Securing furniture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have Stressless recliners and foot stools in the salon and they stay in place. We also have a couple of chest freezers on board and secure them to the wall with webbed straps.

We have stressless recliners as well. To secure I drilled a hole through the base into the deck front and back.

Next enlarged the hole in the deck to accept brass threaded inserts.

Red Loctite stainless steel threaded rod to a "T" handle.

Brought the chairs home for the winter so can't screw in the (second photo) T handle.

Turns out I only use one bolt when underway.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
So on the Hampton Endurance the bar stools legs are square. There is a square hole to mount the stools. Great idea.

I have some built in and some freestanding furniture.

Many miles of open ocean under my keel and have not had a problem.

Yes I have lost a coffee pot, and have had my counters cleared by wave action :blush:

But... That is my fault for not preparing.

I was planning on adjustable floor to ceiling supports (like a jack stand) to have on hand for worst cast scenarios. One for the washer/dryer combo and one for the full size fridge. I would remove the headliner panel to access the steel crossbeams. Both are bolted in place with brackets, but I can't imaging the damage/threat they present if they broke free. I also plan on using ratchet straps to secure my loose recliners to the thru bolted salon table.

If you have to strap or screw your recliner or fridge in place imagine how pissed your wife is going to be...

Why not make better decisions and avoid really bad weather???

We placed a run made by Ruggables brand on the salon floor. The rug is in two parts. This allows you to sperate and wash the upper. The lower is a very thin rubber mat that keeps the rug from moving on the hardwood floor. The benefit is that it hold the couch in place. The coffee table has a heavy base and low center gravity , it doesn't move much.

LOL (tease)
You get everything secured or bolted down and you/wife decide to rearrange the furniture.

All my furniture is built in. It is not ideal, especially when we have company but my boat is small (36 feet) and moveable furniture like recliners or easy chairs really isn't an option.

I guess I like it that way. Sometimes i, or a guest will sit on a cooler or folding chair. Nobody seems to mind.

pete

Back
Top Bottom