roll and tip varnish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpackard

Vessel Name
formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Make
Willard 30/40
I have some large, vertical, varnished surfaces in the interior of my boat. Has anyone here tried the roll and tip technique with varnish? What kind of roller was used? That technique should give a better finish than brush alone i would think.

Done it. I like the small "hot dog" rollers, they're lint free and give good film thickness control. Just make sure they're compatible with the finish you're using. A good badger hair brush is best for tipping but I often use disposable foam brushes, they're cheaper than the solvent needed to clean the good ones. If you have enough wet time you can tip from the newly rolled area back into the old and finish with a light stroke with the grain. Really not any different than regular paint but with the advantage that the grain will help hide any lap marks.

Large surfaces are much better done roll and tip than by brush alone. I also like the foam rollers. You can get much better speed this way, and speed is your friend with varnish. Also the film thickness control is better than with a brush. I have applied at least 50 gallons of varnish this way.

I agree I like foam rollers. I find using a really high quality brush is helpful as well.

I have some large, vertical, varnished surfaces in the interior of my boat. Has anyone here tried the roll and tip technique with varnish? What kind of roller was used? That technique should give a better finish than brush alone i would think.

Don't tip it, use thinners for a better consistency that will not run.

I use Epifanes Rubbed Effect varnish for interior. The foam rollers can load up and leave runs but faster for very large areas. I frequently use just brush. I find angle of lighting important so I can see runoff from roller edges or thin spots from brushing. I add a touch of thinner now and then to keep viscosity constant.

I use 1 1/2 angled top quality brush for interior work. Very fine foam rollers and don't load them up like latex.

I use Epifanes Rubbed Effect varnish for interior. The foam rollers can load up and leave runs but faster for very large areas. I frequently use just brush. I find angle of lighting important so I can see runoff from roller edges or thin spots from brushing. I add a touch of thinner now and then to keep viscosity constant.

I use 1 1/2 angled top quality brush for interior work. Very fine foam rollers and don't load them up like latex.

Just finished varnishing the pilot house. Rolled the walls with Epifanes Wood Finish Matte. No tipping and no runs. Didn’t try rubbed effect this time but have used it in the past and found it less forgiving.
Did the windowsills in clear gloss. Rolled and tipped, mostly because of the edges and shapes. I would fool with thinner ratio as needed to avoid tipping varnish if possible.

Back
Top Bottom