Taiwan Trawlers source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello. I am new to this Forum but now that I am a proud Trawler owner & First Mate, I want experienced & nautical advice & direction if need be. My Captain & I purchased a 1980 Marine Trader Europa 2 years ago. The original (!) a/c has died. What would be best option to replace; not used often but would like if needed.

For further research on CHB and other Taiwan boats see these links:

https://www.yachtall.com/en/boat-builders-shipyards/taiwan

https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2016/08/navigating-rough-waters-taiwans-yacht-industry/

http://onboardislandtime.com/venerable_taiwanese_trawlers.pdf
I add that one of the people interviewed for this article repeats that scurillious statement that “all CHB’s are bow heavy”. I first read this in 1985 when I was contemplating the purchase of the CHB.

I had a 45 and put over 1,000 lbs. of lead in the BOW to get it down. Further, of all the CHB’s that I saw over 25 years none were bow heavy. YMMV.
In my boat, whoever did the 12v system did a beautiful job, not so with the engine wiring harness and gauges. The 120v system was done correctly as well.
I understand that many hulls were built by one co and then sent to another for engine and another for carpentry etc!

Hello. I am new to this Forum but now that I am a proud Trawler owner & First Mate, I want experienced & nautical advice & direction if need be. My Captain & I purchased a 1980 Marine Trader Europa 2 years ago. The original (!) a/c has died. What would be best option to replace; not used often but would like if needed.
Welcome aboard! You should make this it’s own thread under general maintenance or maintenance and systems forums.

Welcome aboard.

Does anyone know if the Senator Trawler was built in the Taiwan yards? I'm looking at a 1985. I haven't been able to confirm where these boats were built! Thanks for any info regarding Senator trawlers.

Welcome aboard. I believe they were built at CHB yards in Taiwan but am not absolutely positive.

You may find this article by Bob Lane helps a little with your question. I haven't seen anything that would cast doubt on what Bob wrote in 1998.

"And now.... we know the rest of the story."

An interesting article ...... passing hull mold around between builders

Brochure on my Marine Trader 41

I noticed a sister vessel to my boat was for sale and the broker had the original brochure that came with the vessel. I contacted the broker and he kindly sent a copy of the brochure to me.

My vessel is identical to a Defever 42 and is in fact 42 feet LOA. Although my yacht club says it is 45 feet because of the Dingy I have on a Seawise system on my aft end.

One thing I have never found was the manufactures VIN number. The only place I haven't looked is behind the swim grid. I have never had the swim grid off.

I have included a copy of the brochure as a series of attachments to this post.

You should be able to download these pictures and read the text.

Although the vessel was sold to me as a Marine Trader, the documentation of the vessel on the ships registry at Transport Canada states it was built by Miracle Marine in Taiwan. The little card on the front of the brochure gives the address of the builder.

Attachments

• Front page brochure.jpg
    Front page brochure.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
  • page 2 brochure copy.jpg
    page 2 brochure copy.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 30
  • page  3 brochure copy.jpg
    page 3 brochure copy.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 30
  • page 4 brochure.jpg
    page 4 brochure.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Try looking for Defever 41. It’s also exactly that boat.
The HIN on my Monk is below the swim platform but above the waterline. Maybe 2 inches of gap there and not easily readable unless the boat is out of the water.

Last edited:
Try looking for Defever 41. It’s also exactly that boat.
The HIN on my Monk is below the swim platform but above the waterline. Maybe 2 inches of gap there and not easily readable unless the boat is out of the water.

Supposedly all boats have the HIN in 2 places, one is secret. In my case, the 'secret' is behind the fridge, shhhhh, don't tell anyone, it's a 'secret'.

Supposedly all boats have the HIN in 2 places, one is secret. In my case, the 'secret' is behind the fridge, shhhhh, don't tell anyone, it's a 'secret'.
Mine is on the stern and beam in the ER.

Try looking just beneath the cap rail on the stern ,the right side.

Transom.

CCC

Back
Top Bottom