Show Us Your Windlass/Capstan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
The other thread on windlass use and the different ones we have got me thinking. Of all the "show me" threads on here I have not seen one showing windlasses/capstans.

Here's ours. Maxwell 3500 HWC, dual gypsy and line capstans.

Attachments

• P1000100.JPG
    P1000100.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 85
Very nice set up menzies .

Here is mine. Covered and uncovered.

Attachments

• IMG_8703.jpg
    IMG_8703.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8704.jpg
    IMG_8704.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 79
Here is mine. Covered and uncovered.

Neat, single vertical version of mine! One thing I like about these is the ease of tightening and loosening the clutch.

Do you still have the manual retrieval bar?

Neat, single vertical version of mine! One thing I like about these is the ease of tightening and loosening the clutch.

Do you still have the manual retrieval bar?

I agree. They are nice and smooth too.

Do you mean this stick?

Attachments

• IMG_8705.jpg
    IMG_8705.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
Here's my Maxwell HRC10-8.

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_131220.jpg
    IMG_20200523_131220.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 77
menzies , You’re not supposed to post the nicest one first. We need to work our way up. Here’s my old Simpson Lawrence Seatiger 555. Now the thread can only get better from here.

Attachments

• 48E79A41-0E5B-453F-86B3-47CFDBF49E5A.jpg
    48E79A41-0E5B-453F-86B3-47CFDBF49E5A.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 65
winch

Here is mine, power up only. Kick the anchor over, control fall with the brake (hand wheel)

Attachments

• unnamed[1] (2).jpg
    unnamed[1] (2).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 67
I agree. They are nice and smooth too.

Do you mean this stick?

This is mine, it has the fitting on the bottom that allows you to crank against the gypsy without taking the handle out. There wasn't one on board when we got the boat and they cost over $300 from suppliers. I watched eBay for one and finally one popped up for under $100.

Sian has practiced raising the anchor dry weight from the water and could do it easily enough.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 54
Power up, no kick over on free fall, controlled by brakes, from anchor nest.
This one handles 300' per side of 1/2" short link terminating in these SHHP Euro anchors on each side that I am estimating to be around 150#.

Klee Wyck has a much more conventional set up: Lofrans Tigres horizontal on 400' of 3/8 HT chain terminating in 145# Forfjord.

Attachments

• Boy Boat Deck Gear (2).jpg
    Boy Boat Deck Gear (2).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Libra anchor nests.jpg
    Libra anchor nests.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
What do those "L" bars do?

What do those "L" bars do?

Menzies, if you are referring to the L handles on Libra's windlass, those are to set or release the clutch/brakes on either side. They have locking collars separate from these brakes that engage the gear (or not) outboard and then these handles to clutch/brake lock up or down and to control rate of descent when deploying.
Did I explain that in an understandable way? I love this set up but it is not conventional at all. I had to stand and stare at it a long time, many times to get a grip on it. Now I adore it. Two speed gears, neither fast, but lots of power and feasible to manually raise a large anchor on 1/2" chain in the case of electrical failure. Hoping never to see that day though, of course.

menzies , You’re not supposed to post the nicest one first. We need to work our way up. Here’s my old Simpson Lawrence Seatiger 555. Now the thread can only get better from here.

I raise you a seized Seatiger 555. Look how messed up the configuration is. I've spent months trying to reconfigure this forward of the sampson post with an Ideal CWM.

Attachments

• s.tiger.jpg
    s.tiger.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 51
Here is our Lofrans Tigres..........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• windlass.jpg
    windlass.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 54
Menzies, if you are referring to the L handles on Libra's windlass, those are to set or release the clutch/brakes on either side. They have locking collars separate from these brakes that engage the gear (or not) outboard and then these handles to clutch/brake lock up or down and to control rate of descent when deploying.
Did I explain that in an understandable way? I love this set up but it is not conventional at all. I had to stand and stare at it a long time, many times to get a grip on it. Now I adore it. Two speed gears, neither fast, but lots of power and feasible to manually raise a large anchor on 1/2" chain in the case of electrical failure. Hoping never to see that day though, of course.

It looked like the three spoke wheels on the outside of each side, one with the straight wrench on it, were for the clutches?

I raise you a seized Seatiger 555. Look how messed up the configuration is. I've spent months trying to reconfigure this forward of the sampson post with an Ideal CWM.

So did they have the chain first running aft from the hawse to the gypsy, then forward?

Old pic taken before we actually owned her but a Maxwell 3500 as well on a massive S/S plate
Sampson post has since been epoxy filled and painted
Plough was replaced with 150lb Manson Supreme
Got rid of the yum cha s/s swivel
Deck was replaced and got rid of the foot switches.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_15722916554857361.jpg
    FB_IMG_15722916554857361.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 49
Old pic taken before we actually owned her but a Maxwell 3500 as well on a massive S/S plate
Sampson post has since been epoxy filled and painted
Plough was replaced with 150lb Manson Supreme
Got rid of the yum cha s/s swivel
Deck was replaced and got rid of the foot switches.

Sian loves the foot switches. My only issue with them is that they are forward of the windlass. Not really an issue with the chain but can be an issue when deploying the snubber which initially lies on the deck.

Sian loves the foot switches. My only issue with them is that they are forward of the windlass. Not really an issue with the chain but can be an issue when deploying the snubber which initially lies on the deck.

Yeah, I couldn't reach ours at all when putting out the snubber forcing it to be a 2 person job.

Cheap eBay 2 for $20 remote and problem sorted.

Yeah, I couldn't reach ours at all when putting out the snubber forcing it to be a 2 person job.

Cheap eBay 2 for $20 remote and problem sorted.

Can you share what those are and how they connect?

If you decide to get rid of it , holler at me. I like messing with them.

I had this old McMurry on my 1972 GB42. Bullet-proof.

Attachments

• windlass name plate.jpg
    windlass name plate.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 45
  • windlass.jpg
    windlass.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 41
Here's my Ideal windlass as I'm finishing up my refit.
DSCN1601.jpg

Genuine Bruce behind and Rocna up front.
DSCN1591.jpg

Ted

It looked like the three spoke wheels on the outside of each side, one with the straight wrench on it, were for the clutches?

Yes, I suppose that clutch is the right term. If those three eared collars (clutches) are turned tight, then the gypsy is fully engaged with the output shaft of the gear. It can only free fall if these collars are loosened since the gear will not turn in reverse.
So...to free fall, the brake(L handle) is backed off and the three eared collars are disengaged to the point where you like the speed of deployment. Three eared collar clutch is then fully engaged tightly to raise the anchor with brake off, of course.
When the anchor is to be stored for a term on the bottom of the ocean or in its nest on the boat, then both the clutch and the brake are fully engaged. Either alone will prevent chain from feeding out but both is the safest.
Anchors can be operated as left, right, or both when brakes and clutches are set appropriately. The straight wrench is used on both clutch and brake when tight.

Last edited:
OC beautiful setup! 2 great anchors. I would sleep well....I just sold our boat with a genuine Bruce and my wife and can’t praise it enough.
Our new boat came with a Danforth, we only have been on the hook a few nights with no problems , but it just don’t look right for the size of boat.
What brand of winch?
Are those custom bow rollers and brackets?

OC beautiful setup! 2 great anchors. I would sleep well....I just sold our boat with a genuine Bruce and my wife and can’t praise it enough.
Our new boat came with a Danforth, we only have been on the hook a few nights with no problems , but it just don’t look right for the size of boat.
What brand of winch?
Are those custom bow rollers and brackets?

The windlass was made by "Ideal". They were bought a few years ago by Schaefer.

https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-products/ideal-windlass/

I don't remember the manufacturer of the bow roller assemblies, but they are a stock item for several distributors and online boating supply companies.

Ted

I second the cheap wireless remotes. I added one last winter and it's been great. No more up/down signal to the helm (no foot switches on my boat)

Back
Top Bottom