Really???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does this help?

Yes, Thanks.

Is that a heading compass on the very top?

I am going to put a SC30 heading compass above the domes and NXT Doppler Solid state. Furono TS said the top of the SC30 could be at the same elevation as the top of the Sat Domes, and the SC30 would still be happy.

With that config, the I3 obstructions drawing is not met (angle greater 10 degrees) but Intellian TS said reception should still be ok but I should get an App to track satellites. Do you use an App or anything special in this regard?

Any issues with the Tv Sat dome being obstructed by your gear up there?

Reminds me of the plastic testicles, available in various sizes, that some folks have installed in their neutered (male) dogs. Presumably so that their precious won't be embarrassed during sniff-ins.

That’s a THING?? People really DO that??? :facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead:

We have a second “dummy” dome. It was added by previous owner. It is actually useful. It has gps and AIS antennas in it.
+1. Our boat came with the dummy dome in place and when we did our electronics upgrade our guy suggested using it to hide the new GPS and satellite radio antennae. Hadn't even occurred to me and it was really a great solution in my opinion.

Yes, Thanks.

Is that a heading compass on the very top?

I am going to put a SC30 heading compass above the domes and NXT Doppler Solid state. Furono TS said the top of the SC30 could be at the same elevation as the top of the Sat Domes, and the SC30 would still be happy.

With that config, the I3 obstructions drawing is not met (angle greater 10 degrees) but Intellian TS said reception should still be ok but I should get an App to track satellites. Do you use an App or anything special in this regard?

Any issues with the Tv Sat dome being obstructed by your gear up there?

Yes, sat compass at the top. In practice I have had no interference in any other devices from the sat dome. And no interference in the sat from other devices, though I did make sure the sat and other things are out of the radar beams.

I'm not familiar with any app, or how it might help. The KVH figures out where the sats are, picks the one to use, and tracks it. You just turn it on and wait for it to come online. I'm not sure what the app would do.

Along the way I have learned two things about the KVH that might be applicable to your intellian. First, it uses a ton of power. 140W all the time when on. It's 3x the daily power of my sub zero fridge. Definitely turn it off when not in use, or at least at night. Second, it's worth hooking up the NMEA 0180 feed to the sat dome such that it gets location and heading from the boats instruments. It noticeably speeds up acquisition when you power it on.

And I guess I too have another dummy dome if you count my head :)

On the inland waterways its always been a problem getting TV for the admiral.
I've spent thousand on various Omni directional aerials, boosters, cabling and satellite dishes.
Now its all redundant, we use Google Chromecast.
We both have a glass of vino collapso, she has the TV, I curl up with a book.
Peace on board.

No TV for us, we just curl up together!! [emoji6][emoji6]❤️

Reminds me of the plastic testicles, available in various sizes, that some folks have installed in their neutered (male) dogs. Presumably so that their precious won't be embarrassed during sniff-ins.

Not just for dogs:blush: I know a testicular cancer survivor who has a silicon implant. Gotta keep the balance man!:whistling:

Yes, sat compass at the top. In practice I have had no interference in any other devices from the sat dome. And no interference in the sat from other devices, though I did make sure the sat and other things are out of the radar beams.

I'm not familiar with any app, or how it might help. The KVH figures out where the sats are, picks the one to use, and tracks it. You just turn it on and wait for it to come online. I'm not sure what the app would do.

Along the way I have learned two things about the KVH that might be applicable to your intellian. First, it uses a ton of power. 140W all the time when on. It's 3x the daily power of my sub zero fridge. Definitely turn it off when not in use, or at least at night. Second, it's worth hooking up the NMEA 0180 feed to the sat dome such that it gets location and heading from the boats instruments. It noticeably speeds up acquisition when you power it on.

And I guess I too have another dummy dome if you count my head :)

I had a dome on a previous boat but it was at the top of the mast and never had any tracking issues. I am now looking at a horizontal layout similar to what you have across a radar arch. Good tip on the NMEA feed.

A lot more boats have them than you realize. Mostly larger yachts where they're used for aesthetics to balance the other genuine dome. I don't know of any instances where someone has a sole dummy dome just for giving the illusion of a functional one.
Boat next berth to me has a dummy dome and no operational dome. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, that is the reason. If you mount your functional dome off of the boats center line, it looks odd. Two domes look balanced. I briefly considered a second dome until seeing the price and then choose a different mounting location for other reasons.

Ted
Mine is off centerline. I don't care that it looks off balance.

Mine is off centerline. I don't care that it looks off balance.

Others do and it’s their money........ I see no problems with an extra empty dome if that’s what they like. It’s a free country.

+1. Our boat came with the dummy dome in place and when we did our electronics upgrade our guy suggested using it to hide the new GPS and satellite radio antennae. Hadn't even occurred to me and it was really a great solution in my opinion.

OK, I have a SatTV dome on Kinship. It is on the centerline and was there when we bought the boat. If it wasn’t on the centerline there is no way I’d be looking for a dummy dome.

However, I think covering up a couple other antennas to keep them out of the weather, less fuss to clean around, etc... is a great idea. If it happens to match the profile of the SatTV dome (which is nothing more than a dome shaped cover for the sat receiver) all the better.

Others do and it’s their money........ I see no problems with an extra empty dome if that’s what they like. It’s a free country.

Right, I don't get what the twitter is all about. People spend hundreds if not thousands all the time on things that improve the appearance of their boat. Heck, a boat wash costs the same as my dummy dome, let alone a polish and wax.

I think the fuss is based on an assumption that people are pretending they have something they don't, but in 90% of the cases I don't believe it's about that at all. It's just about restoring visual symmetry after adding something that knocks it way off depending on the installation.

I had a dome on a previous boat but it was at the top of the mast and never had any tracking issues. I am now looking at a horizontal layout similar to what you have across a radar arch. Good tip on the NMEA feed.

I have a KVH / Direct TV setup on my boat. Mine is tied into the nmea 2000 network and it makes a huge difference in initial satellite lock on time. Was well worth the effort to run the cable to it.

Ted

Woodland and Twisted Tree: I guess my beef was about adding a non-functional item that is fake and misrepresents itself. If that makes sense.....Lol

For example: I've had colleagues in the past who put AMG decals on their non AMG Mercedes! It makes absolutely zero sense (especially when they could afford the real thing) Or Desmosedici on a non DD rr Ducati....I can keep going.

Woodland: Do we live in a free country?? YES, of course. So I'm free to have my opinion as well. Lol

Last edited:
Woodland and Twisted Tree: I guess my beef was about adding a non-functional item that is fake and misrepresents itself. If that makes sense.....Lol

For example: I've had colleagues in the past who put AMG decals on their non AMG Mercedes! It makes absolutely zero sense (especially when they could afford the real thing) Or Desmosedici on a non DD rr Ducati....I can keep going.

Woodland: Do we live in a free country?? YES, of course. So I'm free to have my opinion as well. Lol

I see what you mean, and if someone put one on just to make their boat look more grand, well, that would be pretty small. But their intent is to balance out the appearance when the real antenna needs to be mounted off to one side.

I have a dome...

Ray, your cooked skin looks like you spent too much time on the flybridge without a hat! Must be an old photo. Have no memory of such a tan/burn in the half-dozen years I've known you.

Last edited:
You could use them as anchor protectors on either side of your bow and maybe even paint a bikini on them :D

I've only seen them hanging from trailer hitches on pickup trucks. I guess if you are not a man, you need to constantly reming people you are a man.

Like the people festooned with American flags, it makes you think they “doth protest too much”. What ever happened to quiet confident love of country?

My dome is off center line. At first it bugged me but not enough to buy a sat-phone to balance it out. I wasn’t smart enough to think about adding a dummy dome. By the time I figured that one out I was no longer bothered by my asymmetrical antenna array. Never occurred to me that some one would add a fake dome until a friend bought a ranger tug with a fake dome. It never occurred to her that she was advertising a false image, it’s just the way her boat came.

I only have one dome and it's off center. When I was figuring out where to mount it, bridge clearance and other boat obstructions became an issue. The further you get from the equator, the shallower the angle it points at. Other antennas and masts can also block the signal. In the end, mounting it on top of the railing in the stern gave me best unobstructed line of site and not having one on the other side didn't matter.

It's just visible in my avatar.

Ted

Like the people festooned with American flags, it makes you think they “doth protest too much”. What ever happened to quiet confident love of country?

?????????????
I want Mayberry back!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom