember you are required to check your MMSI registration at least every 18 months to be sure the Registration information is still current. If you ever sell or transfer the vessel remember you are required to give the login and password to the new buyer or his agent. Keeping the REGISTRATION current is in all our interests.

Remember you are required to check your MMSI registration at least every 18 months to be sure the Registration information is still current. If you ever sell or transfer the vessel remember you are required to give the login and password to the new buyer or his agent. Keeping the REGISTRATION current is in all our interests.

Nope. And, nope.

PSA: Giving login and password information to a total stranger is a bad idea.

When selling a boat with an MMSI issued by other than the FCC, e.g. BoatUS, contact them to initiate the transfer. This is usually done by logging in to their Web site, an initiating there transfer online.

When selling a boat with an FCC issued MMSI, one should cancel the license, which can be done via the FCC's Web site and then, upon receiving the confirmation of the cancelation, usually by email, the seller can let the the buyer know to request it by filling it into the field on on application vs leaving the field blank.

Or, alternatively, if the seller is uncooperative, the buyer can register a new MMSI, but then needs to program, or have programmed, the radios and associated devices, which can be a pain.

For Non FCC issued domestic MMSI numbers (Boat US or USPS) the requirement is to give the login and password at the time of sale to either the new buyer or his agent, so the new buyer can keep the Registration current. If this isn't done the new buyer is faced with the time and expense of removing the radio and returning it to the manufacturer or his agent to have the MMSI number cleared. There are charges by most for doing this. It also means a new MMsI must be requested and entered.

For Non FCC issued domestic MMSI numbers (Boat US or USPS) the requirement is to give the login and password at the time of sale to either the new buyer or his agent, so the new buyer can keep the Registration current. If this isn't done the new buyer is faced with the time and expense of removing the radio and returning it to the manufacturer or his agent to have the MMSI number cleared. There are charges by most for doing this. It also means a new MMsI must be requested and entered.

So, I forgot about USPS. You are right about them.

The are the only registrar I know that requires you give someone your password.

This is a really bad practice for very obvious reasons, not the least of which is that many people re-use passwords.

BoatUS doesn't do this. The FCC doesn't do this. And, no other registrar I know of does this.

So, although you are right about USPS, my top-level advice is not to use them.

One issue I have seen is the local CG stations speak so quickly that many people can’t understand what they ase saying.

Or they use CG jargon as if they were talking to another CG unit. I once heard a frightened sounding man call the CG and the watchstander told him to "pass your traffic". The boater obviously didn't know what that meant so he didn't respond. He called several times over five or ten minutes with the same result. I finally jumped in and told him to just tell them what he wanted. Turns out he was just out of gas and not in immediate danger, but the miscommunication could have killed him if the situation was more serious.

And......did the guy ask "what do you mean?" or come back with "I am out of gas what do I do?".

Pretty basic communication skills on or off the radio......

True the USCG could do better...but in the big scheme f things.....

Communicating with the Coast Guard

If there is ever a need to have the CG repeat their communication, simply request them to do so. They will switch you to 22A or another working channel and take the time to slowly repeat

Alternatively, call the appropriate CG Sector on the phone and have a conversation. They are happy to have your help.

In NC, call Sector at (910) 343-3880.

Regarding MMSI numbers
If you have adopted a number from a previous owner, that owner can call BoatUS and give it up, then the new owner can have it transferred and registered to their new information.

This is necessary for many radios that cannot be re-programmed without sending back to the manufacturer. Like Garmin.

Yes, lots of people are too lazy or lack the technical skills to update the electronics when they buy a boat. Too bad because it is a great safety feature. One button push for a distress call with location if it is hooked up.

One issue I have seen is the local CG stations speak so quickly that many people can’t understand what they ase saying. I spent 30 years working closely with the CG and tried telling them to slow down and enunciate on the radio. Unfortunately they seem to train to get it out as fast as possible. But if no one can understand it it is pretty useless. And as you get older your hearing isn’t as good and lots of boaters are getting up there in age.

Some VHF can't be updated

Some VHF radios don't allow the owner to update the MMSI, they have to send radio back to factory. That probably never happens.

Back
Top Bottom