Starlink update?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben

Guru
Vessel Name
Silver Lining
Vessel Make
Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Hi all,
I’ve pre-ordered Starlink for home, but wondering if anyone here has put on their boat?

I searched before I wrote this and several posts researching in March, but not much since. Anyone with live, real Starlink ownership experience on or off the boat?

It could be me once I can go from pre-order to order…
Thanks

There are similar comments out there like Technomadia says. Too many issues at this time, but perhaps a future?

I'm in the shopping mode for a good solution and hopefully find something by the end of the year. Currently using a mobile hotspot (need unlimited data) and using that which, for boating, works pretty well, but a tad slow at time. However, streaming movies has not been an issue.

Here's a very recent update from a guy who follows this stuff

That was helpful. :thumb:

We were supposed to get our StarLink in June. :socool: But did not. :nonono: Which should not be a surprise with the chip shortage. The video confirmed chips are a problem.

100,000 users with 600,000 in line was interesting too.

Thank you,
Dan

I have Starlink on my boat. I was in the first group. Unless something's changed you're limited to a specific area. Supposed to be unlimited area in the future. Not sure where the limit is. It runs on 120V Ac, so you either have to have an inverter or generator.

Mine works fine. Much better than prior wireless internet or satellite internet. Download speed, going thru a VPN, is about 200mbps and up about 50mbps. I've seen speeds above 300mbps. Big waves will cause the signal to be reacquired. Sharp turns, not so bad. You can connect either wireless or wired. I'm not an expert, but wireless I only reached 15-18mbps. Even at 15-18mbps, it was faster than my wireless internet. Plugged in a cable and the speed jumped to over 300.

I have Starlink on my boat. I was in the first group. Unless something's changed you're limited to a specific area. Supposed to be unlimited area in the future. Not sure where the limit is. It runs on 120V Ac, so you either have to have an inverter or generator.

Mine works fine. Much better than prior wireless internet or satellite internet. Download speed, going thru a VPN, is about 200mbps and up about 50mbps. I've seen speeds above 300mbps. Big waves will cause the signal to be reacquired. Sharp turns, not so bad. You can connect either wireless or wired. I'm not an expert, but wireless I only reached 15-18mbps. Even at 15-18mbps, it was faster than my wireless internet. Plugged in a cable and the speed jumped to over 300.
To be clear, are you using Starlink while underway?

OK, stupid question. What is Starlink?

Starlilnk is a satelite internet service, started by Musk. I had to look it up again, but remember seeing it months ago. Overall, the concept looks great, but far from primetime for now.

However, will be interested to hear Lepkes experiene. Seems like if you use it just locally, it could be fine.

And bet that's the wave of the future.

Following.

Musk has a horrendous history of meeting headlines but this sounds like a good option when it arrives

That was helpful. :thumb:

We were supposed to get our StarLink in June. :socool: But did not. :nonono: Which should not be a surprise with the chip shortage. The video confirmed chips are a problem.

100,000 users with 600,000 in line was interesting too.

Thank you,
Dan

My semi-informed guess is ship availability in about 2025. Until then, its the KVH V30.

My semi-informed guess is ship availability in about 2025. Until then, its the KVH V30.

I have a KVH V30 and absolutely love the quality of the service.

I am not a fan of the airtime costs, but I expect those to go down as competition dictates what the market will bear for price.

I have a KVH V30 and absolutely love the quality of the service.

I am not a fan of the airtime costs, but I expect those to go down as competition dictates what the market will bear for price.

Am I correctly seeing antenna prices above $10k? Wow

The link video described a slowdown or halt of launches for awhile, yet other articles said SpaceX took a launch break in Aug to build or upgrade existing to the laser talk to each other satellites.

The space launch schedule has them maybe resuming in Sept/Oct with like 9 launches scheduled.

I think we would have had our Starlink in the June timeframe if it was not for the chip shortage. I have seen Starlink's in my area so I know the network is available to us but everyone is suffering from the lack of chips.

The empty space at the car dealers is shocking.

My guess is that we will get our StarLink late this year or early next year but it will depend on how fast the chip fabs can catch up. I ordered sorta early but should have ordered earlier. :banghead:

Later,
Dan

If you want to look at an interesting presentation look at Starlink.sx. If you set a terminal location it will show satellites visible, primary satellite in use, and the gateway that satellite is using. Don’t try it on a phone or tablet.

Tom

Am I correctly seeing antenna prices above $10k? Wow

correct.

Any of the motor controlled satcom solutions have hardware costs that are pretty significant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom