Old 01-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
A group of us in dinghies returning from a party at night were stopped by the marine police in Stamford Harbor, CT for improper lighting. We were a group of 10 dinghies. We were instructed to follow the police boat to a local dock. I was at the end of the line and with a 3.3 hp motor I began to fall behind. Eventually I shut down the engine, doused my all around white light and rowed back to my boat. The others were all ticketed for improper lighting (no red/green) and some were issued a second citation for lack of a signaling device. True story.

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Ok so honestly, if one person is shining one of our bright LED’s off the front and I’m shining another off the back, does that not satisfy the 360 degree white light? We aren’t going to be in a busy harbor, we are going to be in a damn near empty cove.

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #23

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Ok so honestly, if one person is shining one of our bright LED’s off the front and I’m shining another off the back, does that not satisfy the 360 degree white light? We aren’t going to be in a busy harbor, we are going to be in a damn near empty cove.
Tape a plastic white/translucent beverage cup on the end of one of your big flashlights and one of you strike the Statue of Liberty pose with it...

Problem solved...
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not positive but several sources like this Boat US foundation article say in waters less than 2 miles wide, visual distress signals are not required.

"Visual Distress SignalsThe Regulations

This information is directed primarily to recreational boaters, but the requirements discussed also apply to operators of vessels engaged in the carrying of six or fewer passengers. The Visual Distress Signal requirements for most commercial vessels are in Title 46 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The requirement to carry visual distress signals became effective on January 1, 1981. This regulation requires all boats when used on coastal waters, which includes the Great Lakes, the territorial seas and those waters directly connected to the Great Lakes and the territorial seas, up to a point where the waters are less than two miles wide, and boats owned in the United States when operating on the high seas to be equipped with visual distress signals."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_214311.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	84682  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We're on the Missouri trapped above the first dam and there's almost zero law enforcement on the water of any kind, but even so, we have all the required lights on the inflatable 9' dingy. Silly to have a blow-up dingy lit like a Christmas tree in my opinion but it fulfills every reg and why risk the hassle? On the other hand, the white all-around stern light on a 9' raft ruins my night vision because it's right in my eyes. I would argue it makes night running far more dangerous because I can't see anything beyond the small pool of white light so it's a stupid, mindless requirement for a dingy. I usually turn off the stern light (leaving the green and red bow light on), but it's there if I notice a rare water cop motoring around. Tried some black tape on the inboard 180* part of the light housing but then that's not compliant either...
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #26
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
The nav rules state A light (my emphasis). So by definition a light fixture is one not two lights.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #27
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The nav rules state A light (my emphasis). So by definition a light fixture is one not two lights.
Actually a masthead and stern ore OK, an all around for less than 12meters is OK.

page 34 of Navrules.... it sends you back to paragraph a where the masthead and stern light are prescribed.

INLAND—
Lights and Shapes
Rule 23—CONTINUED
(d) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may, in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.
Power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length. Same for
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #28
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
How are you getting a mast on a dinghy?
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
If I were to row my dinghy do I still need lights?
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #30
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Vessel Under Oars
A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights for a sailboat . If it does not, it shall have ready at hand an electric torch (flashlight) or lighted lantern showing
a white light that shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision . (See Figure 7 .)
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #31
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Specific to Florida

Vessels less than 16 feet in length are required to carry at least 3 visual distress signals approved for nighttime use when on coastal waters from sunset to sunrise. Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
With my tricolor, I don’t worry about a LEO citing us. I’m more concerned about a yahoo flying by in another boat. More than once, we’ve almost been run over.

We have been pulled over and having the registration, flotation devices, being sober and having a good attitude goes a long way.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote