Russian Trawler Update 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dog, looking at your boat frozen in the ice, .... Right now it is sunny and 80F in this area of Florida... between Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

Dan, I can say that it is hard to get motivated to climb into the bilges to grind rust when the hull is frozen in ice. Frozen paint also doesn't stick very well to frozen steel. The wood-burning stove helps a lot, but it goes through wood like a fat kid goes through cake.
We don't have hurricanes. I guess that's something?
Ah, well. I will have to relocate eventually :)

That's quite a story. Tell me, was the previous owner a real estate salesman, a used car salesman or a politician?

He had to be one of the three!!

pete

He's an old Russian guy, so I would say, (with great respect to old Russian guys) that he is over-qualified for all three vocations :)

Some more photos of the boat in general, before I gutted the interior. Orientation seems to be problematic. Apologies in advance.

Ps, if you are confused, please check my previous posts for context.

Privet ! Welcome to you and “Wizard”.

Privet ! Welcome to you and “Wizard”.

Здравствуйте!

The name has changed, but not applied to the Poseidon to make it all kosher yet.

Will be Соленая чайка (Salty Seagull) once it's all square with the God of the Deep and the Four Winds.

By the way, long term plans involve the French canals. Any advice you could offer there would be much appreciated. Worried about air draft, specifically. I'm right at 3.5m.

Thanks

By the way, long term plans involve the French canals. Any advice you could offer there would be much appreciated. Worried about air draft, specifically. I'm right at 3.5m.
Thanks

You might have a bit of trouble with that draft especially if you venture into the smaller canals. You did not mention your air draft. So long has the bridge can go up, you are going to be okay.

One way to find out is to search for a chart book for the French canals. There must be something on the internet.

Start with;

Charts for the French canalsmike@newportmarineelectronics.com>

Last edited:
Здравствуйте!

The name has changed, but not applied to the Poseidon to make it all kosher yet.

Will be Соленая чайка (Salty Seagull) once it's all square with the God of the Deep and the Four Winds.

Thanks

Спасибо, и тебе Здравствуйте. название лодки "КУДЕСНИК", это было странно.

Good to practice my Russian again which sadly I lost a lot since high school. Now back to English otherwise Menzies should fine me :D.
Well, about French canals, when the times comes, contact me by PM. I will be glad to help you and answer question you may have. There are numerous routes, very enjoyable and relaxing experience.

до скорой встречи !

You might have a bit of trouble with that draft especially if you venture into the smaller canals. You did not mention your air draft. So long has the bridge can go up, you are going to be okay.

One way to find out is to search for a chart book for the French canals. There must be something on the internet.

Start with;

Charts for the French canalsmike@newportmarineelectronics.com>

Hi Dan,

I think we crossed wires. My draft is just over a meter, from what I've read that wouldn't be a problem. My air draft is 3.5m, which is the maximum height. I worry it will be tight. From what I understand the water levels are generally lower than advertised. That's a problem for fixed keel sailboats, but it might help me squeeze under a bridge or two...

Thanks!

Hi Dan,

I think we crossed wires. My draft is just over a meter, from what I've read that wouldn't be a problem. My air draft is 3.5m, which is the maximum height. I worry it will be tight. From what I understand the water levels are generally lower than advertised. That's a problem for fixed keel sailboats, but it might help me squeeze under a bridge or two...

Thanks!

Ah okay, my mistake about the draft mistake.
If the bridge is too low, back up, full throttle and keep that part of the boat that clears the bridge. LOL :D :dance:

Last edited:
I think it's even odds I would keep that part of the bridge that falls on the deck :)

"My air draft is 3.5m, which is the maximum height. I worry it will be tight."

It is always a worry , our solution was a discarded fiberglass antenna mounted at the bow with a small red ball on top.

We could stick our nose in , as some bridges are curved so the height at the center is better than posted.

Boats waiting for a bridge to open would watch with HATE as we putted under .

"My air draft is 3.5m, which is the maximum height. I worry it will be tight."

It is always a worry , our solution was a discarded fiberglass antenna mounted at the bow with a small red ball on top.

We could stick our nose in , as some bridges are curved so the height at the center is better than posted.

Boats waiting for a bridge to open would watch with HATE as we putted under .

Very creative! I may very well steal that idea when the time comes... :)

Thanks

Thank you for your kind PM, bolchoï spassibo !
We keep in touch about French canals.
All the best,
Pilou

Dear Atomic Dog - any updates on your adventure??

Dear Atomic Dog - any updates on your adventure??

"When last we heard," the ice is gone, he took his heavy coat off, he has a boat load of parts to install plus attending to the wishes and desires of his bunkmate. Oh yea, his job so he can buy more parts.

Is it fair to assume, based upon the name of his yacht, he works in the nuclear industry???? "Inquiring minds want to know."

Last edited:
IF you have located the limber holes,, may I suggest running a thin chain thru them , and installing a spring on each end.

Stuff gets into the bilge that can plug the limber holes , but a simple pull anywhere on the chain will usually clear them enough to drain the bilge sections to the pump.

Hi Nick!

Thanks for checking in. You might have missed this thread? https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/update-russian-trawler-4-a-58436.html

We are spending July in the USA, so not much progress this month. The biggest update that I will post about when we are back in Russia is getting all the new windows in. That was actually a huge deal, as we made several of the pilot house windows bigger and had to have custom windows made. I didn't know that windows could be THAT expensive...ouch.

FF, that is an excellent suggestion! Particularly in the ER. Currently, the limber holes still reflect the original layout, meaning that stop at the previous watertight compartments, which means they stop in the middle of the main cabin. Not sure if to drill them all the way through or deal with them as they are.

Anyway, we will update in August. Feel free to ping with any questions or suggestions(!) in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom