Steel Hull Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kickback

Veteran Member
Hello All
New to this forum group. I'm in the process of buying a Steel Hull Trawler. Our last boat was Fiberglass and when looking in the engine room of this Trawler I Noticed that there were not the Bonding wires as in the Fiberglass Boat. I assumed that it was because it was a steel Hull,, but have not found a definitive Answer to that. Also I found no Galvanic isolator and only one zinc on the rudder and one on the bow thruster.
Any and all advise to this would be appreciated
Thank You.
Jerry.

With a steel hull you are automatically bonded. The entire hull is a conductor. Same with lightning grounds not necessary with a steel hull. Things get lot simpler with steel and aluminum in more ways than one

Rick

+1. I have a steel hull and there is no bonding needed. As for zincs, yes, you need them and the boat you mention seems a bit light on zincs. IMO you can't have enough!

Rick
No Galvanic Isolator needed also.. Should there be more then the one zinc on rudder and on bow thurster.
Thank
Jerry

Yes I forgot to address the isolator and zincs. It does sound light on zincs but there are formulas for lbs per foot. You can though have too much zinc in fact you can create a battery with too much and burn the paint.

Rick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom