sanatizing water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STG

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maudy
Vessel Make
1987 Grand Banks 32
I just got a GB 32.
Any thoughts appreciated on how to sanitize water tank ?

You’ll have answers all over the board. People commonly use bleach at 1 teaspoon per gallon. If you have an aluminum tank, some people recommend using a non-chlorinated disinfectant.

Some folks even go as far as sending a sample into a laboratory and testing for “drinking water standards”.

Should you have aluminum tanks, like I have in my GB42, testing for metals could be on your list also. I tested for metals and determined that dissolved aluminum was above USEPA drinking water standards and I made a decision not to actively drink from the tanks. However, I wash dishes, shower, etc. with the water.

You’ll have answers all over the board. People commonly use bleach at 1 teaspoon per gallon. If you have an aluminum tank, some people recommend using a non-chlorinated disinfectant.

Some folks even go as far as sending a sample into a laboratory and testing for “drinking water standards”.

Should you have aluminum tanks, like I have in my GB42, testing for metals could be on your list also. I tested for metals and determined that dissolved aluminum was above USEPA drinking water standards and I made a decision not to actively drink from the tanks. However, I wash dishes, shower, etc. with the water.
Thx
I have Alu water tank. Am not using chlorine but rather camco “drinking water freshener”.

Am advised this works well with alu tank.

Thx
I have Alu water tank. Am not using chlorine but rather camco “drinking water freshener”.

Am advised this works well with alu tank.
Guess what the active ingredient is?
"The active ingredient in RV water fresheners such as Camco*# CAM40206*is sodium hypochlorite which gets rid of algae and slime in the water it's used in. You wouldn't want to use this as a way to store water for long periods of time as a way to keep it fresh but it will prevent algae and slime from forming. I'd recommend you still replace the water using your best judgment."
It appears to be an expensive bleach solution. It may be weak and safe for alum but that would make it less effective at sanitizing.

Most older GB’s have aluminum water tanks. If you have bad smelling/tasting water. The 1st step is to look in the tank(s). Probably need an inexpensive borescope. Empty the tanks 1st. If you see lots of white deposits on the sides or a bunch of white sand like material on the bottom, you have two choices. Install access hatches, mechanically clean the tanks then seal with a food grade polymer or replace the tanks with polyethylene ones. I replaced mine in my ‘98 36GBCL rather than risk later perforations. It’s relatively easy to on a 42 (3 tanks) hard work in a 36 (2 tanks-need to be cut out). Not sure about the configuration in a 32.

If there are no Aluminum Chloride deposits, then follow Peggy Hall’s instructions for a 1 time decontamination with bleach, but be sure to flush well afterwards.
The Chlorine induced deposits in the water tank sometimes occur because P.O.s kept adding more chlorine to get rid of the smell, which once the problem starts, simply accelerates it until the tank develops pin holes.

Back
Top Bottom