Seeking Kohler Marine Generator Technician

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I am seeking a Kohler Marine Diesel Generator repair technician. I am located in Port Charlotte, South West Florida. Generator starts and runs but the starter does not disengage. We replaced the starter and still the same problem. The Generator is a Kohler 8E0Z.

If the old and the new are doing the same, failing to disengage, then sounds to me like something upstream of the actual starter mounted solenoid is acting up and failing to open.

Check for a pilot RELAY upstream of the starter mounted solenoid. These are often used as the starter solenoid can draw a lot of current which the key switch cannot handle long term. They are usually nearby. Can look like a small can or a small tower. Trace starter solenoid small wiring the back to find it.

If that pilot relay is sticking the starter will do what you describe.

ALso check the actual start button or switch. If this fails the pilot relay may be doing what it is told even though wrong.

Can't help with a mechanic, sorry.

Thank you. I replaced the rocker ignition switch already. Replaced both relays in the starter/fuel solenoid loop. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Not sure if this will help. This what came up when I googled Kohler 8E0Z wiring.

Screenshot 2022-04-29 100148.jpg

do you have 2 start switches?

Last edited:
I am seeking a Kohler Marine Diesel Generator repair technician. I am located in Port Charlotte, South West Florida. Generator starts and runs but the starter does not disengage. We replaced the starter and still the same problem. The Generator is a Kohler 8E0Z.

TAW Power Systems. Their nearest location to you is in Riverview.

Florida Power Solutions. They have a Sarasota location.

Back
Top Bottom