Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 751
Senate approves BC bypass for WA AK cruises

I don't know how long it takes for things to move through the House, but one deadhead is cleared away.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...mmer-1.6027945
__________________
Advertisement

soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
JLD
Guru
 
City: Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 731
I would think it would clear the House and be signed by the President pretty quickly.

Interestingly, here is what is listed under the duration of the Act:

"(g) Duration.—The authority provided under this section shall terminate on the earlier of—
(1) the date on which covered cruise ships are no longer prohibited by the Government of Canada, any political subdivision of Canada, or any port or province of Canada, from entering, berthing, or docking in Canadian waters of the Pacific Coast due to the COVID–19 pandemic; or

(2) March 31, 2022."

Jim
__________________

JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I would think it would clear the House and be signed by the President pretty quickly.

Interestingly, here is what is listed under the duration of the Act:

"(g) Duration.—The authority provided under this section shall terminate on the earlier of—
(1) the date on which covered cruise ships are no longer prohibited by the Government of Canada, any political subdivision of Canada, or any port or province of Canada, from entering, berthing, or docking in Canadian waters of the Pacific Coast due to the COVID–19 pandemic; or

(2) March 31, 2022."

Jim
Thank you for that.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I would think it would clear the House and be signed by the President pretty quickly.

Interestingly, here is what is listed under the duration of the Act:

"(g) Duration.—The authority provided under this section shall terminate on the earlier of—
(1) the date on which covered cruise ships are no longer prohibited by the Government of Canada, any political subdivision of Canada, or any port or province of Canada, from entering, berthing, or docking in Canadian waters of the Pacific Coast due to the COVID–19 pandemic; or

(2) March 31, 2022."

Jim
I guess they gave themselves a month to see if Canada opens after the end of Feb 2022, they can always extend, but have made it an emergency measure, not an indefinite one.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley
I guess they gave themselves a month to see if Canada opens after the end of Feb 2022, they can always extend, but have made it an emergency measure, not an indefinite one.
Preliminary talks, to get the border opened up, are happening.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...tart-1.6027705
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Preliminary talks, to get the border opened up, are happening.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...tart-1.6027705
your link is for border crossings and do not include cruise ships. Even then, the article explains these are routine talks by staff, nothing more.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
your link is for border crossings and do not include cruise ships. Even then, the article explains these are routine talks by staff, nothing more.
Yes, I read that and is why I said preliminary.
You really think when the "border" opens cruise ships will still be banned?
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Yes, I read that and is why I said preliminary.
You really think when the "border" opens cruise ships will still be banned?
Yes
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
slowgoesit's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,096
Play nice kids . . .
__________________
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,022
As an Alaskan this legislation is frankly too late for the 2021 cruise ship season.

Our cruise ship season is really May through September and we are already in the middle of May.

Cruise ships take time to gear up, hire and train crew, get bookings, and all the other things that must work out to make a cruise happen.

There is just not enough time for that to happen for 2021
__________________

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×