Step Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
I am so used to the deck of a sailboat being so close to the water line.. When cruising, what does one carry along to make stepping from a trawlers deck to a dock less of a task. It seems to me carrying steps would take up a lot of storage.
Thank You
Alfonse

stows behind steps to the FB.

Attachments

• IMG-1954.jpg
    IMG-1954.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 51
3 step Todd poly with handrail....

Most anyone can use them, store easily for me and provide out of the weather storage for dingy gas, etc either on after deck underway or on dock.

Attachments

• 938.jpg
    938.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
We have a 5 step ladder that attaches to brackets that are mounted on each side of the sundeck. When not is use it folds flat and stores pretty easily. At our home dock we have steps that I built on the dock. I have a lanyard that we hook onto a handrail so when it comes off the brackets it doesn’t float to the bottom. Everything floats, some things float on top of the water, some things float on the bottom...

Attachments

• 24D40F34-7A45-442C-8056-DB994542AA73.jpg
    24D40F34-7A45-442C-8056-DB994542AA73.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 46
I have been in places where ladders that hang between a boat and a dock last a couple days at best due to wakes.

I built 2 and they were repaired constantly till death do us part.

If you kept the boat any further away, using the steps by anyone bit the agile was difficult.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, couple of wood 6 inch pine? Length, to be determine. Rail, if necessary.
Put a couple of casters on the dock end, if you wish.

I have been in places where ladders that hang between a boat and a dock last a couple days at best due to wakes.

I built 2 and they were repaired constantly till death do us part.

If you kept the boat any further away, using the steps by anyone bit the agile was difficult.

We have had these for 5 years now and they were on the boat when we bought the boat. So they have lasted fine. The only issue is if you leave them unattended they sometimes come loose from the brackets and the ladder would fall into the water, hence the safety strap.

I had a 2 step poly. Alas, someone needed it more than me. I even wrote the name of my boat on it. I had a short piece of line from a couple of hole I drilled, going to a cleat.

We have had these for 5 years now and they were on the boat when we bought the boat. So they have lasted fine. The only issue is if you leave them unattended they sometimes come loose from the brackets and the ladder would fall into the water, hence the safety strap.

OK, so you haven't been to the same places at me that have wave action that would eat up those kinds of steps. Sure you can do things to help, but they weren't convenient for me.

Wen mine popped up, they would get pounded on the dock or crushed between the boat and the dock....plus it was the best location for fenders.

So I found a suitable alternative

Just a warning to those that may choose that design...I loved mine ....but didn't want to rebuild all the time.

Last edited:
I have been to areas that have wave action. We have never had waves knock them off. We put out fenders to keep the boat off the dock so that the steps don’t get caught between the boat and the dock. Our fenders do not go where the steps go, I am not sure how that location could be the best location for fenders. I personally don’t want to have to climb down over a fender so we locate our fenders where the steps are not. I have never had to repair the steps, just polished the aluminum rails.

We have three boarding "levels" available on our boat. Rail gates at two different deck positions plus the swim platform. See photo below.

This allows most boarding situations to be accounted for.

In cases where the finger is too short for one or more positions, we use one of these:

Fender2Step Link

Which doubles as both a step and a fender.

thumb

Attachments

• DeckLevels.jpg
    DeckLevels.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 25
As they say... " shi* happens". I just happen to have had slips that make yours look peaceful.

Not knowing that the place on my boat for fenders....at a marina with docks/fingers you have never been..... really? And you want to argue about it with a guy that drove assistance boats for 15 years tying all kinds of boats up in all kinds of places?

Done......

Ok, I know that you have a ton of experience, but how do you know that my slips are peaceful? I agree that I don’t know what your slips look like but why would you want to hang a fender at the gate where the ladder is? That makes no sense to have to climb down over a fender. I also have done many years of doing assistance on the water and tying boats in all kinds of slips. But I do understand that your experience is more than anyone else's so I will let this go. You are correct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom