Seapiper 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hgd.......thanks for the interesting info on the Seapiper 35.... many people like boat reviews.

Me-thinks people have been cooped up too much.

How can be cooped up when on a boat. Load it up with food and go for a ride, anchor out and when you get tired, come back to your home dock.
There is always something to do on a boat, some place to go.

IM flawed opinion, being on a boat is far less confining than an RV. I doubt if I could safely drive a 34ft RV at highway speed and I would be condemned and ticketed for driving 10mph on the interstate highway. LOL

Re: Sandpiper
I have never been on a Sandpiper.
I have never seen a Sandpiper other than pictures.
That being said, I sort of doubt I would find the Sandpiper would satisfy my needs.
I am not closed minded but, I find the center open deck might not make me happy.
I do hope others find the Sandpiper very satisfying. I like the concept.

Old Dan, good attitude, and thats why there are so e many different kinds of boats. Different tastes, different uses.

Thanks for the insights on the Seapiper - you’ve made some great modifications to your boat and it looks like it meets your needs - always appreciate someone sharing. This model has intrigued me for a while, I’m looking for a loop boat that is as self contained as possible, efficient, seaworthy and well engineered. I really like the cockpit cover - if I got one I’d consider something that allows more solar panels. I do worry about the visibility from the helm. A small point for me is the comfort of the helm station and the location of instruments and screens.

The range on 200 gallons is very cool as I’m a cheap bastard.

Thanks again for sharing. I don’t consider it an “advertisement” at all. I lurk here all the time and read a lot of posts but never post much - I wanted to let you know how much the information means to me and help encourage more people to post inside scoops.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing about your SeaPiper 35. It's a fascinating design, great winter fare for those of us ashore longing for spring commissioning. The look is very North Sea, a little like the UK Fisher ketch/trawlers. I look forward to learning more as questions and answers come along.

One of the fascinating things about boats is that the boat buying public can't be satisfied with a few big holding companies and their brands like the auto industry. We keep wanting more innovation, more tradition, less maintenance, more brightwork, more speed, more fuel efficiency, longer voyage capability, always looking at the newest arrival at the marina, the mooring, etc. It's great to see your boat among the parade of boats that inspire us to dream, evaluate, question, and learn. It's all a part of "walking the docks" on line in the winter - fun!

I thought it was great, sure better than listening to you two know-it-alls drone about any topic that comes across this board, every post dripping with arrogance and "wherever you're going I've been and whatever you're doing, I've done".

Or maybe I just really like advertising.

That has been my experience with a few of the guys on this post (And one of their wives) as well. If they don’t like what you’re posting, they just hogpile with arrogance and, if you don’t just bend to their aggression, vitriol. Arrogant old men, am I right?

My wife and I are proud owner of hull #9 currently under construction and due for delivery after the first of the year.
It is a great pleasure working with Designer/Builder Ritzo Muntinga. Ritzo listens to his clients opinions and provide any information needed.
I am able to follow our build thru photos provided by Ritzo and his staff.
My wife and I were able to visit one of the SeaPipers being delivered to Southern California before making our decision.
This vessel was designed for simplicity and to run off the grid so pretty much any one with mechanical aptitude can work on it. Engine is basic with no electronics to fail.
As long as you have battery power to start, you are good to go. Hybrid version is now an option.
We opted for SeaKeeper for additional comfort and stibility and aft stern thruster for additional maneuverability. Bow thruster is standard.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience with the SeaPiper. I have been following the SeaPiper progress from the build plans right up to your write up. ( I also followed the sad story of the TT35 from Meristic marine in Florida) I have never been aboard a SeaPiper, as so far there are none on the East coast. A big thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Cliff

My wife and I are proud owner of hull #9 currently under construction and due for delivery after the first of the year.
It is a great pleasure working with Designer/Builder Ritzo Muntinga. Ritzo listens to his clients opinions and provide any information needed.
I am able to follow our build thru photos provided by Ritzo and his staff.
My wife and I were able to visit one of the SeaPipers being delivered to Southern California before making our decision.
This vessel was designed for simplicity and to run off the grid so pretty much any one with mechanical aptitude can work on it. Engine is basic with no electronics to fail.
As long as you have battery power to start, you are good to go. Hybrid version is now an option.
We opted for SeaKeeper for additional comfort and stibility and aft stern thruster for additional maneuverability. Bow thruster is standard.

Good post on an interesting vessel. Keep us informed as the build and commissioning progress. BTW, where will the Seakeeper be mounted and how will it be powered when cruising?

Bells and Whistles

The extensive customization suggests they leave the factory ready to be finished according to the buyer`s wishes. Or, they are a tad incomplete, leaving it to the buyer, and the first cost is by no means the last.
It looks way better in the blog pic than other designer/sales pics TF has hitherto provided. Having to add Seakeeper was a big step, expensive, space occupying, and a long term power user, usually only seen in bigger less utilitarian boats.
I hope your Seapiper brings you many years of enjoyable boating.

Why add a bunch of bells and whistles the end user doesn’t want or need.
Waste of time and money in my opinion.
I will add my own to the final product.
I am awaiting hull #9 in production.

SeaKeeper location

Sunchaser, Seakeeper 2 is mounted forward in electrical compartment just aft of forward compartment. It sits down between frame rails so it really doesn.t take up much room.
Power is provided by 175 amp alternator while under way.

