Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

City: New York City / Boothbay Harbor
Vessel Name: Slow Poke
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46'
Shakedown Cruise...

Hello again all:
I'm the new owner of a 46' Grand Banks, Hull #20.

I had a splendid shakedown cruise from Boothbay Harbor Maine down to New York NY. My delivery crew was my 80 year old dad and my three kids (14 13 and 10). great fun.
1. Boothbay to Boston (Charlestown Marina)
2. Boston to Newport (Goat Island Marina)
3. Newport to Bridgeport (Captain's Cove)
4. Bridgeport to NYC (Newport Marina Jersey City).

Now I'm here in NYC "home"... looking to do some foliage trips up the Hudson before it gets too cold!!! suggestions on Marinas?? Maybe a trip out to Ambrose or Sandy Hook? Long Island??? Suggestions!!?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
richard8000milesaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
She looks lovely! Congrats!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Over on Sandy Hook I highly recommend Atlantic Highlands Marina. Nice place, great people and a short walk to town.

Up the Hudson look at Half Moon Bay and Haverstraw marinas.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Cold is why God invented diesel furnaces and hot coffee.

Nice boat!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Great looking boat. Wood or fiberglass?
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Great boat and I like the crew.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Sounds like you're more marina oriented. The Hudson is gourmet cruising at its finest, go at your first opportunity. For example, we enjoyed anchoring off pretty Croton Point and taking the Whaler into Half Moon and Croton on Hudson. Nice village and the marina seemed nice. Further up we always enjoyed Kingston; we stayed at the town docks so could walk everywhere in the Roundout district or take the jitney up into Kingston proper.. all charming. Catskill is also very pretty and the people at the marina there were always very nice and helpful, and another charming burg. I highly recommend getting a copy of Larry Zeitlin's Hudson River Cruising Guide which he has updated for the last time and gives away. I believe there is a 2015 version now.

Hudson River Guide 2014

On nearby LIS, we enjoyed Oyster Bay of all the excellent ports of call, over all the prettiest in our opinion and a charming village as well. Again, we anchored out and explored with the Whaler, but there are moorings and dockage right at the village. But all the north shore bays have plenty to recommend them. You can't go wrong exploring for yourself, and The Waterway Guide North is an excellent handbook for planning purposes.

Atlantic Highlands is worth the visit when it is time to fuel up, much much less expensive than the NY and CT fuel docks. From Newport, Great Kills Harbor makes a nice lunch trip, good places to eat right there or a short hike to the adjacent village. Atlantis is the nicest marina but we were fond of Mansion too. Have not been back since they were rebuilt post Sandy; I am going to be in Jersey this Wednesday and Thursday and am half tempted to go by there on my way home.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
"Wonderful boat" but do you have enough fenders?
Old 10-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
"Wonderful boat" but do you have enough fenders?
Not to meantion they aren't the correct type.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

the boat is fiberglass; one of the reasons I am/was attracted to it was because of the fiberglass hull, factory installed nonskid fiberglass (nonteak) decks, and factory installed stainless steel handrails: the original owners (who I purchased it from), had it built that way because they wanted less time spent maintaining and more time cruising. I'm a professional merchant mariner, so the ease of maintenance I find appealing even if it loses a bit in the "pretty" department....
Old 10-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

what sort of fenders do you all suggest? I also have about 5 large ball type onboard.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard8000milesaway View Post
what sort of fenders do you all suggest? I also have about 5 large ball type onboard.
I was just joking.

You apparently have more than enough fenders. In most cases I think you'll find you'll rarely need more than 3 or 4 fenders at a time, of either type.

Where do you keep all those fenders on a boat that size?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

".....Where do you keep all those fenders on a boat that size? ..."

since I'm single, I just treat the spare fenders as my girlfriends till hopefully a real one shows up someday; although cool to the touch, unresponsive in bed, and lacking in personality, they rarely talk back.

yes, that was humor - a bland attempt .... in any event, I keep the fenders lashed back aft as well up forward on the pulpit by the anchor windlass. I do roll a lot here in NYC so I "go heavy" w fenders...
Old 10-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard8000milesaway View Post
".....Where do you keep all those fenders on a boat that size? ..."...
I'm a believer in a plethora of fenders (five to a side). Keep mine on my wider-than-the-norm decks.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Sounds like you're more marina oriented.
not at all! in fact kinda the opposite!!! lol. I'm just learning how it all works: easier/baby steps seems like shore power and tied up alongside. as I get a bit more comfortable - and I get one of my damn outboards running - I can't wait to anchor out and run about in my avon!!!!

Quote:
The Hudson is gourmet cruising at its finest, go at your first opportunity. For example, we enjoyed anchoring off pretty Croton Point and taking the Whaler into Half Moon and Croton on Hudson. Nice village and the marina seemed nice. Further up we always enjoyed Kingston; we stayed at the town docks so could walk everywhere in the Roundout district or take the jitney up into Kingston proper.. all charming. Catskill is also very pretty and the people at the marina there were always very nice and helpful, and another charming burg. I highly recommend getting a copy of Larry Zeitlin's Hudson River Cruising Guide which he has updated for the last time and gives away. I believe there is a 2015 version now.

Hudson River Guide 2014

On nearby LIS, we enjoyed Oyster Bay of all the excellent ports of call, over all the prettiest in our opinion and a charming village as well. Again, we anchored out and explored with the Whaler, but there are moorings and dockage right at the village. But all the north shore bays have plenty to recommend them. You can't go wrong exploring for yourself, and The Waterway Guide North is an excellent handbook for planning purposes.

Atlantic Highlands is worth the visit when it is time to fuel up, much much less expensive than the NY and CT fuel docks.

I'll be filling up with diesel fuel in late October, will there be "winter fuel" available in the area? Is this typical for yachts or am I showing my commercial shipping background....

Quote:
From Newport, Great Kills Harbor makes a nice lunch trip, good places to eat right there or a short hike to the adjacent village. Atlantis is the nicest marina but we were fond of Mansion too. Have not been back since they were rebuilt post Sandy; I am going to be in Jersey this Wednesday and Thursday and am half tempted to go by there on my way home.
Thanks!!!!
I can't wait to get home and do some trips! (I'm in the Merchant Marine, working 28 days on/off; right now I'm offshore Gabon). anytime you want to stop by for some sea stories and a cup of coffee give me a shout.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg  

Tags
grand banks, hudson, new york city