Old 11-21-2023, 10:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: nyc
Vessel Name: DD
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
Rain intrusion into bridge

The rain started earlier and going overnight. I just noticed water leaks inside through zippers and canvas where the windows connect to the aft hardtop (sundeck roof). See the picture I attached. I attempted to patch a vinyl tape but failed to seal it. Water still comes in continually.

What caulk can I apply along the perimeter inside or outside to block the water?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20231121205946.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	143703

Name:	IMG20231121214127.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	143704
paulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have never had, or wanted, to caulk canvas. A property designed enclosure shouldn’t leak very much. In a deluge you may get some leaking but normal rain no. As to caulking your existing enclosure I am not sure exactly what caulk I would use.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
The bridge deck is designed to shed water. As long as you’re not holding water and leaking to the interior I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s really troublesome, there are self adhesive vinyl rain gutters you can apply to channel the water for better drainage.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:47 AM   #4
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Over view perspective.
Rain and snow will come. If you block off one area , the water will go somewhere else. Hopefully OFF of the boat. If the rain accumulates in a crack or crevice and freezes, you will have bigger problems. There are some cold weather tapes that work well and can be removed without harm in the spring. Caulking is semi permanent and makes a mess upon removal.
Think of shingles on a roof and the gutters. They dont need to seal 100% as long as the joints and layers overlap.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #5

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Zippers though will often leak, they're not water proof. As to intrusion through the canvas, I've never had that with Sunbrella but if it rains hard enough it may happen. The amount of water you show seems quite minor.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #6

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
The bottom of the canvas shouldn't terminate "inside" your flybridge. It should end on the outside of your flybridge. This way, the water just drips down outside instead of in. In the meantime, I'd put towels down to catch the water until it can be remedied.
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
Guru

City: West Palm Beach
Vessel Name: Sun Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
If it's older sunbrella you can use 303 Marine Fabric Guard. I've been using it for quite a while. It's made for Sunbrella and does restore water repellency. It is a bit expensive but is a cheaper alternative than new canvas.

If you are leaking at the seams or zippers, that's another issue. Not sure where someone would use caulk in canvas though.
PhilPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Middle River
Looking at the picture, my guess is that you have black welt cord in a white track. Looks like the upper part of the track is broken/ missing ? If so, it's new-track time. Not expensive.
How's my guess ?
SIBERNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Remember that when you put caulk on the canvas it is there forever or until you make new canvas…
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:53 PM   #10
Guru

Thanks for your input. water seems to have mostly come in through where the white track attaches to the hard top. I'm going to apply this kitchen/bath caulk along that track.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:11 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulga View Post
Thanks for your input. water seems to have mostly come in through where the white track attaches to the hard top. I'm going to apply this kitchen/bath caulk along that track.
I`m sure RTFirefly will respond in horror to the use of "super silicone' caulk. A bathroom/kitchen silicone can impede painting an affected surface long term but in my experience(at home not onboard) the "roof/gutter" variety does not. For abundant precaution a polyurethane caulk/sealant is safer.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`m sure RTFirefly will respond in horror to the use of "super silicone' caulk. A bathroom/kitchen silicone can impede painting an affected surface long term but in my experience(at home not onboard) the "roof/gutter" variety does not. For abundant precaution a polyurethane caulk/sealant is safer.
I thought the hard top is just fiberglass. Is there painting?

I didn't get the concern about impede painting. This one is called paintable, so is this better?
Old 11-22-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It`s not unusual for gelcoated or painted f/g surfaces to eventually be painted.For unknown reasons I`m barred from acessing home depot but if it`s paintable, it`s paintable, resolving the issue.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:33 PM   #14
Guru

Name:	IMG20231123145131.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	143757

Name:	IMG20231123145306.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	143758

It was the existing sealant has worn away over time. First picture shows the connection at the sundeck top, second picture shows the bridge hard top. The inner side of the connection seems was never caulked before.

I'm going to strip away those cracked stuff on the outside using a caulk tool and apply new sealant.

does the area need "priming" before applying the new sealant? 
Old 11-24-2023, 11:34 AM   #15
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Just putting a little caulking on the exterior should be considered a temporary fix. The right way would be to remove the track, clean both surfaces, check for and fix any soft wood at the screw holes, re-bed the track with quality sealant.
Siliconized latex wouldn’t be on my list of things to use there. I’d be using something like 3m 4200, or maybe butyl tape.
Caulk on the exterior edges doesn’t address all of the potential leaks at the screw holes.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #16
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
Just putting a little caulking on the exterior should be considered a temporary fix. The right way would be to remove the track, clean both surfaces, check for and fix any soft wood at the screw holes, re-bed the track with quality sealant.
Siliconized latex wouldn’t be on my list of things to use there. I’d be using something like 3m 4200, or maybe butyl tape.
Caulk on the exterior edges doesn’t address all of the potential leaks at the screw holes.
Agree on the assessment and approach to repair. My choice of sealant would likely be 3m 4000UV, for its ability to hold up better under UV exposure.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #17
Guru

Thanks for your inputs.
I just ordered 3m 4k from amazon, will apply it tomorrow.
@Bmarler Thanks for reminding me the proper way of fixing. that would be a project when I get time..
Old 11-27-2023, 10:25 PM   #18
Guru

I thought to smear the caulk yesterday but had to wait for the rain. finally got it done this afternoon.
I thought it would be as quick and clean as the Home Depot how to video. it turns out i had to climb onto the roof multiple times. it was a pain to scrape away the existing caulk. the tiny grey chips and dust got everywhere. then I had to wipe clean using alcohol, wait dry. the real pain came when I squeezed the stuff from the caulk gun, no idea why it looks so easy on the video. I had to exert enormous amount of strength and maintain for a long time, as the sealant output was so slow. I may have let out a bit too much, in the end it got all over my hand. it was already dark when I was done. the sealant may take extended duration to fully cure in cold weather (below 39F all day)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #19
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Boats leak, canvas leaks more.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #20
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Be aware of application temperatures when doing any caulking or painting. 3M 4000 series has a lower limit of 40° F for the full cure time. Full cure time is 24 Hrs.

A tip for smoothing out this type of caulk is to use a wet finger (dipped in water) to lightly smooth out a newly deposited bead.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote