Retired Life in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my way! We're leaving Orcas Island tomorrow morning for San Diego. Leaving San Diego on the 30th for La Paz. We're in Marina de La Paz. Let's grab a cold drink!

We are leaving ensenada on the 14th of November for La Paz

Hey Crusty Chief did you have any issues with theft when you were there?

I spent the past 15 winter seasons, Jan-April in the Sea of Cortez, mostly on the Bahs side.

On the positive side: The people, the scenery and the food are great. Labor prices are very low compared to US.

Negative side: After May 1, the weather is too hot. From June to September expect a lot of days near 100F. If you don't have AC on your boat and can take that kind of heat you are more tolerant than I. The anchorages are mediocre if you are used to the kind of shelter provided in the PNW. You will rock and roll a lot in Mexico. Finally, moorage is very expensive compared to many places. If you are lucky enough to find a slip in LaPaz, you will pay at least $25US/ft/mo. And that is the cheaper monthly rate in the cheapest marina. In Cabo the daily rate is at least $10/ft/day. Yikes!!

Pacific mainland Mexico is mostly marinas because anchorages are few and far between. But you don't need a boat to visit Puerto Vallarta or any of the other Pacific seaside places. Drive there instead or take a bus.

My take is that Sea of Cortez is great for one or two winter seasons. After that you have seen the sights and made the tour. Many cruisers find the Sea of Cortez their favorite area but it is all relative to what other places you have experienced.

Ricard P

RP
Thanks for your comments. Your post pretty well summarizes my experiences of many decades ago. Back then we didn't have the cartel activity to deal with such as roiled the Baja in August. That is a new worry for the Baja largely not seen until this summer. Our daughter who lives in Rosarito fled north to the US until the National Guard arrived in force.

I have been cruising from Puerta Vallarta to San Carlos for 11 yrs in my 52 foot morortacht. I have been in Loreto / Puerto Escondido for the last 4 yrs. Wonderful.

I've visited/traveled Baja since I was a teenager - now I'm scoping out a 2024 retirement on the SofC coast. I'm nostalgic for the Las Barriles area for going down there in my 'youth'; went diving in Cabo Pulmo in 2019 and it still attracted me. Then in La Paz last fall, drove down to Barriles & it a zoo. Started exploring north of La Paz...anyone have more comments on Marina Puerto Escondido? Seems a little 'posh' for a trawler-type?

I've visited/traveled Baja since I was a teenager - now I'm scoping out a 2024 retirement on the SofC coast. I'm nostalgic for the Las Barriles area for going down there in my 'youth'; went diving in Cabo Pulmo in 2019 and it still attracted me. Then in La Paz last fall, drove down to Barriles & it a zoo. Started exploring north of La Paz...anyone have more comments on Marina Puerto Escondido? Seems a little 'posh' for a trawler-type?

Myself I really like La Paz. At 250,000 people the town is big enough to offer a large variety of shopping, and restaurants while still retaining a fairly small town feel to it.

Added to that is the idea that it is relatively undiscovered by expats. i say that because popular places like Cabo and Todo Santos are not in my opinion Mexico any more. They are America with a mexican accent.

Back
Top Bottom