Sam Devlin boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven’t seen one in person but have been a fan of his designs and methods for years. Covey Island Boatworks in Canada also builds very nice cold molded boats.

Have been aboard a number of Sam's boats over the years at the Seattle show.

The Golly Wabbler 38 is almost an exact match to the footprint of our current boat.

Only one of these has been built to my knowledge - saw her down in Gig Harbor last summer - topsides had been re-painted a dark color - looked really great.

You can see some pics from an expired listing here:

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/y...llywobbler-38-1996-Seattle-Washington/7718789

Attachments

• GollyWobbler38Harbor.jpg
    GollyWobbler38Harbor.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 23
Nick,

I haven't had one built but have been aboard most of his designs. They are extremely well made and pleasing to the eye. The Sockeye 45 and Black Crown 30 are my favorites and of the two I would choose the Sockeye.

Bob

A friend and former TF member owns a Devlin 48, Moon River. It is a gorgeous fast boat built to a very high standard. It has a distinctive light blue hull and powered by a pair of JDs.

Yes Bob the Sockeye is my favorite Devlin design.

Are all the Devlin boats composite wood construction?

Last edited:
Wow …
In the ad linked to this GW 38 has a displacement of only 20k lbs.
My little old Willard 30 was 16k lbs.

That’s a very light 38’ boat I’m think’in.
But the NT 37 is spec’d at 22k lbs.

Last edited:
Eric,
yup the displacement ends up being low on cold moulded boats.

I have heard this statement for years: cold-mold is stronger and lighter than fiberglass.

If you google around, you will find this is a bit more complex than that. Depends on the species of wood, thickness of hull, number of layers etc.

One benefit for sure is the 'stiffness' of the boat.

I don't recall how thick the Devlin boats end up, but on mine, the hull has an actual thickness of 1 5/8" . And my displacement/weight is around 20k loaded.

I am certain a fiberglass boat with that thick of a hull structure would be drastically heavier.

Have been aboard a number of Sam's boats over the years at the Seattle show.

The Golly Wabbler 38 is almost an exact match to the footprint of our current boat.

Only one of these has been built to my knowledge - saw her down in Gig Harbor last summer - topsides had been re-painted a dark color - looked really great.

You can see some pics from an expired listing here:

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/y...llywobbler-38-1996-Seattle-Washington/7718789

Thank you!!!!

That looks like a wonderful boat!!! I would love it!!!

I've only been on one Devlin boat, a Sockeye (I believe 42?) at a Seattle boat show. It was absolutely beautiful, very nicely finished (though I remember the one I was on having a bit of an odd layout, maybe something the owner specifically wanted)?

I find Devlin's designs to be spot-on with my taste in boats. I've always admired and loved them! Classic, timeless designs but with innovation in engineering and execution. It's amazing how beautifully styled they are, given that they're built out of plywood (compared with the more staid lines of many pure fiberglass boats, that theoretically should have fewer constraints on shape).

I wonder how the glass-over-wood construction holds up over time? Especially compared with conventional 'fiberglass'? The answer is likely a complicated 'it depends', on the wood and types of resin used, care during construction, etc.

I reached out to Devlin several times during my boat search, trying to engage them in discussions for a new Gollywobbler build. But despite multiple overtures, I never heard back from anyone. I took the ghosting as a 'not interested' message. I suppose I could have been more obnoxiously persistent, but if I have to beg a company to even respond to me, it's not encouraging for how the actual purchase and build process might go.

Wow …
In the ad linked to this GW 38 has a displacement of only 20k lbs.
My little old Willard 30 was 16k lbs.

That’s a very light 38’ boat I’m think’in.
But the NT 37 is spec’d at 22k lbs.

Relatively speaking, your Willard was at the heavy end of the spectrum (as many FD boats are). Being FD, it carried some weight in ballast for stability. And being FD, weight carries a smaller performance penalty, so there's less incentive to keep the build light (as opposed to sturdy, practical, and low cost). FWIW, my 38 footer (which is fairly heavy for a planing hull) is just about the same 22k lbs dry as the NT 37, around 27k fully tanked with some stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom