Is there such a thing as aluminum trawler 46-ish length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is Deep Water a make of boat?

Thanks for replying. I can't find that make, unfortunately.

Try Rozema Boat Works in Mt. Vernon, WA. They have a few based on fishing hulls.

Thanks. I have a Metalcraft Kingfisher and love it but I'm looking for something wider and taller. Thanks so much, however, for the assistance! Rozema looks great but I can't find any used ones. They look like they'd be out of my price range anyway. Perhaps a diesel Marinette would work though they're not technically trawlers.

I really appreciate your posts!

I think the US Coast Guard is phasing out their 47' aluminum MLBs. I often thought it would be fun to buy one and make a cruiser out of it.

Of course the reality is that those things had a pretty rough life, and might not be in tip-top shape when the government finally unloads them.

Thanks!

I wonder where and how one can bid on them. I'll Google it. And what the inside of those boats looks like. They would be fun to have!

I bought my Metalcraft years ago from the Canadian government in an auction. We picked it up at the Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territory.

I thought I had some pictures of the interior of a 47, but I can't find them. It's surprisingly spacious and well laid out. I'd say almost comfortable. The hull is light for its size, with shallow deadrise, so the ride is a bit odd. A bit rolly. Probably somewhat louder than you'd want for a cruiser. But overall a good platform. I wouldn't refuse one if it were given to me. I'd want someone who knows about aluminum corrosion to survey it, and of course a full mechanical survey on the engines. As I said, they had a hard life and it seemed they were always in the shop for engine work.

aluminum trawlers

https://archive.jsonline.com/busine...from-marinette-marine-3n458p8-139102479.html/

If you cut and paste the above link, it will take you to an article with information about the last contract Marinette had with the coast guard for the 45' aluminum boats, which was in 2012. ( I used to work for another division of the company that owned Marinette at the time.)

A yard in Alabama also built a lot of them around that same time.

A lot of them got built, so I would think you could find one for sale somewhere.

Good luck!

...an article with information about the last contract Marinette had with the coast guard for the 45' aluminum boats, which was in 2012...

Yeah, but the 45's wouldn't make nearly as good cruising platforms as the 47's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom