Short cut for Florida boaters Closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been in the works for awhile.
It will force a large number of the winter/summer boaters and loopers to go around the tip of FL, probably add 8 to 10 days.

I'll probably take the route around the tip, but if I knew that they'd absolutely be on time, I'd wait til March 30.

It will force a large number of the winter/summer boaters and loopers to go around the tip of FL, probably add 8 to 10 days.

I'll probably take the route around the tip, but if I knew that they'd absolutely be on time, I'd wait til March 30.

As someone who has spent a bit of time working in government (and the last seven years on a board that manages a lock in FL), I have to say that I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is boat traffic going through that lock on April 1...

As someone who has spent a bit of time working in government (and the last seven years on a board that manages a lock in FL), I have to say that I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is boat traffic going through that lock on April 1...

We will see. The Army Corps has been very good with their projections on lock closures in recent years.

The people I feel bad for are those who keep their boats just on the inside of the St. Lucie lock, including those with homes there.

Otherwise, the trip around the outside is a great trip. Adds about 400 miles to the trip, removes 5 locks. All depends on your speed. Nice time to explore the great sites along the way.

We decided to skip the 'short-cut' when we started our Loop last fall. Took the boat down to Marathon just before Thanksgiving and flew home from Key West. Will return late Jan and hopefully be able to cross over to the Bahamas - if Covid doesn't mess things up.

310 miles vs 135 mi. Maybe 3 extra days at trawler speed and short 60 mile days.

We'll be camping at the Ortona Lock March 31 thru April 3 so we should have some interesting sites.

Appreciate the update!
Planning on leaving next Saturday and figured I would need to call.

Ted

East or West? We're planning on a Westbound crossing (St. Lucie) on the 5th.

Wifey B: Sure sounds like a clusterf... developing. Worse than opening day at the Erie. :eek:

I'll probably leave Fort Myers on Saturday and may or may not make the Ortona lock before 4:30. If I do, I'll stop at Moore Haven Saturday night. If not, I'll lock through Ortona at 7 am Sunday and hopefully be in Stuart Sunday night.

That's the plan anyway, subject to change without notice, objects in the review mirror may be larger and closer than they actually appear, your mileage may vary, and around every silver lining there's a dark cloud.

Ted

I'll probably leave Fort Myers on Saturday and may or may not make the Ortona lock before 4:30. If I do, I'll stop at Moore Haven Saturday night. If not, I'll lock through Ortona at 7 am Sunday and hopefully be in Stuart Sunday night.

That's the plan anyway, subject to change without notice, objects in the review mirror may be larger and closer than they actually appear, your mileage may vary, and around every silver lining there's a dark cloud.

Ted

We'll watch for you. Current plan (and reservations) have us leaving Satellite Beach Sunday am and then fueling and in a slip at Vero that night. We'll then do a short day Monday and grab a ball at Jensen Beach.

New to us boat so we're going to take the first few days slow and get a feel for her.

We'll watch for you. Current plan (and reservations) have us leaving Satellite Beach Sunday am and then fueling and in a slip at Vero that night. We'll then do a short day Monday and grab a ball at Jensen Beach.

New to us boat so we're going to take the first few days slow and get a feel for her.

I'm familiar with Jensen Beach's new mooring field. If I'm not visiting friends in Stuart, I'll be in Hogg's Cove (NE corner of the St Lucie river), a few miles as the crow flies from Jensen Beach.

Ted

I’m camped at the Ortona lock COE campground.
One of the volunteers told us the St Lucie lock is still closed
Not much boat traffic so check that out

We’re heading westbound tomorrow from Stuart. See you on the one.

I’m camped at the Ortona lock COE campground.
One of the volunteers told us the St Lucie lock is still closed
Not much boat traffic so check that out

JAX District says they opened 3/29 and posted pictures on their facebook page...

For anyone wanting to check directly: St. Lucie Lock & Dam 772-287-2665 or 863-662-9148

I'm not leaving before Sunday. Still taking care of house and personal stuff.

Ted

We went through St Lucie Lock an hour ago. Heavy traffic westbound. Arrival at 0835. Exited at 1130.

Greetings,
Mr. HW. WHAT????? It took you 3 hours for one lockage? Wow. It MUST have been a circus.

Greetings,
Mr. HW. WHAT????? It took you 3 hours for one lockage? Wow. It MUST have been a circus.

More to it then that. When we got there one boat was going through westbound already. Then an eastbound. Then a westbound tug and barge. Then no one eastbound. By then there were at least nine boats going through westbound with 13 feet of lift. I guess we will get to Moore Haven lock in the dark.

So interesting as I am in the PNW. How far is the trip across? Depth of the water? How many locks?

So interesting as I am in the PNW. How far is the trip across? Depth of the water? How many locks?

The Okeechobee waterway is a total of about 145 statute miles, 5 locks, and about 8-10 feet deep. There’s a few skinny spots in Lake O during low lake levels where it gets under 6 feet deep. Normally not a problem.

The Okeechobee waterway is a total of about 145 statute miles, 5 locks, and about 8-10 feet deep. There’s a few skinny spots in Lake O during low lake levels where it gets under 6 feet deep. Normally not a problem.

The locks are all small level changes, nothing substantial, normally fairly quick to clear.

More to it then that. When we got there one boat was going through westbound already. Then an eastbound. Then a westbound tug and barge. Then no one eastbound. By then there were at least nine boats going through westbound with 13 feet of lift. I guess we will get to Moore Haven lock in the dark.
I've done the rim canal in the dark, never again. The dolphins outside Moore Haven aren't the best to tie between, very low water and rocks with the wrong wind direction.

I'd consider Roland and Martin in Clewiston. Fun, people watching from the tiki bar. As bar food goes, I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Forget the dolphins outside Clewiston, unless you like billions of flying insects.

Ted

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom