Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Travel to Canada right now

An interesting look at how the Canadians view US boaters who do not respect the current travel restrictions in BC PNW.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/02/89816...oss-the-border
Old 08-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
An interesting look at how the Canadians view US boaters who do not respect the current travel restrictions in BC PNW. COVID19

And the USCG pounced on a Canadian whale watch boat that " accidentally"

wondered across the US border watching whales recently.

Both nations are using the Covid to keep others away.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
An interesting look at how the Canadians view US boaters who do not respect the current travel restrictions in BC PNW. COVID19

The article suggests that all American boaters have AIS and that "right now some 30 to 40 American pleasure boats are cruising through British Columbia's pristine waterways.". I know the former statement is far from accurate and I suspect the latter statement is also far from accurate.

I see the traffic passing in front of my home, and I often check the boats out with binoculars. I also spent all of July cruising as far up as the passes above Desolation Sound. I saw 1 boat flying a Canadian courtesy flag from the upper staff and had the national flag on the taffrail covered. I saw 1 US home port displayed on the transom, and as we were then in a busy anchorage, the RCMP boat "Lindsay" turned up and had a chat with the occupants, then left them alone. One of our party swam over and had a chat, where it was learned the only violation being committed was failure to register the vessel in Canada, as it was now owned by a Canadian resident. I saw 1 boat large enough to be mandated to have AIS, and flying a US flag. That boat was not broadcasting his AIS, and one of my acquaintances at that location did call the Coast Guard to report him.
Other than those three, all of the boats whose nationality I was able to identify have been unarguably Canadian.
Others who may have violated the "Alaska bound" loophole have managed to do so without straying across my bows.

However, if I do run across an American boater who is in violation, I will certainly turn him in. I don't agree with allowing our considerable, and successful efforts to flatten our curve to be jeopardized by someone from the US, where that curve is more of a spike. The borders are closed for a good reason.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The article suggests that all American boaters have AIS and that "right now some 30 to 40 American pleasure boats are cruising through British Columbia's pristine waterways.". I know the former statement is far from accurate and I suspect the latter statement is also far from accurate.

I see the traffic passing in front of my home, and I often check the boats out with binoculars. I also spent all of July cruising as far up as the passes above Desolation Sound. I saw 1 boat flying a Canadian courtesy flag from the upper staff and had the national flag on the taffrail covered. I saw 1 US home port displayed on the transom, and as we were then in a busy anchorage, the RCMP boat "Lindsay" turned up and had a chat with the occupants, then left them alone. One of our party swam over and had a chat, where it was learned the only violation being committed was failure to register the vessel in Canada, as it was now owned by a Canadian resident. I saw 1 boat large enough to be mandated to have AIS, and flying a US flag. That boat was not broadcasting his AIS, and one of my acquaintances at that location did call the Coast Guard to report him.
Other than those three, all of the boats whose nationality I was able to identify have been unarguably Canadian.
Others who may have violated the "Alaska bound" loophole have managed to do so without straying across my bows.

However, if I do run across an American boater who is in violation, I will certainly turn him in. I don't agree with allowing our considerable, and successful efforts to flatten our curve to be jeopardized by someone from the US, where that curve is more of a spike. The borders are closed for a good reason.

So, what if it's a US boat that the owners have been North of the border since the shut down. There were some of these folks that posted on this site at the start of this mess.

We anchored next to a boat with Canadian registration south of the border last weekend and I didn't go over and get into his business because..

#1, its none of my business
#2, I dont care.
#3 Nobody is sneaking across the border these days.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I agree w koliver,
Someone that is breaking the law or it’s intent is an outlaw.
And I’ll gladly help roust out any outlaws.
Laws are our friends.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I wrote a letter to the editor that didn't get publish. In the Times Colonist article it was said over 100 American boats have been tracked by AIS. I know this is utter nonsense as I have spent days looking at AIS to see who was in our waters, who was in Desolation, who was in the Broughtons, etc. And I didn't find one American until a couple of days ago. I found one boat broadcasting American in Desolation. But.... there are also a number of American boats permanently moored along our central Vancouver Island area.

And idiot Canadians are going after American plated cars here. Realize there are two military bases on Vancouver Island and both bases have American personnel as do American bases have Canadian personnel. The position of 2IC in charge of the Colorado mountain NORAD headquarters is a permanent Canadian position. My family lived in Madison Wisconsin when my father was a Lt. Colonel (Canadian) at Truax Air Field base back in the 60's when it was the headquarters for the 45th Division NORAD.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
But, Hollywood, they aren’t bringing the virus here as Americans would be bringing it into Canada. 1 in 12 tests here are positive. 1 in 285 tests in Canada are positive. Quite a different. So I don’t blame Canada for shutting us out. We should have done a better job here stopping the virus.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I just transmitted B.C. from Prince Rupert to Washington to get my boat home from Alaska. We saw two U.S. boats during the trip. When we headed out of Queen Charlotte Strait to go south through Chatham Channel and overnight in Port Harvey, we immediately got hailed on 16 and asked if we weren’t wandering off route. When I explained that Johnston’s had blown gale force the night before and our route to Port Harvey to stage for a very early start down Johnston the guy mellowed out and we talked boats for a bit. But, the message was clear, not real welcome. And considering how badly we’ve botched Covid compared to them, I don’t blame them. Canadian Customs were very serious and required we notify them when we left their country. On that call they needed our US Customs clearance number. So, if anybody’s thinking about cheating, I suggest you think again. Pretty soon their going to need to make an example of someone and you don’t want to be the one trying to get your boat back after they seize it!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
If you watch Cruising Sea Venture, they just went from Washington to Alaska, seems fine for just a pass through cruise. At the same time I know folks in Bella Bella that are watching every bay in the area to watch for Americans and Canadians in their territory
Old 08-04-2020, 04:32 AM   #10

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Model: Californian 48 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
And the USCG pounced on a Canadian whale watch boat that " accidentally"

wondered across the US border watching whales recently.

Both nations are using the Covid to keep others away.

HOLLYWOOD
I've only heard of a US boat out of Friday harbor that was fined $1000 for crossing over into Canada. Was this another one?
Old 08-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Four things are occurring:

First, US flagged vessels engaged in a commercial business are indeed passing through BC on their way to AK. Unless doing a non stop, these travels are approved after a visit by Canadian Customs at a POE such as Sidney. I personally know of several that fit in this category.

Secondly, hundreds of US flagged pleasure craft are virus stranded in BC as this is where they are berthed for a variety of reasons. These vessels are routinely exercised by BC boat watchers with in many cases AIS on.

Third, a US flagged vessel can stray across the line in San Juan Island locations provided the vessel does not land or set anchor. These areas would primarily be Straits of Juan de Fuca, Haro Strait or Dixon Entrance and usually involve adherence to shipping lanes for safety purposes.

Fourth, many US boats berthed in BC are being moved to Washinton by a Canadian crew for further movement to points south.

Canadian Customs are well aware of the variety of US flagged vessels legitimately moving through and in BC waters. I've talked with them regarding our vessel moored in Sidney. Simple, pleasant and no nonsense conversations ensued.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #12

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Model: Californian 48 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Four things are occurring:

Third, a US flagged vessel can stray across the line in San Juan Island locations provided the vessel does not land or set anchor. These areas would primarily be Straits of Juan de Fuca, Haro Strait or Dixon Entrance and usually involve adherence to shipping lanes for safety purposes.
Not saying you're wrong, but if your third point is true, why did this happen?

https://sanjuanislander.com/news-art...-boat-fined-1k
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Third, a US flagged vessel can stray across the line in San Juan Island locations provided the vessel does not land or set anchor. These areas would primarily be Straits of Juan de Fuca, Haro Strait or Dixon Entrance and usually involve adherence to shipping lanes for safety purposes
One small correction: Current Canadian Federal Law/Regulations, supersede your third point. Any entry to Canadian waters for non-essential travel, which includes strays, is prohibited.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...ns-eng.html#s5
Information for foreign boaters
Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:
• touring
• sightseeing
• pleasure fishing
Consult Entry restrictions for more information.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...pb-pp-eng.html
Attached Thumbnails
C-19.jpg  
Old 08-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I know this is utter nonsense as I have spent days looking at AIS to see who was in our waters, who was in Desolation, who was in the Broughtons, etc. And I didn't find one American until a couple of days ago.
Two flaws with the amateur AIS, "I'm watching" scenario are; probably less than about 25% of private vessels have AIS and they are not required to transmit.

Not so much now, but in May, Port McNeill saw a lot of US boats not showing on your typical, free vessel tracking app. and many displayed no flags.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnad2 View Post
I've only heard of a US boat out of Friday harbor that was fined $1000 for crossing over into Canada. Was this another one?
A Prince of Whales vessel from Victoria, was well over the international boundary, into US waters, when asked to leave.

I'm not certain, but based on their location at the time, I suspect they were viewing southern resident killer whales which are off limits in BC.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
One small correction: Current Canadian Federal Law/Regulations, supersede your third point. Any entry to Canadian waters for non-essential travel, which includes strays, is prohibited.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...ns-eng.html#s5
Information for foreign boaters
Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:
• touring
• sightseeing
• pleasure fishing
Consult Entry restrictions for more information.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...pb-pp-eng.html
Actually my point was safety. On a foggy wet day following the shipping lanes is indeed OK by both jurisdictions and requested by traffic control if you're in that category. Dodging 20 knot tankers and freighters when cruising IFR is much safer when in the regulated traffic lanes.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
A Prince of Whales vessel from Victoria, was well over the international boundary, into US waters, when asked to leave.

I'm not certain, but based on their location at the time, I suspect they were viewing southern resident killer whales which are off limits in BC.
A common request even in non COVID times.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1984 Ponderosa 48 CPMY
I have a friend cruising in Desolation Sound right now..dual citizenship. The hailing port on the the transom or AIS transmission is not an iron-clad reliable indicator. That being said, I'm pretty sure not every American flagged boat is owned by a dual citizenship captain.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Actually my point was safety. On a foggy wet day following the shipping lanes is indeed OK by both jurisdictions and requested by traffic control if you're in that category. Dodging 20 knot tankers and freighters when cruising IFR is much safer when in the regulated traffic lanes.
Ok, thanks for that clarification. I read point three as a broad, general statement, covering any straying of both N & S borders.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
A common request even in non COVID times.
For decades since whale watching began in BC and WA, tour operators have enjoyed hassle free border crossings; WA boats up into Georgia Strait and CA vessels into Puget Sound.

Last summer’s grounding of a Canadian tour boat on Smith Island, brought negative attention to these long standing practices.

This year, prior to the end of June, BC operators sat at the dock while boats from Friday Harbour and Port Angeles, visited from Race Rocks to Roberts Bank.

Only since the restart of BC whale watching on July 1, and the border closure, have both sides been more sensitive and reactionary, to the issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
boaters, covid19, restrictions, yacht