Last edited:
Cliff, There is one on the Chesapeake, a few in Florida including Kiwi.
#1 is in Peoria, IL. This boat has transited the Illinois River to Destin. Single handed some of the way thru locks with no issues (I spoke with the owner). He had it trucked back to Peoria. The boat was designed with transport in mine. No oversize load permits in all 50 states.
There are some slated for PNW.
One in Los Angles, CA and mine in San Diego.

Pretty much everyone is proud of their boat. I am proud of my American Tug and will tell you all the wonderful strong points of my boat. YET, no one says I am advertising.
He listed his blog and invited folks to read it.
Please cut the guy some slack.

+1

When the trend is to build bigger & bigger boats it's great to see something this size being offered and at a really affordable price too! I've been following the development of this trawler for a while now & think the design is very cool.

They also haven't spat out larger versions...seem to be going slow & smart.

"Or, they are a tad incomplete, leaving it to the buyer, and the first cost is by no means the last.

Before the GRP production line cookie , most boats had most personal choices to fit during or after construction.

The range could be alcohol, kerosene , propane or electric .

Ice box or refrigeration , AC, DC , engine driven.

Autopilot , windlass,head, anchors and much of the interior was owners choice.

A far better system than the boat assembler choosing for you.

Last edited:
FF
The so called trawlers (Selene, Nordhavn, Outer Reef, Helmsman, North Pacific etc) offer a fair degree of new build customization. I'm hard pressed to come up with a cookie cutter brand other than Ranger Tug. Swift Trawler, American Tug and Nordic Tug owners who've built from scratch could maybe chime in on this.

There seems to be a lot of discussions about the Seapiper 35. Since I am an owner of hull #5 which I received in August 2019 I thought my input might be of interest. The boat was delivered to Marco Island where I did the initial commissioning and then sailed to Naples where I continued adding the necessary accessories which I felt important for a cruising boat. This I did while waiting for Covid - 19 to blow over(which it hasn't). But in the interim we were able to take trips to the Keys as well as the west coast of Florida. I have created a blog outlining what I have done to the boat to make it a comfortable cruiser, http://www.mvkiwi.com, which might be of value if you have interest in the boat.

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing what you've done to your Seapiper with us, great looking boat.

You have made significant changes to make it “your” boat. As for the changes you have made to your boat and I made to my my AT34, we hope the next owner will appreciate them. If not, don’t buy the boat.

Seapiper 35 - change of ownership

Seapiper 35 has been acquired by the same group who build Tartan and Legacy Yachts. They will be repatriated to the USA and built in the existing factory in Ohio. This is great news to the many that have been following the evolution of this most innovative trawler.

Seapiper 35 has been acquired by the same group who build Tartan and Legacy Yachts. They will be repatriated to the USA and built in the existing factory in Ohio. This is great news to the many that have been following the evolution of this most innovative trawler.

Tell us more about your boat. Anything new with KIWI? How is she running?

Tell us more about your boat. Anything new with KIWI? How is she running?

She running very well. I find just about all of my additions to be very useful. We just finished a 5 month, 3800 mile trip from Naples, Fl, through the Chesapeake and back. We had very few problems.

This is good news for Seapiper.
Seapiper #8 and #9 are now being scheduled for shipping.

I hope this is good news, but Legacy not exactly setting the world on fire and I do worry about the attention of the company now being spread thin. Seapiper had a singular focus that worked extremely well for them.

I'd also wonder what percentage of Seapiper's sales were in the US. This could potentially hurt sales elsewhere.

I want to feel optimism but too much history with sales of brands to feel that way until they prove themselves. Just the disruption in shipping molds and retooling is enough of a challenge.

Why this is "great news"? Plenty of foreign companies make great products.

Wonder what it will do to the price and build quality of these boats.

Band B wrote;
“I want to feel optimism but too much history with sales of brands to feel that way until they prove themselves.”

Seems to me the SeaPiper has a good and long enough record to be past the proof of concept stage. I’d buy one … and I’m fussy.

Band B wrote;
“I want to feel optimism but too much history with sales of brands to feel that way until they prove themselves.”

Seems to me the SeaPiper has a good and long enough record to be past the proof of concept stage. I’d buy one … and I’m fussy.

I'm not talking about Seapiper proving themselves, but the buyers moving them to a new location and taking over the operation proving themselves. That's my concern. One knew what was going on with Seapiper but it's now a new ballgame.

Good point BB. Sorry
Boat building is hard.
Was easy when I was a young man. First in wood and then in FG. And people were buying them .. mostly as fast as they were being built. In the 70’s when I was working at Uniflite there was a time where one could buy a 42’ diesel cruiser and sell it a year later for more money. Quite a bit more

Good point BB. Sorry
Boat building is hard.
Was easy when I was a young man. First in wood and then in FG. And people were buying them .. mostly as fast as they were being built. In the 70’s when I was working at Uniflite there was a time where one could buy a 42’ diesel cruiser and sell it a year later for more money. Quite a bit more

There are still those occasional times. We've bought two boats we could have done that on, but then we wouldn't have had the boat to enjoy. I've just admired how well they've done these years and no so little about the company that acquired them.

Back
Top Bottom