Travel to Canada right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss spending money visiting foreign locations, enjoying their charms.

Well, there's always the question of whether it's the person or the money attracting said charms.

This is a great opportunity to (re)discover our own backyards. There has to be something in California for you to enjoy?

Lots to see here :thumb:

Last edited:
Both nations are using the Covid to keep others away.

HOLLYWOOD

I wouldn't say Canada is using Covid to keep others away. They are using the standard procedures required during a pandemic to minimise the number of deaths.

If you have unrestricted movement of people, it makes it extremely difficult to do contact tracing. Without effective contact tracing, Canada would be in a similar position to the USA.

I wouldn't say Canada is using Covid to keep others away. They are using the standard procedures required during a pandemic to minimise the number of deaths.

I agree. I don't think either country benefits from keeping the other one out (if there were not COVID happening). What would be the "other reason" that they are hiding by using COVID as an excuse? When have they or we wanted a "fake" reason to do so? I think our being able to travel freely back and forth is a benefit to both countries and their citizens (in normal times), and we would all rather it be allowed.

So it seems clear to me the reason is Covid. And that reason I completely understand and support (much as I would love to be in BC cruising right now).

Last edited:
How do you honest US TFers feel about liars like this?
Does the silence mean there aren't any, or they're just hiding?
Doesn't NW Explorations have an office in Sidney?
In fact, isn't NWE Canadian owned? If so, double shame on them.
This should not go unchallenged.

Does the silence mean there aren't any, or they're just hiding?
Doesn't NW Explorations have an office in Sidney?
In fact, isn't NWE Canadian owned? If so, double shame on them.
This should not go unchallenged.

Last paragraph, post #28

Those were the same charter boats from NW Explorations that left Bellingham in the middle of June heading to Alaska:mad::mad::mad:

Deception (ironically!)
Thea
Navigator
Arctic Star

From the NWE website:
All part of the NW Explorations charter fleet, available for flotilla vacations. Thea shows on their upcoming Desolation Sound flotilla charter to Desolation Sound in Sept.

They have a blog: 2020 Alaska Flotilla: Leg 5: Day 9: Meyers Chuck to Naha Bay | NW Explorations, confirming the nature of their trip to be 100% tourism.

How did this pass the smell test when they crossed from Bellingham into BC?
Alaska has its own restrictions, which, at the time these boats crossed from BC into Alaska, included a 14 day isolation requirement (since relaxed a bit), so how did they manage that?

I have a friend cruising in Desolation Sound right now..dual citizenship. The hailing port on the the transom or AIS transmission is not an iron-clad reliable indicator. That being said, I'm pretty sure not every American flagged boat is owned by a dual citizenship captain.

I think Canadians are required to quarentine 14 days re-entering Canada so I don’t see how dual citizenship would get around that.
But that may not be the case. It’s very fluid.

But the “Alaska Flotilla” should be arrested by Canada In Canada lMO.

Last edited:
Is it possible that these are American flagged vessels stuck in Canada and chartered to Canadians? There are several TF members here keeping their vessels in Canada (vice versa) and unable to access same.
I missed any reference to crossing the border.

I am sure they followed the rules entering Canada in both directions. Weather they abused the limitations of their transit, I don’t know. Fuel stops, anchoring stops, and I think provisioning and even hotel stays are allowed. So what rules were broken by them?
In June in Alaska, A 14 day quarantine was in effect, but you could satisfy that, staying on boat and traveling. So going from Meyers to Naha again seems Ok to me.

I missed any reference to crossing the border.

See Mike's post:
"Those were the same charter boats from NW Explorations that left Bellingham in the middle of June heading to Alaska"

I am sure they followed the rules entering Canada in both directions. Weather they abused the limitations of their transit, I don’t know. Fuel stops, anchoring stops, and I think provisioning and even hotel stays are allowed. So what rules were broken by them?
In June in Alaska, A 14 day quarantine was in effect, but you could satisfy that, staying on boat and traveling. So going from Meyers to Naha again seems Ok to me.

Not my quibble.

