Sealant on Heat Exchanger Caps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMK818

Vessel Name
Fleur de Lis
Vessel Make
1979 California Marshal 42
I have been searching everywhere so I am at a loss. I have taken my Perkins t6.354 heat exchanger apart to clean and inspect. The gaskets on the end caps had to be scoured off, I used a Scotch-Brite pad to remove all the material and the end cap is clean and shiny... I ordered new gaskets from TA diesel (very helpful) and I want to make sure the tube assembly does not leak in the cooling tank. Some have said just to use a dry gasket, but I am wondering if I should use a gasket sealant first on the end cap that goes into the tank? If so, whish sealant should I use?

Thanks for any advice.

Greetings,
Mr. RM. Dry is probably fine but if you really feel the need for a "sealant" you might try Rectorseal #5. A thin coat probably wouldn't hurt anything.

After learning about it here on TF it seems to be my go-to for numerous applications.

I stand to be corrected if my advice is amiss.

I just did my HE caps and used Permatex 80062 High Tack Sealant. I use it all over the place as I have an old engine and most mating surfaces are not pristine. Really terrific stuff!

Depending on the gasket thickness, I would try without a sealant first. I've done maybe a half dozen heat exchangers and never had one leak. Keep in mind, the end plates are the raw water side that has almost no pressure (a few PSI) in the system.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom