So... Roman Shades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Yes, No?

Attachments

• Boat Blinds.jpg
    Boat Blinds.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 94
Not our boat, but we are thinking of putting them in to replace the tired wooden Venetian blinds.
Not my cup of tea....I prefer the wooded blinds.:popcorn:

Not our boat, but we are thinking of putting them in to replace the tired wooden Venetian blinds.
Really need to see the whole cabin,that one has multiple styles of decoration, even a "Napoleon hat" clock. Harder to clean than venetians but no risk of rattles.
(I`ve seen actual venetian blinds in... yes, Venice.)

Really need to see the whole cabin,that one has multiple styles of decoration, even a "Napoleon hat" clock. Harder to clean than venetians but no risk of rattles.
(I`ve seen actual venetian blinds in... yes, Venice.)

Boat on YachtWorld so probably staged.

We are not considering material that "fluffy." more flat.

I think they are called "Roman blinds". In a flat fabric a good idea. But I expect Mrs.M will choose.

We have the stringless, double cell type blinds. Can raise from bottom or lower from top.
Good insulation too.

We had them, courtesy of a PO, throughout our old Hatteras and they are terrific. Far prefer them over noisy, non-insulating wooden louvers or funky draw-tight curtains.

We have Roman “whatever” our 4788. Much better than the crappy rusted metal mini blinds. However If I had the funds, or a different boat I’d do wood Venetian blinds. With Romans it’s all or nothing. With blinds you can adjust from full open (blinds raised) to full closed (down and tilted). The photo looks great, but photos of boats with wood slats or various other blind type options also look good and IMHO offer more light control.

I guess it depends on where you are boating and how often you are at a dock.

Not my choice, seem to overpowering, but much better than the wood blinds. Really hate the clatter of my wood ones, and they're dust magnets. Still considering options for my boat.

Ted

Current trawler came “Roman” shades, when lowered they have 0 folds. No dusty noisy slat blinds.

I have removed Velcro at top, hooks in curtains, tossed in washing machine... easy for this non decorator.....

Agree that those particular Roman shades dominate the room. We’re also thinking of replacing the wooden slats but haven’t found anything we like better yet. As for dust, we installed a refurbished Dyson in the closet. Perfect for a boat.

Attachments

• 77EC2983-CE30-4513-A544-598E653749BD.jpg
    77EC2983-CE30-4513-A544-598E653749BD.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 28
Not for me.

P.O. had some nice cloth window coverings which looked pretty good. Once they got dirty, dusty or crusty, forget about it.

I now have cheap, plastic mini blinds. They change color as they age, clatter, break, etc.

They are better than nothing but I am still looking for the perfect window covering.

How about some ideas and pictures from T.F.ers. Please include cost estimates and where to buy info.

pete

Not for me. Most likely my choice isn’t for you either. I’ve moved from Venetian blinds to the cellular blinds. For us the cellular do a better job of keeping the light out and they look better than Venetian blinds. I do think the Roman blinds are an improvement over the Venetian blinds.

We have metal slat venetian mini-blinds. The thing I like best about them is I can adjust the slant to allow whatever light/view I want. With fabric covered shades the OP showed in that photo you're either totally closed or totally open if you want to see what's going on around you while you're cruising. When they're open they don't keep the sun out at all.

We also have the narrow metal mini-blinds. We originally thought of replacing them with something more 'modern' but almost nothing offers the versatility. We can adjsut the blinds to keep direct sun out but still see out the windows. Our old boat we had to close the drapes to keep the sun out, especially late in the day, then you couldn't see anything. So we're sticking with the mini venetians for now, even if they are dated.:)

I once saw a cellular type blind aboard a sportfisher which was normally kept lowered. There was a second set of cords with which one could change the view from opaque to pretty easy to see what was going on outside.

Back
Top Bottom