Here it is: The "Alaska exception" is only available for "Essential travel", ie, getting to your state of residence. Tourism gets all cars turned around at the border, so equal application of the rule would get all boats not on essential travel turned around. In order to pass, these must have convinced the CBS they were essential. Now we see that was not true.

See Mike's post:
"Those were the same charter boats from NW Explorations that left Bellingham in the middle of June heading to Alaska"
I get that, just eliminating possibilities. The blog referenced, could not get a start/end. Smell test was mentioned. If the same crews went both ways then that is a major breach, but if only the boats went both ways with different crews, maybe that is how they got around it. OR there is a big loophole.
Spoke to an RCMP marine guy who said they are not directly involved in checking vessels. He may have meant his unit.
I said in another post the many vessels without Flags displayed on Canada Day.
Yet their 13K or variation were Canadian. Foreign owned? or are boaters getting that cheap to not fly the flag.

I agree that the essential travel rule that was in place, does not seem to be being followed.
I asked myself why Sea Venture was allowed passage and the boat traveling with it Alpenglow.
If the rule is still in place, the powers that be, should enforce it. It seems to me if you show up at Canada customs, to transit to or from Alaska as expeditiously as possible, you will be allowed entry.

Also, So, I don’t know if they followed the rules after entry, only that they showed up and were granted entry.

At least three more southbound, south of Namu; Haiku, Shearwater and Si Senora which was in McNeill northbound back in May or June.

There’s always gonna be cheaters.
Inn this case w the two countries involved I’d rather see it clearly stated and then enforce it. Both countries could/should provide enforcement. IMO

There’s always gonna be cheaters.

Agree, but somehow it seems worse when it's a NW company promoting it (openly!) vs, a rogue individual. I only read a short bit into that linked blog but it read like any pleasure cruise and not like "essential travel."

Looks like there are still open slots for the Desolation cruise next month...

Agree, but somehow it seems worse when it's a NW company promoting it (openly!) vs, a rogue individual. I only read a short bit into that linked blog but it read like any pleasure cruise and not like "essential travel."
Looks like there are still open slots for the Desolation cruise next month...
Every WA boater, who has been told they can't come up here, should be calling BS on NW Explorations.
ASD, where's your indignation now?

They also have an office at Canoe Cove Vancouver Island, maybe that is where their Desolation cruise starts. Why be indignant towards somebody who was able to work within the regs to pull off a cruise to AK. You should be po’d at either the rules or how they are enforced. I think the CBSA has a # to call if you observe violators.

Well after reading all this about my only comment is bulls.t. You guys need to get a life. Or take your boat off the dock, position yourself at the border and tattle on passing boats.

Ya, well, we earned our low numbers and want to keep them low.

Like I said earlier...imagine if Mexico and Canada had 43 times the cases of the USA...would you be waving hello to us coming across your border?

Last edited:
Well after reading all this about my only comment is bulls.t. You guys need to get a life. Or take your boat off the dock, position yourself at the border and tattle on passing boats.

Don't you mean Bull S..t?

I live in a county that has had only 54 cases since testing started and I don't stand on the dock and sneer at every boat that comes into the bay.

Obviously the US flagged boats have figured a legal work around to be in BC.

We had the same kind of thing happening when our Governor stopped work, Some nosy neighbors turned construction workers and gardeners when there was only 1 person working.. total social distancing ..but some folks got pissed someone else had figured out how to make it work.

HOLLYWOOD

I live in a county that has had only 54 cases since testing started and I don't stand on the dock and sneer at every boat that comes into the bay.

Your frame of reference may be skewed and lacking empathy.

Imagine the country south of you had 10 times your population and 43 times your Covid cases (which would be 223,576,092 cases) and they were 'working the system' to holiday in your country, stopping in small towns far from hospitals.

Can you understand it a wee bit now?

I thought you woul be some pissed over this. You have been forced to put your 2020 AK trip on the shelf, until who knows when and others are just going merrily up the coast and back.
Shucks, maybe if you had known, you could have played "tender to" one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom